No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Warmed Up (David Blyth, 1984) - Before Peter Jackson, there was David Blyth, the original Kiwi bad boy who, 6 years after outraging New Zealand critics with his first feature Angel Mine (1978), delivered this, the first Kiwi horror film and its a doozy. A zombie movie by way of a mad scientist movie by way of a revenge movie, it was once wonderfully dubbed "an apocalypse of slaughter" by Alejandro Jodorowsky. After quite a bit of build-up, the real carnage begins in the final third when a horde of thawed out, cryogenically frozen undead (hence the title) are unleased upon the protagonists and reek havoc inside a strange clinic where the nurses wear fetishistic mesh surgical masks, which might defeat the purpose of wearing a surgical mask but nonetheless it looks sexy as hell. Marvelous gore splatter and highly stylized, Italian influenced lighting ensues. Sadly missing elements prevent this from being properly restored and the DVD that was released in NZ is OOP but there are grey market boot options. Really nothing else like it and its status as the first NZ horror film makes it an important work.
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• I'd love to see Death Warmed Up again. I remember the vhs artwork but very little about the film other than I liked it & wanted to see it again.

Saturday, I watched William Castle's Bug then The VVitch and after that, it was From a Whisper to a Scream.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keeth View Post
        I'd love to see Death Warmed Up again. I remember the vhs artwork but very little about the film other than I liked it & wanted to see it again.
        One of my favorite covers:

LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• Dr. Giggles (1992): The embodiment of 90's horror that I somehow never watched until now. The movie was kind of a watershed moment for all the wrong reasons. I distinctly remember the hardcore's in the horror community vehemently rejecting this and coming to the conclusion that mainstream horror was done. Thus enters Chas Balun and the underground tape trading scene. A few years later and the DVD boom happens where all manners of cult pictures are gloriously resurrected.

As for Dr. Giggles it's okay. It's a totally predictable film that has some good jokes and gore effects. It has a reasonable amount of style in addition to its self-awareness. 6/10 movie. It's a little surprising it never became a franchise.
          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker- if you took a shot every time the word "fag" was used in this film, you'd pass out before getting to the end of the movie!

Comment

• Saturday night was Walter Hill's Southern Comfort then Macon County Line, the grim film starring Jethro from The Beverly Hillbillies.

Comment

• Woke waaaaay too early this morning so I caught most of Steve McQueen in Tom Horn. Pretty good; I've seen it before but it always slips my mind when I think of westerns.

I also saw Charles Bronson in J.Lee Thompson's ridiculous film, The White Buffalo. This falls in the "Must be seen to be believed' category!

Comment

• White Buffalo kicks ass!

Last night we coerced some friends into watching Science Crazed. It was fun to kind of dissect it as it played out, this is my 4th time seeing it (damn) but the more I watch it the more I'm confused by it. I'm still not entirely convinced the one and done director wasn't trying to make an art film at times.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Couldn't sleep last night, got up and watched The Vagrant (1992) at 3 am. Bill Paxton was awesome, as always, as were Marshall Bell, as the title character, and Michael Ironside. The film was over the top and all over the place, but was still immensely entertaining. Has any actor ever had as many cool, unique death scenes as Ironside? I don't think so!

Comment

• The Beast Within was last night. I like that film quite a bit. I remember the tv spot. It has a silly plot that is unlike anything else at the time.

Comment

• I haven't seen The Beast Within in over 15 or so years. I remember thinking that the effects were neat.

Mikey (1992): an oft-overlooked killer kid movie that went straight to video. A predictable but still fairly enjoyable entry.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Wet Hot American Summer-Haven't seen it since 2003 or so. My lady and I watched the first season of the Netflix show. Found out she had never seen the movie. So we watched it. Still is really funny.

Up next is either Evil Toons or Sleepstalker Last Rites of the Sandman.

Comment

• Yesterday: Walking Tall (the murder of his wife is brutal!); The Girl on the Train; Contracted, & Maniac (remake). The last three were on free Showtime.

Comment

• Death Warrant (USA, 1990) [VoD] - 3/5
                              Undercover policeman goes to prison to find out who is murdering inmates. Dumb Van Damme vehicle lacks in originality, but not in entertainment. Very passable b-action.

The Burning (USA, 1981) [VoD] - 3/5
                              Solid summer camp slasher with passable characters, plenty of nudity and some memorable gore bits (courtesy of Tom Savini). The killer is pretty decent, too. As someone who's not that much into 80s slashers, I enjoyed this one more than Friday the 13th or most other slashers from the era.

Anita (Sweden, 1973) [DVD] - 2/5
                              16 year old nymphomaniac (Christina Lindberg) develops a bad reputation after sleeping with every guy in town! Thinly written sexploitation could use tighter editing and more outrageous scenarios, but there are a few points of interest, such as showing nymphomania as a sickness that brings zero pleasure to the person herself, and rather decent performances by both Lindberg and young Stellan Skarsgí¥rd as a musician and psychology student who tries help her.

Comment

• NEW JACK CITY

This was one of my favorite films back in High School. I bought the VHS from Columbia House and watched it countless times. Years later I assumed it that it was probably garbage because I didn't hear get talked about much and the studio didn't give it much fanfare when it was released on DVD and Blu-ray. I picked it up recently expecting to get a good laugh. I was surprised that it's incredibly well shot and consistently entertaining. Seriously, the cinematography is outstanding. The film never slows down either. It's cartoonish but a ton of fun. It goes without saying that the music is pretty great too. The 2012 looks terrific.

Comment

Working...
                                X