What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patient Zero
    Goofy fun. I could watch stupid hot Natalie Dormer read the phone book.
    Zombie films are beyond played out at this point but I had a good time watching
    this.

Stan Against Evil - Season 1
    If you're bummed about Ash Vs Evil Dead being cancelled this fills the void quite nicely.
    Very fun and fast paced. John C McGinley does his usual lovable asshole to perfection and his
    daughter is a real hoot. Binged it in two days. Can't wait to watch season 2.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Hostiles (2018): damn good modern western.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Just had my annual Christmas viewing of Night Train Murders. I have to say, I think this is a better film than Last House: the violence is more shocking, the acting's better (I wish that Laura D'Angelo had made more films before her untimely death), the Macha Méril character is far more complex than the villains in Last House, Morricone's minimalist score is great, and all this wonderful sleaze is set at Christmas! Just right for reminding me of how random and brutish the world is when I've had an overdose of Christmas spirit.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Sounds like I need to re-watch Night Train Murders. I remember thinking it was tamer than I liked.

Last night was Fall Break aka The Mutilator. Second viewing since I've owned the Arrow rel. & I like it. It's gory & has some really good electronic sounds going on during all that gore.

Comment

• Unforgettable
            Forgettable (hehe) thriller. John Dahl's second collaboration
            with Linda Fiorentino. Here she's more of a damsel in distress than
            a scheming evil man eating thundercunt like in The Last Seduction.
            This is Ray Liotta's show through and through. It's nice for a watch
            on a lazy day but very predictable. Figured out who the killer was
            super early on.

Johnny English Strikes Again
            Sooo lazy and sooo stupid. You know exactly what's gonna happen,
            when it's gonna happen and just exactly how much they'll milk it. It's bad
            but has some chuckles despite its utter predictability. These obviously make
            money so they keep making them. I can't hate on this. I'll revisit it sometime,
            when I feel like unwinding and disengaging my brain.

Stan Against Evil - Season 2
            Worse than season 1 but still fun. I doubt they'll be able to sustain this past
            three seasons though. I'mma plow through the third one shortly.
            Nabonga
            Last edited by Nabonga; 12-25-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Stan Against Evil - Season 3
              After a somewhat lackluster second season this went balls out with the weirdness in a great way.
              Loved every second. Now I'm actually looking forward to a fourth season.

Malcolm In The Middle - Seasons 1-7
              Maybe the most consistently great show of all time. Amazingly funny and warm. There isn't really a
              truly weak episode in the whole run. Fantastic television.

Comment

• This week, I have watched TALES FROM THE CRYPT starring Peter Cushing & Joan Collins on Xmas Eve; BLACK CHRISTMAS and SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT Xmas night; RE-ANIMATOR & FROM BEYOND the night after Xmas, & director's cut of CATHY'S CURSE last night.

Also, a bunch of episodes of Mythbusters on The Science Channel.

Comment

• Vilsen - Jakten Pí¥ En Mí¶rdare (a.k.a. Ave Mater)
                  Written by a good friend of mine, whom I've sadly lost touch with over
                  the years. I got to read some of it during the script phase almost ten years ago.
                  I didn't think much of it at the time (was too mentally pre-occupied with every single piece
                  of my life falling apart) except naturally hoping it'd get made, wanting my friend to succeed.
                  Lo and behold it did get made even though it took a bunch of years to arrive. It's a tad too
                  long at almost two hours, but otherwise well made. Good photography, competent score and
                  very decent effects. Surprisingly nasty (good looking) gore, too. Storywise, it's a little confusing but sorta
                  holds together. It's certainly on par with or even better than the rest of the glut of swe-crime
                  out there. For a scrappy indie project it's borderline amazing what they pulled off. Definitely worth
                  a watch.

