No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-watching Punisher War Zone. I don't know why.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Now watching Spaceballs. Still holds up.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Pedicab Driver (1989) - Dir. Sammo Hung

Watching this with excellent English subtitles & in HD on blu ray. Not like that cheap MOD DVD-R that Warner Archives put out recently with the hard of hearing subs.

Comment

• Emanuelle And The Last Cannibals
          Popped in my AWE dvd of this to compare with 88 Films Blu-Ray. Yeah, I'm selling the 88 Films disc and keeping the AWE disc. It just looks better. That theme song must be one of the catchiest things ever, haha. "We make love on the wiiiiing!" Here's a bitching cover:

https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• 5 Dolls For An August Moon
            What a gloriously stylish mess. It really suffers from not having
            any cool murder set pieces a la Blood And Black Lace. People
            just turn up already dead. But putting that particular gripe aside
            this is groovy stuff. Nice music, cool sets and locations and stupid HOT (!)
            chicks. Especially Edwige, who was 21 here, and man... she was truly lethal.
            Fantastic woman. The film is oddly chaste in general when it comes to nudity.

Arrow's Blu-Ray looks great and there's an interesting Bava doc on there as well
            as a good commentary track from Tim Lucas.

Comment

• WAR PIGS. This is the worst Black Sabbath video ever, but pretty enjoyable false KELLY'S HEROES metal. Dolph is an ex-Naxi Foreign Legionnaire who drives a tank but is not a hippy and now I want to see him do all Donald Sutherland's roles. Mickey Rourke really makes you believe that a rough-sleeping express-hopping hobo would be a great officer if only he had a white cowboy hat. And Luke Goss gives admirable Clint.

This film had three historical advisers, all of whom seem to be Minnesota WWII re-enactors. Casey Sill is one of these guys. Jon Boorom, a Minnesota Nazi afficionado, made the news last year for Christmas hijinks with schnitzel and regalia. Luke Schuetzle ran the kickstarter for the project. ("71 backers pledged $9,904 to help bring this project to life.").

Swedish Joe recommended this.

Comment

• Caught a fan sub of THE PATH OF THE KING (1971) Dir. Masahiro Makino...another Ninkyo eiga featuring the big 2 of the genre in Takakura Ken and Koji Tsuruta. The same formulaic story line but I can't get enough of these flicks. Tomisaburo Wakayama has a nice supporting role in this as well.

Comment

• Saw Bloodsucking Freaks tonight. First time viewing this blank spot on the map of exploitation classics. I quite liked it. It's got the right amount of sleaze, violence and bleakness to make it more than a comedy. And the most interesting thing for me is, even though it's clearly made to entertain and make its audience laugh, it's still got strong undercurrents of misogyny and sadosexual obsessions that shine through.

Trivia: For Bloodsucking Freaks first VHS release here in Sweden in the 80's, it was titled Blodsugande gatan which translates to Bloodsucking Street. Someone must've misheard the title and slapped it on there without double checking.

Comment

• Samurai Cop 2-Deadly Vengeance
                    Uuuhm... wow. Wholly unnecessary sequel. Still I was entertained all
                    the way through. It's well shot but has crappy cgi, hokey acting and I've
                    never seen this many plastic surgery trainwrecks in one film before (and I
                    don't necessarily mean titties). Bai Ling shows up and overacts like mad.
                    I still can't see her in a film without hearing a grating "Get yo dick out! Get yo
                    dick out!" in my head. I bet she'd be a wild, fun and possibly dangerous time to be
                    around irl though.

I like Matt Hannon/Karedas/whatever his name is and would like to see him do
                    other stuff in the future, not related to Samurai Cop. He's got a unique look and
                    is very charismatic. He's in fantastic shape too. He'd fit right in, in the dtv-action
                    genre.

