• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security
    Antonio Banderas and Ben Kingsley go to Bulgaria slumming for
    paychecks. It's a shitty Die Hard-knock off. This time in a ratty
    mall. A kid witness survives a hit on a U.S Marshal motorcade,
    escapes into the nearby mall with the ruthless killers in hot pursuit.
    Banderas security guard (who of course is a lethal ex soldier) is about
    to have a rough night at his new job. I loved it. Great fun! Banderas is
    always solid not to mention bad ass. Just a solid ass B movie.

Ned Rifle
    Odd film but strangely compelling. A bible thumping young man sets
    out on a cross country journey to kill his dad. I think I kinda love it.
    Well paced and with lots of good dialogue. Aubrey Plaza is probably
    the biggest name here. She's, well... Aubrey Plaza. She doesn't have
    a whole lot of range beyond quirky and hot as fuck. And hey, I'm a
    simple man. It works for me. After all I sat through Sandra Bullock's
    entire filmography and there are some true stinkers in there.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• The Hound of the Baskervilles (USA, 1939) - 3/5
      Enjoyable, but very straight forward film adaptation sometimes visualizes the storyline to the point of making it feel "dumbed down". Basil Rathbone makes an excellent Sherlock Holmes, Nigel Bruce is a clumsy Watson. Richard Greene (as Henry Baskerville) was apparently cast mainly to attract the ladies, and has a corresponding amount of character depth.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (UK, 1959) - 3.5/5
      This Hammer version is better than the 1939 version for a number of reasons. First of all, the film has more character depth and shades of dark. This is especially evident in the character of Henry Baskerville, played by Christopher Lee, who is now a slightly arrogant man suffering from a minor heart condition. The character of Watson is also given a far more honourable portrayal. While not strictly a horror film, this also comes with evident Hammer horror influences. Some of the changes and new scenes are excellent, adding new surprises to the familiar storyline while still remaining faithful enough to its spirit.

Sherlock Holmes (USA, 2009) - 1.5/5
      Flashy, horribly overlong (130 min) modern Holmes is exactly what you'd expect from "Guy Ritchie doing a big budget Hollywood action film". Although it pretends to be a mystery, is mainly plays out like a supernatural superhero action film with irritating fast editing, loads of CGI and a superhuman giant of a henchman that Holmes keeps fighting throughout the film. The annoying screenplay creates a new storyline that builds on elements that Doyle (no doubt deliberately) only briefly featured in his stories ("hey, let's make Irene a major character who kicks ass and fights bad guys! Cool, right?). There are some positives, however. The Victorian London looks generally good and Robert Downey Jr. is not too bad as a darker, socially withdrawn Holmes. Jude Law's Watson on the other hand is utterly uninteresting without any personality, positive or negative

Comment

• I started the monumental Criterion Zatoichi box yesterday. Seems like a good project for the summer.

Comment

• PET SEMATARY - Holy shit, this movie has not aged well. It's laughably bad and amateurish, with noticeably poor direction: the funeral scene is embarrassing. Lousy acting from most of the cast, too - Denise Crosby and the actress playing Ellie Creed were particularly bad. In its own way, this is as crappy as MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE. It could benefit from a remake.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• But... but... a woman directed it so it's automatically superdupermegaawesomebestestever! Hellatrailblaizing etc, etc.

Brain Damage
            Still great. Henenlotter is a mad genius. Arrows disc is great with interesting
            extra material. The superfan with his shitty music could've been left out, but
            whatever. Awesome film!

Comment

• Halfway through Cimino's Heaven's Gate. Marvellous looking film, with a wonderful sense of time and place, a lived in and extremely ambitious vision of the mythological West. I really like it. Kristofferson and Walken are great in it.

Comment

• Darkness (Juraj Herz, 2009) - Mentioned this in the 2000's horror thread. Despite the somewhat bland title (its original title is T.M.A. and I do believe that "tma" is the Czech word for "darkness" although that doesn't explain why its stylized that way.), this is a fresh take on some classic haunted house/ghost story tropes from a master returning the to horror genre where he got his start with the 1968 classic The Cremator. Its both a literal and metaphorical ghost story with the mental ghosts from the main characters past playing just as big a part as the actual specters haunting his old childhood abode. Herz avoids the cliché jump scares that plague modern haunting films in favor of a slower, more psychological approach and although the baroque, colorful style of his earlier films is noticeably absent here, he makes up for it with an atmosphere of mounting dread and sadness with a WWII backstory that's plenty potent. Some nice, Italian style gore to be found too including an eye gag that Fulci would have loved.

