No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night was DOGS & THE WITCH. Both were very good.

Also, I scanned through a Annie Sprinkle dvd released by Alpha Blue a friend threw into a package.

Comment

• Watched the original Universal Soldier last night. Such an awesome movie. Dolph Lundgren fucking knocks it out of the park. He's fantastic in this film and it makes me sad that his career kinda tanked after this and Mnemonic. Imagine what could've been if he'd continued to rise in the ranks in Hollywood instead of farting around Bulgaria for 15 years making DTV-crap.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Watched the 2002 B&W short film, Lingchi - Echoes of A Historical Photograph by Chen Chieh-Jen. Lingchi is an ancient Chinese torture/execution method known as "Death by A Thousand Cuts" & it was brought to prominence in the West by French post-structuralist Georges Bataille in his work, Tears of Eros.

Comment

• Yesterday was The Star Chamber on a cable channel. I would like to see a blu-ray release for this film. I think I watch it once a year & it's always on tv.

Last night was What Have You Done to Solange?; great film & I have liked Cristina Galbo after seeing her run around in Living Dead at Manchester Morgue in boots.

Comment

• I re-watched Filipino director, Lav Diaz's NORTE, THE END OF HISTORY earlier. Some of his works are tedious and self indulgent but in spite of that, I attempt to watch as many of his films that I can get my hands on.

To counter that bleak and despairing film, I decided to do a complete 180 and watch something whimsical and chose the Korean kaiju flick, TYRANNO'S CLAW. Imagine a b-movie version of Clan of the Cave Bear meets Jurassic Park.

Comment

• Last night was Symptoms which I thought was pretty damn good!

Comment

• Fidelity (Andrzej Zulawski, 2000) - Zulawski's penultimate film and for a while it was looking like it was going to be his last until Cosmos (2015) came along. Even if it had been his last film though it still would have been a monumental exit. Nearly impossible to discuss without drawing comparisons to L'important c'est d'aimer (1975) given its central themes of a love triangle, photography and the juxtaposition of "high" and "low" art. What's especially interesting though is Sophie Marceau's character could be seen as both equal parts Romy Schneider and Fabio Testi.

A lot of reviews have referred to it as Zulawski's most "normal" or "restrained" film and sure, by Zulawski standards it probably seems almost sedate when compared to something like On the Silver Glove (1977/88) or Szamanka (1996) but at the same time, can anyone else name a romantic drama that also finds time for black market organ trafficking, underground fight clubs and the occasional ghost? Make no mistake, this is Zulawski through and through with plenty of loony side characters and the occasional violent freak out.

Not to sound like a broken record as this is probably the millionth time I've called a film "exhausting" on here, let alone a Zulawski film, but there's really no other way to put it with a film like this. Not because of the films nearly 3 hour running time which flies by, but the material is so heavy and the performances so next level (Marceau, in her last role for Zulawski is at her absolute best here) that it leaves anyone that Zulawski manages to speak to with the film utterly drained.

Andrzej Korzynski also delivers one of his finest scores for Zulawski. Try not to turn into a quivering mess when the achingly gorgeous main theme plays over the closing credits:

Tom Clark
                Last edited by Tom Clark; 05-31-2016, 07:57 PM.
                LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• Jurassic World. Surprisingly, I thought it was pretty good. On par with the original and I'm not a huge fan of the original but will respect it for what it is. I thought everything in the film worked in the most part and didn't insult the intelligence of its audience which is pretty rare in these blockbusters. Easily the best of the sequels. Hands down.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• "The Joy of Painting" with Bob Ross is on Netflix. I can't freaking believe it. I also can't believe that when I typed "bob" into google the first suggestion is "bob ross". Had it not been for Patton Oswald I would have thought I was the only person not in a nursing home that had heard of Bob Ross. Back in the mid-90's my wife and I would occasionally get caught in a trance when landing on his show during a bout of channel flipping. All seems right in the world when Bob is painting "happy little trees".

Last night I fell asleep to Bob Ross feeding some "happy little squirrels" while painting some "happy little waves".

Comment

• Just tore through season 1 of Fargo in a slack-jawed frenzy. Lots of awesome actors in this and Billy Bob Thornton is beyond great here. Steals every second of every scene he's in. Fantastic stuff!

Comment

• I had a crazy awesome double bill last night, after not having watched anything for a few weeks, with The Honeymoon Killers followed by Symptoms. Good times, loved them both and I can't get enough of the "woman going mad" genre that Symptoms belongs to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                          Just tore through season 1 of Fargo in a slack-jawed frenzy. Lots of awesome actors in this and Billy Bob Thornton is beyond great here. Steals every second of every scene he's in. Fantastic stuff!
                          Wait'll you see Season 2 -- it's noticeably better.

Comment

• Oh, I'm on it. Gonna start with season 2 tonight. :-)

Comment

• The Passage; pretty cool thriller/adventure film with some exploitation thrown in. Has an all-star cast, some pretty bloody violence, & Malcolm McDowell in a Nazi jock strap.

Comment

• Idiocracy.
                                Freaking brilliant comedy. Laughed my ass off the whole way through.

Comment

Working...
                                X