What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaughter Hotel/Cold-Blooded Beast/La Bestia Uccide A Sangue Freddo
    This never fails to crack me up. It's so moronically great. With Di Leo completely uninterested,
    the pacing is whack as hell but it doesn't matter. It's hella entertaining in all the right and wrong
    ways.

Watched the recent 88 Films blu and while flawed it's certainly the best out there currently. Scanner
    noise is there but for the most part it looks pretty dang decent. Finally they unfucked all the
    fuckery of previous releases on dvd and blu-ray. Uncut and with no audio issues. Cool Rosalba interview
    on the disc. She seems like a fun old lady. Looks fantastic for her age, too.

Hired To Kill
    This movie beckoned me all the time from the video store shelf back in the day. Never got around
    to renting it but I remember clearly staring lovingly at the clunky VHS case every time I was in there. I was too
    young to be able to rent it and I wasn't allowed to watch such filth by my peeps. Deep down in my soul,
    though, I knew this movie just had to be all kinds of awesome.

As I got older I bought the uk dvd on a whim, having forgotten all about it, but as I watched it it slowly
    dawned on me that... holy shit!!! This was THAT MOVIE!!!!!!!! It was fate. Recently Arrow had it's summer
    sale and I decided it was time to upgrade to Blu. Still bonkers fun with a rare Brian Thompson starring role.
    Crazy beautiful Barbara Niven and drunk off his ass Oliver Reed certainly helps, too. Cool release. I can finally
    retire my old shitty uk dvd.
    Nabonga
    Last edited by Nabonga; 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
      Hellraiser (UK, 1987) - 4/5
      Dark, genuinely scary horror fantasy hasn't lost its bite. I watched this at King Records' annual Summer Horror Fest last year, where they screen Hellraiser every year, in a daytime screening and was delighted to see the audience consisted of three men and six women! Japanese girls got taste!

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (UK, 1988) [DVD] - 3/5
      Not bad for a horror sequel, although it largely trades "horror" for "characters running in the middle of special effects". Still entertaining and features some gruesome moments. When I saw the first two films as a teenager, they both scared the shit out of me. Now, only the first film retains the power to scare.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (USA, 1992) [DVD] - 1.5/5
      Despite the absence of real horror, and the abundance of irritating characters, this one isn't so bad until the idiotic last 30 minutes that makes absolutely no sense and is frustrating as hell. The amount if explosions makes it look like a bad Michael Bay film.

I don't suppose the rest of the Hellraisers are worth my time?
      Might want to check out part 5. I think that's the last good entry in the series but it's pretty divisive. Since you didn't like Hellbound I hesitate to recommend part 5.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        Might want to check out part 5. I think that's the last good entry in the series but it's pretty divisive. Since you didn't like Hellbound I hesitate to recommend part 5.
        Thanks. Might give it a try some day.

Comment

• Bride Of Re-Animator
          I don't know. This seems... all over the place. Certainly didn't hate it but felt very underwhelming.
          Like something's missing. Maybe I was just tired when watching it.

Psycho 2
          Brilliant sequel. I love it. Suspenseful and expertly executed. The picture on Arrows blu-ray is kinda
          shit though but apparently the same goes for Shout Factory's release. Dated transfer???

The Slasher Is The Sex Maniac
          I love the American title of this nasty hella sleazy giallo. Code Red's Blu looks fairly good but the aspect ratio
          differs from Camera Obscura's dvd. I'm completely clueless about aspect ratios but I have CO's dvd so I'll pop
          it in someday to compare. Also the running time is shorter. No sd inserts as on the old dvd. It still packs
          a sleazy punch without them but it would've been nice for completist sakes. Hopefully Camera Obscura does an
          upgrade eventually. In the mean time this does just fine. Mean spirited movie and one of my all time favorites in
          the genre.

Comment

• Baby Driver (UK/USA, 2017) [DCP] - 3/5
            Part entertaining car chase / heist flick, part irritating hipster movie by the world's most over-rated director Edgar Wright. Very watchable, and features some nice driving, though there's a bit too much focus on making things look cool rather than just letting them be cool. The climax is a bit lame unfortunately. The film also feels like a teen version of Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive: louder and hippier, with a surprisingly similar story and some characters.

Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
            Bride Of Re-Animator
            I don't know. This seems... all over the place. Certainly didn't hate it but felt very underwhelming.
            Like something's missing. Maybe I was just tired when watching it.
            I watched this a couple of weeks ago and had similar feelings. The opening sequence was pretty great. The rest was ok but a bit underwhelming really. 2.5/5 from me.

Comment

• I felt the same way about BABY DRIVER, Takuma.

And I kept thinking that the climax was going to be some all-stops-out car chase. I was wrong.