Red Nights
                  French/Belgian/Chinese co-production with an excellent Carrie Ng on wicked form. People fighting/killing each other
                  over a legendary ancient antique artifact. Gorgeously shot with decent actors and some insane gore violence. Bought
                  this in a video store (yes, they do still exist but they are down to hawking 85% candy and 15% movies, sadly) outlet bin
                  and for paying next to nothing for it it was very decent. It's a cool film but I doubt I'll revisit it a lot.
                  Nabonga
                  Last edited by Nabonga; 12-30-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                    Red Nights
                    French/Belgian/Chinese co-production with an excellent Carrie Ng on wicked form. People fighting/killing each other
                    over a legendary ancient antique artifact. Gorgeously shot with decent actors and some insane gore violence. Bought
                    this in a video store (yes, they do still exist but they are down to hawking 85% candy and 15% movies, sadly) outlet bin
                    and for paying next to nothing for it it was very decent. It's a cool film but I doubt I'll revisit it a lot.
                    I've been wondering about this one, think I'll give it a spin.
                    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• The Favourite
                      Incredibly overrated (must be botfarmed like a motherfucker on Imdb), incredibly
                      tedious, overlong (could shave off 30 minutes without a problem) pointless garbage.
                      Heavily misandrist too and not even trying to be subtle about it. But that's the current
                      thing sadly, and was evident already in the promotional clips they put out. The acting ain't
                      even all that in it. Rachel Weisz and Nicholas Hoult kill it though but are not in it enough.
                      Instead we get to stare at Emma Stone's plastic surgery face alot and Olivia Coleman's
                      strained camp performance. The much touted script is not as witty as the shills try to make
                      it out to be. Worst movie I've seen in forever. It's gonna win a boat load of Oscars and what
                      have you though. It shouldn't. There is a rip out in certain sites. Don't support this trash. Oh,
                      the photography blows too and the soundtrack is hella annoying throughout. Fuck this movie!

The Barbarians
                      Goddamn this was a fun movie. Deodato just nails it, treating the material exactly for what it is
                      and just let's those barbarian dudes goof off for 80 minutes while their sidekick (super cute Eva
                      LaRue) bemusingly chuckles at them. Richard Lynch is a solid villain and Michael Berryman chews
                      scenery like never before. Glorious cheese. Bonus points for a cool George Eastman appearance.
                      The actress who plays the sorceress wrote a review on imdb of it and claims it was a tax write off
                      and never meant to be anything serious. She also writes she had fun and that the Barbarian brothers
                      were funny and nice peeps.

No, The Case Is Happily Resolved
                      Very neat little film. Some average schmoe goes fishing and witnesses a murder of a prostitute. The killer
                      gets a good look at him and decides to circumvent proceedings so he fingers the witness as the culprit
                      and his world falls apart with every stupid, fear based decision. Great acting, cool music and some very
                      palpable dread and expertly created tension. Underrated stuff.

Comment

• I tried to watch Return of the Blind Dead on Shudder but I quickly realized that it was the cut version and skipped it.

I then finally decided to watch Madman. Fun slasher. Worth having in the collection even if the gore and exploitative elements were a bit underwhelming. Great ending though.

Alex K.
                        Last edited by Alex K.; 01-09-2019, 08:00 PM.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• I watched the Shout! Factory BD of WILD AT HEART and I wanted to mention how goddamned amazing the deleted/extended scenes are. I'd never seen them before and some of the material is essential. Crispin Glover's character, Cousin Dell, was originally a much more important character and there's lots of additional stuff involving him; what's left in the movie almost seems pointless now, though still amusing. My favourite additional material involves the trio of freaks hired to kill Johnnie Farragut: not only is there an extended version of his death scene, but also two deeply unsettling and cruel scenes beforehand where the killers befriend Johnnie in the hotel lounge just to toy with him. I found it really disturbing how they fucked with him, even though it's only a contract and they don't even know him.
                          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Bird Box-Starts off crappy. Improves about 30 minutes in. The craps out 20 minutes before the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                              Bird Box-Starts off crappy. Improves about 30 minutes in. The craps out 20 minutes before the end.
                              In other words, it's fairly decent for all the material in which John Malkovich appears ;)
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                                Bird Box-Starts off crappy. Improves about 30 minutes in. The craps out 20 minutes before the end.
                                Typical Netflix genre film, then.

Comment

Working...
                                X