What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Ass: Bad Asses On The Bayou
    Ok, now they're pushing it. Still as entertaining as geriatrics on a rampage concepts go, but I don't hink they can mine this concept much more. The end credits promises us a Bad Ass: Bad Asses In Bangkok. I guess I'll be at least curious about a fourth.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
      Bad Ass: Bad Asses On The Bayou
      Ok, now they're pushing it. Still as entertaining as geriatrics on a rampage concepts go, but I don't hink they can mine this concept much more. The end credits promises us a Bad Ass: Bad Asses In Bangkok. I guess I'll be at least curious about a fourth.
      LOL..never heard of part 3 being made...I enjoyed the other 2 .especially Danny Glover....I will check this one out asap.

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 3: VENGEANCE IS MINE(2015)

Or, as I prefer, I SPIT ON YOUR DEATH WISH as Jennifer from part one returns and starts going all Charles Bronson on rapists who escape the law. No graphic rapes this time...but a good bit of violence(especially her FIRST revenge is EXTREMELY graphic and hard to watch!)

I enjoyed it for what it was and preferred it more than the other two in the new series......and nice to see them not just rehashing the first movie forever...

Comment

• They're actually pretty cool movies. Glover and Trejo have nice chemistry.
        https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• So Glover is in the new one too?
          Even better!

Comment

• I love Bad Ass 1-3. I need to get them in some kind of DVD-box, as I have only rented them, and these films need to be on display in my Bookshelf.

As for watching: Finally got around to seeing the Stephen Hawking biopic The Theory of Everything, as I had a voucher for a free rental. Eddie Redmayne breaks all the rules and goes full retard and beyond, but even as impressive as that is, this just isn't much of a film. It is mildly interesting but full of to much emotional drama bullshittery, which just doesn't work. I would have been better off spending half an hour reading Hawkings Wikipedia page.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• McBain (1991) -

I've seen this one around 8 times, easily, and it never gets old. One of my favorite moronic, over-the-top action movies. Sits nicely alongside Cannon Films, Steven Seagal and The Miami Connection in my coveted bad action collection. I can't believe this came out in 1991 and starred Christopher Walken. The all-region Dutch blu ray looks fantastic. I can hear the audio unlike the garbage South Korean bootleg DVD I used to have. I love 'the Glick' (Exterminator, The Soldier, The Protector)!

Comment

• The Glick is a criminally underrated director! You should check out Shakedown/Blue Jean Cop. One of his best!
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• PSYCHO, 'tis the season. I've seen it many times before, but even now, it's just brilliant. So many influential sequences, editing devices, great dialogue, and Perkins is so perfect.

Hammer's Phantom of the Opera - I always Fast Fwd through a lot of the musical parts, there's a good 20 minute movie in there.

The Black Cat (1934) with Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Totally insane movie, which at 66 minutes has little chance of overstaying its welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                    The Glick is a criminally underrated director! You should check out Shakedown/Blue Jean Cop. One of his best!
                    Whoa, I haven't seen that! Going to go after it asap.

Comment

• The Quick and the Dead (Sam Raimi flick). I haven't seen this in years. Holds up as a fun western and better than I remember.

Comment

• Halloween viewing (in viewng order):

ENDGAME (D'Amato:non-horror entre)
                        NIGHTMARE CASTLE
                        ONE DARK NIGHT
                        PHANTASM II

Comment

• Saw BRIDGE OF SPIES last night and mostly really enjoyed it. Another fine performance from Tom Hanks and a good supporting cast. I've always been fascinated by the Francis Gary Powers story (there was a tv movie way back with Lee Majors playing him), and it was interesting to see this told more from the perspective of the Russian spy who we traded to get him back. It gets a little heavy handed with the symbolism near the end but for the most part this was very low key and well done.
                          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Cat and the Canary with Bob Hope. Found a dvd with a Svengoolie airing of this. More comedy than anything else but still fun.

Comment

• I also watched THE GIFT (2015) over the weekend. Liked this one a lot as well. This movie is one giant awkward situation after another (and I mean that as a compliment). Jason Bateman really plays against type here, without getting into spoilers, he plays a very different sort of character from his usual stuff. Not a horror film but there is one extremely disturbing scene for sure that involves a video. All three of the leads are excellent - Rebecca Hall as Bateman's wife and Joel Edgerton plays a thoroughly creepy and weird dude. All three of these characters have some serious issues and closets full of skeletons. Well worth checking out.
                              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Just watched the German Shaolin Master and the Kid BD, and what a great movie it is! I often find a like the Taiwanese martial arts films, for instance 7 Grandmasters or Born Invincible, better than the Shaw Brothers stuff (which is also great of course). While the budget generally feels a lot smaller, with less elaborate sets, costumes and wire stunts, they more than make up for it with being really fast-paced and action packed. This film is no exception. It's light on character development and story complexity, but there is a whole lot of awesome kung fu action, nice cinematography and enough, but not too much, wires and trampoline stunts to spice things up a bit. The film borrows some elements from Lone Wolf and Cub, with the titular character having to take a child along on his quest for revenge on the bad guy, and while it's far from as stylized as its Japanese inspiration, it's still a stylish film with some samurai film clichés thrown into the mix. For instance the familiar chanbara scene where two characters face off head on with their swords, and then stand in cool poses until one of them falls down dead, is in this film too. There's also a hilarious and badass scene involving an eagle which I don't want to spoil.

The source of the BD is a German theatrical print, and while the night time scenes are sometimes so dark that it's hard to make out what is actually happening, the transfer in general looks excellent. The well-lit daytime sequences exhibit nice detail. The elements from which this transfer is taken were not pristine by any means, but it looks pleasent, very organic and filmlike. The disc only has the German and English dubs, and it would of course be nice to get to see it in Mandarin, but for me that's not a deal-breaker by any means. It's kind of charming to see these old kung fu films the way they were shown in the west theatrically in the 70's.

Comment

Working...
                                X