Not a bad film, but not deserving of the recent praise heaped like ketchup on it.

Comment

• Fargo - Season 3
                Still pretty excellent three seasons in, though the "men are scum" propaganda is beginning to get a bit tiresome. Every man is either, incompetent, a coward, stupid, unreasonable or a violent unhinged psycho and the poor wimmyn have to fight them constantly. All that put aside, you can't deny this is great tv. Expertly, written, directed, acted and produced. You just have to filter out the misandrist propaganda. I've never been much of a fan of Ewan McGregor but man did he absolutely kill it here. And Mary Elizabeth Winstead is always super solid (very underrated actress). I still think season 2 is the best one so far, despite even more "men are evil" bullshit. Kudos to David Thewlis by the way for giving me the creeps just being on camera. One of the most disgusting characters of all time.

Comment

• Tour De Pharmacy
                  Slightly amusing but wears incredibly thin after ten minutes.
                  Bear in mind it's only 40. John Cena steals the show. To be
                  honest I watched this just because of Dolph Lundgren.

7 Chinese Brothers
                  Jason Schwartzman doing the quirky indie thing. I don't know
                  why but i love these things. Always have. It kinda runs out of
                  steam after 45 minutes but is still entertaining enough. Well worth
                  a watch.

Night Train Murders
                  Bought this on a whim. I'd never seen it before but man what a nasty
                  little gem. Helga Ulmann gets pretty sleazy in this film. Macha Méril is an
                  awesome actress. Basically Last House On The Left On A Train. Very happy
                  with this purchase.

Comment

• The Ruling Class
                    Catch 22

Why are these not on blu-ray??? Classic cult films.

Comment

• Eerie Midnight Horror Show
                      Some marketing rocket scientist thought it would be wise to capitalize on the Rocky
                      Horror Picture Show phenomena, even though this is a shitty Exorcist knock off and
                      they have nothing whatsoever in common. This has a great cast (some really awesome
                      names in here) but it looses steam very quickly. Not sleazy enough and certainly not enough
                      Rassimov to hold your interest. The lead is weak though she gives it her all (bless her heart). It
                      had potential but after 30 minutes it becomes a real chore to endure. Code Red's Blu looks pretty
                      rough but it's a big step up from previous releases. All in all, a silly and semi-interesting curio that
                      could've been so much more.

Sex With A Smile
                      Episodic sex comedy that's entertaining but way overlong. The Aldo Maccione/Sydne Rome vignette
                      could've been snipped entirely. Best parts are the episodes starring Edwige Fenech (she's a real
                      smokeshow here), Thomas Milian, Barbara Bouchet, Enrico Montesano and the very best one, starring
                      Marty Feldman/Dayle Haddon. Feldman mugs like crazy but it really works (that guy got crazy mileage
                      out of plain looking goofy) and comes out as the clear winner. All in all very silly stuff. I wish this would
                      get an english friendly blu-ray. The Italian dvd looked very rough in spots so a restoration is in order.

Comment

• Baby Driver. I concur with the general sense of disappointment. After the raves it got I was really expecting something else altogether. The last 30 minutes of this are some of the worst going around at the moment. One of the characters suddenly becoming the Terminator, Kevin Spaceys absurd actions, the whole bit with the prison. Fuck me there's some bad stufff there... Overall it's just so confused as to what it is. There's no clear line here of what the central narrative is. I guess the romance is supposed to be important but it's so unconvincing. That girl would have run a mile from Baby and been 100% justified in doing so. On top of all that it really like tv.
                        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• It doesn't help that they cast that charisma vacuum Engolt Dingolt Bengolt. I have never laid eyes upon a more uninteresting person (maybe Jessica Chastain).

Comment

• This is very true.
                            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Cannibal Women In The Avocado Jungle Of Death
                              Cheezy misfire. Way less sleazy than it needs to be. Very "Meh...".
                              Fred Olen Ray or Jim Wynorski would have done wonders with this
                              material.

Comment

• Killing Gunther
                                ...WOW... Complete shit. Unfunny douche bags fart around on
                                camera for 1h 7 min until Arnie pops in (during the remaining 20) for a much
                                needed charisma injection. Avoid like the plague. The end credits state: "Gunther
                                will return in..." Uhm, yeah... please don't.

Entourage - The Movie
                                Pretty unnecessary film. This doesn't add or subtract very much to or from the show.
                                I watched it like 2 hours ago and I've almost forgotten it already. Did they have a shitty
                                make up artist on this or did they go ape with de-aging CGI. The actors almost look fake
                                at times. That's probably my biggest takeaway from this movie. Cool show. Pointless film.

Comment

Working...
                                X