No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Funhouse (1981) - A creepy opening credits sequence, a fun time killer.

Dogtooth (2009) - A wee bit crazy Greek flick about sheltered kids and the iniquity of VHS copies of Rocky, Flashdance, and Jaws.

Comment

• Gone Girl: another interesting but flawed Fincher film. No spoilers but the movie is not exactly what you think it is if you've seen the trailer or read a synopsis. The tone is pretty inconsistent. It goes from drama/mystery to bits of light comedy. And the acting is good but the dialog is stiff. It's like a screenwriter who imagines how real people talk.

Interesting but another Fincher film that I couldn't recommend. I don't think he's made anything of note since Fight Club.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        Interesting but another Fincher film that I couldn't recommend. I don't think he's made anything of note since Fight Club.
        Not seen GONE GIRL but....Oh my God how much do I agree with you on this point!!!

Comment

• You are wrong. Gone Girl was a very nice film, which I enjoyed quite a bit. It was nothing spectacular plotwise, but the mood was outright nasty, and I mean that in the best way possible.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• I didn't think it was bad but it was missing something for sure. It was at least fairly unique if not entirely successful with it's premise.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• What's good or bad is entirely subjective.

On topic. Plowing through the X-Files currently. I was too scared to watch it when it originally aired here in Sweden so I'm catching up now instead. It's a great show. First season kinda blew but after the second season it really hit it's stride and season 3, 4 and 5 are stellar tv (I'm in the middle of season 5 at the moment)! I hope it doesn't start to suck from season 6 and onwards. I'm a big Robert Patrick fan so I have some hope it'll be at least decent when he comes in.
              https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• ZOMBEAVERS (2014)

Yep...Zombie Beavers!

Silly and fun horror comedy that is played straight...which improves its rating! It's enjoyable as a homage to 80's horror films...A BIG plus is that it uses PRACTICAL effets for the most part...CGI is kept to a minimum....
                If you are a fan of 1980's style horror movies then you will like it..Not as good as classics like RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (whichi t seems to take as a template)....but enjoyable to watch...expecially the last 30 mins or so....

Comment

• The Best Offer (2013)

Geoffrey Rush as an auctioneer and art expert that gets drawn into a mystery with an even more mysterious woman. Directed by Giuseppe Tornatore, with a Morricone score. Damned if I did not love it....

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                    What's good or bad is entirely subjective.

On topic. Plowing through the X-Files currently. I was too scared to watch it when it originally aired here in Sweden so I'm catching up now instead. It's a great show. First season kinda blew but after the second season it really hit it's stride and season 3, 4 and 5 are stellar tv (I'm in the middle of season 5 at the moment)! I hope it doesn't start to suck from season 6 and onwards. I'm a big Robert Patrick fan so I have some hope it'll be at least decent when he comes in.
                    I forget the specific season but it goes downline pretty fast the last couple years.
                    Patrick does as well as he can but it's a cluster F & another tv show that craps on it's own legacy.
                    https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The consensus seems to be, after some brief googling, that the suckage begins with season 7. I'm finishing up season 6 soon and I still love almost every episode. Worst episodes so far is 3 and The Field Where I Died. Just absolute bottom of the barrel stuff in those two. Other than that quality is remarkably consistent I must say. Duchovny and Anderson are perfectly cast and play extremely well off of each other.

Watched Safe yesterday. Another solid Statham effort. Carry that action movie torch Jason! You're it. All the classics are either too old (Sly & Arnold) or slumming in z-level productions (Seagal & Lundgren). I can't shake the feeling Statham ended up with the career Dolph Lundgren deserves. I do love me some Van Damme, but he keeps insisting on casting his useless kids in everything and hasn't blown me away since JCVD to be honest. Action cinema is in a sad state these days.

Comment

• Took a break in the X-files marathon to pop in Death Race 3 - Inferno

Poor mans Statham Luke Goss (who looks like an emaciated rat)
                        stars in this solid DTV-offering directed by bargain bin expert Roel Reine.
                        This was decently entertaining for 2 hours and it looks flipping gorgeous in
                        every frame. However, I've already forgotten it and I more or less just finished
                        watching it. Good disengage your brain, sip some beers and munch on some snacks
                        ho-hum.

It seems they're making a fourth one so these things obviously make
                        money.

Comment

• Airheads (1994) - You can't pluralize the Long Ranger? That's news to me.
                          Stand By Me (1986) - A dead body, a loaded gun, and cigarettes, the stuff childhoods are made of.
                          Rounders (1998) - What happened to Worm?

Comment

• Blue Ruin A rare one of those super-Indie low budget movies that actually delivers on its hype. Solid little film.

Comment

• Two Moon Junction. Sherilyn Fenn plays a rich bitch with incredibly 80s hair who is due to marry a preppy batchelor. She becomes obsessed by a circus boy who lives an alcohol fuelled life that is wild, free and largely shirtless. Despite him being a bit "rape-y" she starts following him around while the preppy batchelor is out of town. He treats her like shit and by god does she love him for it. But does she love him enough to dump preppy fiancee and all the wealth and luxury that entails?

This Zalman King crapfest is aging like a fine wine. The 80s were wierd man... Just in the first few minutes you have Fenn's two prepubescent sisters giving her erotic lingerie as a present which no one thinks is strange. And then one of the young kids does a slow motion hair tosss straight out of a penthouse shoot and you realise "holy shit only Milla Jovovich can hair toss like that" and sure enough it is. Then Fenn starts playing with herself in the shower and you settle back in your seat, comfortable in the knowledge that you're in the hands of a master.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Cracking Up (1977) - Nothing but negative reviews of this one. I thought it was funny, but then again, I'm a fan of wordplay and this one had that and some nudity thrown in. I consider this flick golden.

Comment

Working...
                                X