What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Killer Reserved Nine Seats
    Very atmospheric giallo. Good performances. It's a shame Janet Agren was in it for such a short time. Pretty harsh violence at times and the killer's mask is fucking creepy! The film could've been at least ten minutes shorter but it did hold my attention at all times. I'm starting to dig Chris Avram more and more. Smooth ass dude. And Lucretia Love! Whatta dame.

Top Sensation
    Man I love this film. Shameless sleaze but excellent shameless sleaze. Well acted and sooo entertaining. Dig the boat setting and the camera surveillance motif. And it has two of the hottest women on the planet at that time. What's not to love. Whatever became of Eva Thulin though? She was very beautiful and did a more than adequate acting job.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• A very Texas weekend for me:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 followed by Extreme Prejudice
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• In a "now or never" moment over last 4 days, watched Jacques Rivette's 13 hour opus, OUT 1. Quite an experience and have yet to digest it properly so don't have my thoughts on it. Not one for those traditional types who watch a film for a story and resolution, that's for sure, youll feel cheated at the end. I don't think this is a "must watch" that's for certain, more a "directors cut" for those who liked the 4 hour edited SPECTRE version and want to explore further. Plenty of pointless artsy noodling and red herrings (in fact the whole film is like on big red herring), I can see why this was rejected by French TV originally!! the whole film COULD be looked upon as being an elaborate joke by the director!

Edit - I like what it says in the liner notes about it being "like watching the rehearsal for a film which was never made" which almost perfectly sums it up. another way of looking at it is its like watching a film with a lot of the key scenes missing.
        Bogart
        Last edited by Bogart; 03-28-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Just watched the excellent OUT 1 documentary which comes with Arrow's Jacques Rivette package. This provided some explanation / insight into why the film is the way it is.

There was no script. Just an outline of character names and which ones were going to meet and in which locations. The actors invented their own characters. There was a vague notion that the film was about Balzac's History of the Thirteen. The actors improvised each scene themselves without knowing what other groups were improvising. Scenes were then shot to link it all together.

So there is basically no story to this film. It is NOT a clever film with hidden meaning. Its just a rough shot series of improvisations with some kind of attempt to create a story out of it all.

Rivette's cop out for why the film has no real conclusion is that he was inspired by some kind of French political movement in 1968 which never resulted in much.
          Bogart
          Last edited by Bogart; 03-29-2016, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• Watched both Wayne's World films earlier. Now watching this Generation X documentary show off NatGeo channel. Christian Slater narrates the show.

Comment

• American Tiger (Sergio Martino, 1990) - Going by a title like "American Tiger", the box cover of the US video release and former Olympian Mitch Gaylord as the leading man, it'd be easy to mistake this for another direct to video actioner and the general set-up wouldn't feel out of place in any normal thriller, ie an average, innocent guy races to clear his name after getting caught up in a murder conspiracy. You'd think that right? Think again because this is something else entirely. Martino was no stranger to making films with bi-polar mood swings as evidenced by his two early Mondo's as well as the lunatic poliziotteschi/giallo/comedy hybrid Suspected Death of a Minor (1975) but American Tiger is genre hopping taken to another level. Thrown into the conspiracy mix are Chinese witchcraft, kitty cats with second sight, cobra's slithering out of motherfucker's heads AND Donald Pleasence as a demonic televangelist with an amazingly stereotypical TV preacher southern accent.
              LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• Watched the Blood Island movies. I was a little indifferent to them. Had I watched these flicks when I was a kid I would have LOVED them. The movies are in a weird in-between for the genre. It still has the skeleton and aesthetic of oldschool horror films from 30's up until the 60's. But it has some fairly graphic gore and mutant/zombie design that is very close to the explosion of gory horror films from the late 70's and onwards. There's not a lot of movies like this, only modern film I could think of like this is Zombie Holocaust.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• So I finally got to watch Milano Calibro 9 2 nights ago. Wow, what an awesome film. Had such a great time with it.

In the supplements there are images of some delicious Bouchet nudity yet it's nowhere to be seen in the film itself. Was it shot then deleted or was it a thing they just did for an accompanying photo novel? Anyway, definitely looking forward to watching more Di Leo crime flicks.

Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key
                  To me this is Martinos absolute masterpiece. Awesome thriller with fantastic performances all around. Luigi Pistilli is such a bastard in this, haha. To be fair, every character is. Atmospheric, wonderfully shot, perfectly acted and with beautiful music. Arrow's release is very much recommended!!!

42nd Street Memories: The Rise and Fall of America's Most Notorious Street
                  Interesting subject but quite repetetive doc. Lots of info gets repeated by many people. More scuzzy anecdotes would've been nice. Nice Pieces-extra.

Comment

• I'm in the process of watching Gangs of Wasseypur (sp?). Third night tonight. Such an awesome film!

Also Nabonga, I agree about Your Vice being Martino's masterpiece.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                      Luigi Pistilli is such a bastard in this, haha.
                      You can practically smell the J&B seeping through the TV whenever he's on screen. His finest hour if you ask me although great as he and Fenech are I think Strindberg steals the show in that one. And that random sing-along early on. "Daughter, daughter, lift your head, what color are you eyes?" *Claps* So great.
                      LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• I watched Grabbers on ChillerTV yesterday afternoon. It's okay, better than I thought it would be. I think Synapse released it on dvd?

Last night, I watched Luther the Geek & it's pretty good. Definitely glad I bought it for my first VS release. Sure hope VS releases The Children!
                        Keeth
                        Last edited by Keeth; 04-03-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Dude Bro Party Massacre 3. Pretty good. I don't typically like wink and nod "our movie is intentionally bad" throwback movies but I ended up liking this one. Has some good gore, it looks just like a straight to video 80's slasher, and it made me laugh.

Worth checking out.
                          Alex K.
                          Last edited by Alex K.; 04-08-2016, 11:46 AM.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• I finally watched the UK 2-disc of Ken Russell's The Devils last night

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                              You can practically smell the J&B seeping through the TV whenever he's on screen. His finest hour if you ask me although great as he and Fenech are I think Strindberg steals the show in that one. And that random sing-along early on. "Daughter, daughter, lift your head, what color are you eyes?" *Claps* So great.
                              I totally agree on everything. I've never been a Strindberg fan but she acts her butt off in this film. Very impressive. Pistilli is one of my favorite actors. Rock solid in everything he's in. A shame how he ended his days.

I watched Invasion USA when procrastinating before work today. Decent new Blu but not a super upgrade compared to the old dvd. Nice interesting commentary from Zito though. Gloriously stupid 80's mayhem. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                                I'm in the process of watching Gangs of Wasseypur (sp?). Third night tonight. Such an awesome film!

Also Nabonga, I agree about Your Vice being Martino's masterpiece.
                                It's so fucking good! More people need to see it. Post your thoughts in that thread once you get through it!
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X