• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Streets
    PERFECT exploitation. Danny Steinmanns commentary track is amazing
    and hilarious. I wish Arrow would put out a Blu of this with a bunch of
    extras. The Dvd will have to do for now. "Go fuck an iceberg!"
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• 72 DESPERATE REBELS (1978) Dir. Lin Bing

Some funny shit. Siu Gam steals the show as the giant lama with the gold grill that can bite through steel like a knife through butter. An obvious rip of the Jaws character from the James Bond films.

Comment

• The Sucker
        French comedian Louis De Funes fools fellow french comedian Bourvil
        into driving a cadillac from Naples to France. What Bourvil's character doesn't
        know is that the car is full of stolen goods (gold, diamonds) and drugs. What he
        also doesn't know is that a whole bunch of gangsters are following in his trail.

Medium funny hijinx ensue in this french/italian co-production. It's pretty dated but a
        good enough time waster on a boring afternoon. There are some familiar euro cult faces
        popping up here and there, like Beba Loncar, Lando Buzzanca, Guy Delorme and Venantino
        Venantini. Also, the locations are all beautiful (Italy in the 60´s )

The comic highlight of the film is when De Funes wakes up an italian mechanic in
        the middle of the night, only to then fix the car himself to the tune of a little musical cue, while
        the confused mechanic and his son looks on in bewilderment. Very inspired scene.

Comment

• Caught a nice CATIII triple bill of BLOODY BEAST (1994) Dir. Tak Sing-tam, PITUITARY HUNTER (1990) Dir. Chan ta & BEAUTY INVESTIGATOR (1992) Dir. Lee Tso-nam. It beats watching football on Sunday.

Comment

• Finished up season 4 of Justified last night. Mmmm... head shotty!
            Stoked for the remaining seasons. Fantastic TV.

Comment

• BEVERLY HILLS COP. A fine Judge Reinhold movie.

Now watching the COP ROCK pilot.

Comment

• The Hunger - Decided to pop it in honor of the late David Bowie.
                King Dick - Pretty bad sex cartoon from the '70s.
                Silence of the Lambs - Never seen it before, now that's rectified. Good movie.

Comment

• Kujira Gami aka THE WHALE GOD (1962) Dir. Tokuzo Tanaka

Comment

• Track 29 (Nicolas Roeg, 1988) - Madness! One of the most batshit loopy films to ever feature big name actors. Gary Oldman and Theresa Russell are out of their ever loving minds in this with Oldman giving the most histrionically demented performance this side of a Zulawski film and Russell proving once again she had the "damaged" market cornered (and looking like the hottest of messes doing it. Love that woman.) Then there's Christopher Lloyd getting spanked by Sandra Bernhard and later giving a speech about trains that's so impassioned you'd think his lines were causing some sort of seismic shift in his personal cosmos. I love that I've not become so jaded that I can see a film like this and wonder "Just where the fuck did that come from?!" Why this film isn't held in the same high regard as Roeg's 70's films is beyond me. You want it weird? Look no futher.

Two Deaths (Nicolas Roeg, 1995) - Its not a dinner party unless you confess to enslaving your housekeeper which in turn inspires your friend to admit to paying a whore to piss on him. One of Roeg's more neglected films (although if we're being honest here most of his post-Eureka (1983) work is neglected in one way or another save for perhaps The Witches (1990)) but its also one of his most twisted and upsetting. Not necessarily in what it shows (the aborted fetus that makes a fairly jolting appearance later on not withstanding) but in its ideas and the main character being a contemptible sociopath. This would make an interesting double bill with Bad Timing (1980) given both films themes of obsessive love. The difference here being the obsessive "love" on display being far more one sided. Roeg also drawls a parallel between a political revolution happening outside of the main storyline with the personal revolutions of the characters slowly taking shape throughout the film which would have easily been flubbed in clumsier hands but Mystic Nic handles it beautifully. Hardly mass appeal but for those who prefer to traverse the darker side of the human condition this comes highly recommended.
                    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• Ganryujima (2003) - Dir. Seiji Chiba

Interesting take on the mythology of famed swordsman, Miyamoto Musashi & his famous duel with Kojira Sasaki. Rather than portraying him as the near mythical noble figure possessing supernatural sword fighting skills as is the norm, here instead he's a flawed human possessing the worst traits. It could have been a truly spectacular film but it's hampered by the lead whose truculent & brutish behavior comes off more comical than anything. Also, the duel itself with its surprise twist was farcical. What a shame of what it could've been.

Comment

• Watched American Sniper yesterday. Somewhat competently made, like most of Eastwood's directorial efforts, but never the less a steaming pile of propagandistic, flag waving bullshit, glorifying a mass murderer. 2/5.

Comment

• GET OUTTA HERE (2015) - Dir. Nick Leung Kwok-ban

This was not bad. I was expecting another in the long line of hopping Vampire comedies but this was more of a social satire.

Comment

• INCREDIBLE HULK (2008) The ED NORTON one..

Caught this on tv and have to say I enjoyed it a lot...until the 2-monsters-cgi-fight-ending....lots of nice little touches to the movie and Norton did ok as Banner...Tim Roth overacts the shit out of his part and I never realised he was so short!!!!...the ending was a shame as it looked like it was added on just to sell more toys (which it probably was)...but not sure how else they could have played it out.....

Comment

• Emanuelle And The Last Cannibals
                              Popped in the 88 Films Blu last night when I was bored. I had read some disappointing reviews of this new disc and I have to concur. The films needs no introduction, it's awesome and the best D'amato film imo. I can't escape the feeling though that my dvd of this looks better. Gonna pop that in tonight to compare. 88 Films release seems a little too dark and the jungle scenes were very straining on the eyes. Very soft looking transfer to be honest. It's a shame because the film itself rocks! Monica Zanchi was a total babe around this time.

Bobbie Jo And The Outlaw
                              Entertaining Mark Lester outlaws on the run flick. Well worth a look although the much touted nude scenes from Lynda Carter were very underwhelming. Poorly framed. If you have a legendary beauty such as her and she's willing to shed clothes... then dammit, you document that for posterity properly. Some good extras on the Kino Lorber disc. Cool interviews with the director and some of the ladies in the film. Very disappointing commentary track unfortunately. Mark Lester talks too little and Bill Olsen ruins things with weird tangents and ill timed remarks about various things. Lester almost seems annoyed with him at times. Good disc overall and entertaining 70's road movie with great performances from everyone involved.

Comment

• Plastic City (2008) - Dir. Yu Lik-wai

Talk about terribly miscast - Jo Odagiri had no business playing Kirin...Tadanabo Asano can pull it off but it was a stretch for Odagiri and that ridiculous CGI "300" type fight scene was cringeworthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X