What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I watched:

Minnesota Clay - very good spaghetti western about an aging gunfighter who ends up going blind and fighting the climactic shoot out purely by sound. Cameron Mitchell is good and leathery in the title role. Also nice poignant "unhappy" ending. 4.5/5.

A.W.O.L - Van Damme (aka Lionheart/Leon) - Sunday afternoon cheese-fest. 2.5/5.

Comment

• I get that I have different tastes but its obnoxious when I enjoy a film that gets universally panned as bad as HITMAN AGENT 47. The consensus is that its the dumbest movie ever made. I wouldn't call it high art nor do I believe it has something important to say, but dumb? How is it any dumber than all of the superhero crap that's pooped out of Hollywood these days? We finally get a decent video-game adaptation and its pissed on by the general public. Fuck all of the pajama-clad crime fighter fans that splatted this movie on Rotten Tomatoes. If lead had been wearing a child's onesie with a 47 on it perhaps the film would have grossed 150 million. Or maybe 47 needed a team of costumed man-babies circle jerk with. If only the film had a Dinosaur theme park that millions of mouthbreathers thought was a good idea to visit. Yep HITMAN is dumb.

Comment

• My recent compulsion to explore 60's Eurospy films ends with THE IPCRESS FILE. I'll go back to Sean Connery when the ich returns. I want to love this film but there isn't a thrilling set piece to cap what feels like a long film. There are numerous little conversations and interactions that I adored, but there were plenty of little frustrations and some tedium as well. I could never get a handle on why there were so many odd camera angles and camera placements. It's possible I'm not enough of a film buff to recognize what the director was trying to say, but to me it just felt like he was doing it to be cute. Ultimately, it exhausted me. I love the Harry Palmer character but there was too much focus on making his life as a spy feel mundane. I started to get just as bored and Harry. The entire cast is top-notch and I can understand why many film fans would enjoy IPCRESS. I'm probably just too conditioned by the over-the-top thrills of Bond films.

Nice review Paul, I used it to make my decision to pick the Network BD. As you claimed, it has an excellent presentation and worthwhile extras. I especially enjoy your technical breakdowns. Not sure why but I am fascinated by discussions of film stock and transfers.

Comment

• I bought a new 32 inch flat screen tv on a whim yesterday. My wallet screams "RAPE!"... but fuck it.

When I'd hooked it up I popped in Succubus just to see how a really old film, with some heavy grain even on dvd, would fair on a much bigger HD screen. The film sucked me in completely and I ended up watching the whole thing. Fuck it's a great film. Super well shot and bizarre atmosphere up the wazoo. Everything works beautifully in it and the music is fantastic. God tier Franco. Janine Reynaud was born to play this part.
          https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• THE SALVATION (2014) - A Danish western, set in the US but filmed in South Africa. I really dug this one, the story is nothing at all new - gang terrorizes landowners so they will sell off and leave, not knowing the land is oil rich. An immigrant takes on the gang after the murder of his wife and son. Mads Mikkelsen is suitably grim and terse as the vigilante, Jeffrey Dean Morgan damn near steals the show as the sociopathic leader of the gang, and Eva Green turns in an amazing performance (in a completely non-speaking role) as a victim of Indian mutilation. Done with plenty of style and very violent, this one takes all the standard western tropes, changing basically nothing, and turns out a gripping tale.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Anthropophagus (1980)

* out of ****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Comment

• Anthropophagous is great

Comment

• I think it's zzzzzzzz. It's painful to sit through. 'Beyond the Darkness' is much better and is my favourite Joe D'Amato horror film.
                  In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Comment

• Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)

*** out of ****

Comment

• Ravenous, 1999. 9/10

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die.

Comment

• Rockabilly Zombie weekend- 3 outta 5

PRetty decent film. And seems like they either got real rockabilly fans or faked it pretty good.

Creep Van-2 outta 5

Great premise,guy down on his luck finally gets a job. And needs a vehicle. Sees and van for sale,the titular Creep Van. And the owner of the van starts hunting him down. But the acting and FX work were the films downfall. The lead actor isn't bad. But everyone else was pretty bad.

Comment

• Darkman (1990)

*** out of ****

Comment

• Pod, 2015. 8/10

I played hooky from work and went to the theater. : )

I was going to see Sinister II but decided to go indie. I chose well. A brother and sister decide to do an intervention on their mentally ill brother living in Maine after a disturbing phone call. Martin says he has something locked in the basement, a government experiment.

This film was brilliant. Tense, music and sounds, lighting, shadows and flickering light bulbs and rooms lite only by the glow of a television set the mood for this horror/scifi movie. There are 3 players and it takes part in a house. 73 minutes or so, yeah just a perfect time to tell this story. Blood and snow and a beating that takes place by the glow of a Vincent Price movie playing on the TV. I thought all three players were excellent actors. I would love to watch this again.. The ending was typical but still it didn't take anything away from the film. Check it out if you can. : )
                            If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die.

Comment

• Hellraiser (1987)

**** out of ****

Comment

• Self/Less, 2015. 7/10

Neat scifi thriller. Ryan Reynolds is amazing as usual.

A dying billionaire business man has his 'soul' put into a younger man for 250.00 million dollars. Sounds awesome yeah? well morals and feelings come into play when he looks into some of the flashbacks he goes through and sees this younger mans life.

Comment

Working...
                                X