• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadbeat at Dawn (1988)

***1/2 out of *****

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Comment

• The Panic in Needle Park (1971)

***1/2 out of *****

All Cheerleaders Die (2013)

** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Comment

• Right now, Stunts starring Robert Forster & last night was Fernando di Leo's The Boss.

Comment

• Burnt Offerings (1976)

***1/2 out of *****

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

**** out of *****

Comment

• I watched Switchblade Sisters tonight, the Austrian BD. It looks great and what an superlatively great exploitation film it is!

Also rewatched City if the Living Dead, probably for the twentieth time or something. I've kept coming back to Fulci's gothic horror films ever since I first saw Zombi 2 as a teenager, that got me started on the whole Italian thing, as it probably has for many of you. I think City is my favourite, although that's something that differs through different phases of my life. The atmosphere is so dark, brooding, oppressive and surreal, like a nightmare on celluloid. The dark, misty streets of Dunwich, the soundtrack with strange animal sounds and Frizzi's downbeat music, the ghastly violence. Everything is maggots, entrails, disfigurement and death.

Comment

• Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
              I watched Switchblade Sisters tonight, the Austrian BD. It looks great and what an superlatively great exploitation film it is!
              A fine piece of exploitation indeed.

Also rewatched City if the Living Dead, probably for the twentieth time or something. I've kept coming back to Fulci's gothic horror films ever since I first saw Zombi 2 as a teenager, that got me started on the whole Italian thing, as it probably has for many of you. I think City is my favourite, although that's something that differs through different phases of my life. The atmosphere is so dark, brooding, oppressive and surreal, like a nightmare on celluloid. The dark, misty streets of Dunwich, the soundtrack with strange animal sounds and Frizzi's downbeat music, the ghastly violence. Everything is maggots, entrails, disfigurement and death.
              'Suspiria' is what got me into Italian horror. I actually saw 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' (the UK title for 'Zombie 2' that I prefer) some time before and I wasn't that impressed. I thought it was overrated then and I still consider it to be now although I can give it props for some aspects - the cinematography, certain sublimely executed set-pieces, the gore and the look of the zombies thanks to the fantastic special make-up effects and the atmosphere induced by Fabio Frizzi's excellent score. I think 'City of the Living Dead' is a more solid film and 'The Beyond' is Lucio Fulci's horror masterpiece.

Spy (2015)

***1/2 out of *****

Comment

• The Dentist 2 (1998)

** out of *****

The Purge: Anarchy (2014)

***1/2 out of *****

Comment

• Went to visit an old friend yesterday who called me up recently to mention that he had installed a scope screen/projector /Dolby Atmos set up in his den. After a nice shabu shabu dinner at a local shinsengumi, once we got back to his house, he pulled out the Mondo Vision blu ray of Andrzej Å»uÅ‚awski's POSSESSION. I haven't seen that film in years when it aired on TMC but what a revelation to watch it in full HD glory with lossless mono audio on a proper scope screen. :up: The subway scene was just as haunting as I remember. My second favorite Adjani perf after ONE DEADLY SUMMER.

Comment

• Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)

*** out of *****

Comment

• Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1976)

***1/2 out of *****

Comment

• Midnight Ride

Late, post Golan-Globus, Cannon with the incredible lineup of Michael Dudikoff - Mark Hamill - Robert Mitchum.
                        Very bizarre. No really likeable characters. But as the Cannon completist that I am (And Dudikoff fan) I had to buy the DVD to add to my collection.
                        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Wanda, the Wicked Warden (1977)

** out of *****

The Heat (2013)

*** out of *****

Comment

• The Stuff (1985)

***1/2 out of *****

Warcraft (2016)

This was a lot better than I expected it to be considering how crap the trailers were and the mostly mixed to negative reviews. I actually quite enjoyed it.

*** out of *****

Comment

• Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)

If it weren't for the unnecessary, misguided, badly written and overlong Batgirl prologue, I would give this a higher rating as the rest of it - the actual adaptation of the graphic novel - is excellent.

*** out of *****

The Woods (2006)

***1/2 out of *****

Comment

• I, Madman (1989)

*** out of *****

12 Angry Men (1957)

****1/2 out of *****

Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs (1974)

**** out of *****

Basket Case 2 (1990)

***1/2 out of *****

Comment

Working...
                                X