Hot Blooded (David Blyth, 1997) - In yet another case of funky titling/re-titlings, this was released as "Red Blooded American Girl II" or simply "Red Blooded" in select markets and sold as a sequel to Blyth's 1990 vampire film Red Blooded American Girl which makes not one damn bit of sense as this isn't a vampire film. What it is however, is an outstanding exploitation road/revenge/action flick. A bit all over the place tonally, starting off as sleazy and at times kinky (it is a Blyth film after all) fun, then taking a hard left turn into skin crawlingly uncomfortable territory before going back to the sleazy fun while keeping its dark undercurrent before ending on a real downer. Such is life when a naive college freshman gets led down the wrong path after taking off with a truck stop hooker. Had this been made 20 years earlier it probably would have been a drive-in hit but coming out in the late 90's unfortunately meant it immediately went into direct to video/premium cable anonymity which is a damn shame as Blyth certainly elevates it from some random DTV quicky into something that's actually rather emotionally engaging. The gung-ho performance from Kari Wuhrer also has a lot to do with that, she's amazing.
                LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                  Darkness (Juraj Herz, 2009)
                  I didn't know Herz was working this recently. Cool. I would love to see more of the man's work. Have only seen Morgiana and The Cremator, but they're both wonderful films.

Comment

• Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                    I didn't know Herz was working this recently. Cool. I would love to see more of the man's work. Have only seen Morgiana and The Cremator, but they're both wonderful films.
                    He's done quite a bit of TV since the late 90's but yeah he's still active. Darkness is a solid film. Different from the likes of The Cremator and Morgiana but you can still tell a master is at the helm. He managed to make a modern feeling horror film that manages to avoid all the negative connotations usually attached to modern horror films!
                    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• I bought a bunch of recent films, trying to play catch up with the cinema of our time for once. Last night I watched The Arrival and Green Room. Both were great. No masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination, but really competent films. Tonight I think I'll watch The Neon Demon and Love.

Comment

• The Cynic, The Rat, And The Fist
                        First Merli movie I've seen besides Mannaja. Super cool dude and a complete bad ass.
                        Tomas Milian steels the film however as The Chinaman. Lenzi directs with his usual expertise.
                        He must be the most solid director in Euro Cult history. This is a genre he's extra comfortable with
                        and it shows. Not Almost Human great but pretty close. One big flaw... The film grinds to a dead stop
                        with the insurance building heist, a part of the script he really didn't want to do according to the accompanying
                        interview but was forced to. That should've been left out because the film moves at a great exciting pace
                        up until that point. Still very entertaining. I'm gonna check out more Merli stuff.

Comment

• Drag me to hell-Was looking for something to watch with my father. And he didn't remember seeing this. PRetty fun movie. And makes me want more horror/comedy from Sam Rami.

Comment

• Birth of the Living Dead (2013): excellent docu about the making of Night of the Living Dead. Highly recommended!
                            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                              Drag me to hell-Was looking for something to watch with my father. And he didn't remember seeing this. PRetty fun movie. And makes me want more horror/comedy from Sam Rami.
                              My daughter really loves this one.

Comment

• Hellraiser (UK, 1987) - 4/5
                                Dark, genuinely scary horror fantasy hasn't lost its bite. I watched this at King Records' annual Summer Horror Fest last year, where they screen Hellraiser every year, in a daytime screening and was delighted to see the audience consisted of three men and six women! Japanese girls got taste!

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (UK, 1988) [DVD] - 3/5
                                Not bad for a horror sequel, although it largely trades "horror" for "characters running in the middle of special effects". Still entertaining and features some gruesome moments. When I saw the first two films as a teenager, they both scared the shit out of me. Now, only the first film retains the power to scare.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (USA, 1992) [DVD] - 1.5/5
                                Despite the absence of real horror, and the abundance of irritating characters, this one isn't so bad until the idiotic last 30 minutes that makes absolutely no sense and is frustrating as hell. The amount if explosions makes it look like a bad Michael Bay film.

I don't suppose the rest of the Hellraisers are worth my time?
                                Takuma
                                Last edited by Takuma; 08-08-2017, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X