Comment

• My mind has been blown this week. Over the weekend I watched MULHOLLAND DRIVE (Thanks Tom Clark). I know this makes me an idiot, but I was expecting MULHOLLAND FALLS. I was prepared for Nick Nolte and Jenifer Connolly in a noir crime drama. I was not expecting to be mind raped. My wife watched the first ten minutes, but I had to watch on my own after the creepy bum popped around the corner. The next morning my wife ask "so what was that movie about". I froze. Her response was "you watched a two and half movie and have no idea what it was about. The crap you watch (eyeroll and giggles)." My mind has been chewing on the experience for days. Between the interviews on the disc and re-watching some scenes I've figured it out as much as I need to. It's freaking brilliant and I want to watch it again and again and again...

How cool is that cowboy? "you will see me one more time, if you do good. You will see me... two more times, if you do bad." I have no idea what that means, but its awesome.

I love the score and I'm floored that the same guy who scored the film is the creepy espresso guy.

The most surreal moment had to be seeing Billy Ray Cyrus. My head nearly exploded.

Last night I watched Isabelle Adjani in another mind screw. I love films that have drastic shifts in tone and fucked up endings. I also love nude Isabelle Adjani. ONE DEADLY SUMMER delivers both. She's so hot my teeth hurt. I especially enjoyed the scene where she's walking around nude in the barn and the music shifts to an ominous "shit is about to get weird". But honestly, I would have been okay if it was 2 hours of Adjani reading the newspaper and 10 seconds of her sucking her mommies titty.

Is Isabelle Adjani insane in real life? I worry about her. I don't know how someone could pull off her performances in ONE DEADLY SUMMER and POSSESSION and remain sane. Not only is she a goddess but an amazing actress.

I need binge watch Van Damme and Schwarzenegger flicks to cleanse my mind before I go nuts.

Comment

• Great post Jason! Was Mulholland Drive your first Lynch film?

Its been suggested that Adjani's gone a bit loopy in recent times, mainly due to plastic surgery. There's even a French comedian who's name escapes me at the moment that constantly portrays Adjani as a mental case. Whatever. She's earned it. One of the best actresses ever. Easily top 5.
                        LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• I love that the cowboy in Mulholland Drive wasn't an actor, and that the reason his performance is so screw is because he's reading his lines off of Theroux holding cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                            I love films that have drastic shifts in tone and fucked up endings.
                            You should see Celine and Julie Go Boating*.

There is very little boating in the film. :)

* I mention it because Lynch's film often draws favorable comparisons to Rivette's classic.

That is, if you're ready for another mind-raping.

Comment

• I will track down a copy of Celine and Julie Go Boating. Not sure if I'm ready Rivette but that sounds like a good place to start.

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                              Great post Jason! Was Mulholland Drive your first Lynch film?
                              Pretty much. I saw DUNE more than a decade ago and hated it. MacLachlan talking to himself in his head drove me so batty I turned it off well before the credits. I know enough about Twin Peaks to get a lot of pop culture references but don't remember much. I had heard David Lynch's films were surreal but was not prepared for Mulholland Dr. It didn't help that I wasn't paying attention and therefore expected Mulholland Falls.

It's too early to say this, but at some point I expect I will consider Mulholland Dr as "my favorite film" along with a few others. I suspect it gets more fun with each viewing. Even when my head stops spinning it will still be beautiful to look at and that soundtrack will never get old.

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                              I love that the cowboy in Mulholland Drive wasn't an actor, and that the reason his performance is so screw is because he's reading his lines off of Theroux holding cards.
                              That story is amazing. I hope it doesn't ruin future viewings. It was unnerving and WTF the first time. Now I'm afraid I'll be laughing as I picture Theroux with cards of dialogue attached to his face.
                              Jason C
                              Last edited by Jason C; 02-18-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                                I had heard David Lynch's films were surreal but was not prepared for Mulholland Dr.
                                Well, if Mulholland Drive had that profound of an effect on you then Inland Empire will make you forget your own name and address ^_^ Definitely make time for Lost Highway, often considered by many Lynch fanatics as the first in a sort of "Los Angeles trilogy" along with Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.
                                LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Working...
                                X