What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home for the Holidays

Made for TV early 70s proto-slasher. I figured out who the killer was fairly quick. But the cast was decent.

Comment

• Just finished the last season of Bored To Death. Man what a brilliant show this was. Just perfect. Great guest stars, the sweetest bromance threesome ever, gorgeous women everywhere and exciting fun mini-capers aplenty. Jason Schwartzman is insanely likeable for some reason. Galifaliakanakamakis (or whatever his name is) usually grates on me but here he is used in just the right amount and Ted Danson seems to have the time of his life. The rampant drug use and alcohol consumption gets a little ridiculous but let's go with it (I bet in real life they'd be in serious rehab all of them). Great show. 8 episodes a season is perfect and even though they cancelled it I don't think I would've wanted to see this drag on for 8 or 9 seasons like some shows they whore the fuck out for an eternity.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• THE DEPRAVED - This Belgian film covers territory I usually find interesting - some young tourists hire an unofficial local guide to take them exploring in the unused underground tunnels beneath Berlin. After the guide takes a nasty fall they run into a former German border guard who seems to rather unhealthily miss the good old days of East/West Berlin...this benefits quite a bit from being shot in the actual tunnels, very eerie and dangerous place. The film is not rated and while it takes a bit to show up, when the gore comes it's some pretty nasty stuff. Quite bleak and mean-spirited. If you like films such as CREEP this is worth checking out.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
          Just finished the last season of Bored To Death. Man what a brilliant show this was. Just perfect. Great guest stars, the sweetest bromance threesome ever, gorgeous women everywhere and exciting fun mini-capers aplenty. Jason Schwartzman is insanely likeable for some reason. Galifaliakanakamakis (or whatever his name is) usually grates on me but here he is used in just the right amount and Ted Danson seems to have the time of his life. The rampant drug use and alcohol consumption gets a little ridiculous but let's go with it (I bet in real life they'd be in serious rehab all of them). Great show. 8 episodes a season is perfect and even though they cancelled it I don't think I would've wanted to see this drag on for 8 or 9 seasons like some shows they whore the fuck out for an eternity.
          I agree fully. I loved this series to death and felt so empty when it ended. The humour was so perfectly spot on, at least for my personal tastes, that I highly doubt any other series will ever replicate it.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Gí¶tt mos helt enkelt! Early Scrubs and That 70' Show were pretty damn flawless though. Imo.

About to watch Dario Argento's Dracula. I don't exactly have high hopes but here we go...

Comment

• FATAL - Dir. Lee Don-Ku (2012)

One of the more impressive debuts in recent memory & that's not hyperbole either. I put it right up there with Yang Ik-jun's BREATHLESS in terms making an impact on me. This film was shot with an even more limited budget than BREATHLESS (read the director worked as a street vendor to come up with the three grand needed to finance it) & the actors were also less experienced but overall,the story and acting performances were uniformly excellent considering this is basically a student film turned into a feature. Lee Don-ku is one to keep an eye on and I'm curious to see what he will churn out in the future.

Comment

• Greaser's Palace - Like a funnier El Topo.
                Jeremiah Johnson - A good old-fashioned scalpin' time.
                Skinwalkers - Chris Eyre's PBS Mystery adaptation of Tony Hillerman's work, I digs it.
                Alcatraz Is Not An Island - Doc about the 1969 Occupation of Alcatraz by the Indians of All Tribes. Great subject and topic that I wish they interviewed more activists for and excluded academics who weren't there.
                Chicago 10 - Damn dirty Yippie vagrants!
                The Abominable Dr. Phibes - Ah, the good ol' days when Old Testament plague murders were the groovy thing to do.

Comment

• Singing In The Rain.
                  I love this film. Whenever I feel glum or down I give this a look and all is well in the world again. Now, I can't sing or dance for shit, yet there I sit humming along fighting an irresistible urge to get up and tap dance the everloving shit out of everything in sight. Shit's great yo! Du-du-du-du... Du-du-du-du-du-du... Du-du...

Comment

• Caught a double bill earlier today...first up was William Chang Kee's 1984 kung fu flick, NINJA VS SHAOLIN GUARDS aka GUARDS OF SHAOLIN...not bat shit crazy & OTT like Alexander Lo Rei's more famous NINJA:THE FINAL DUEL but still fairly entertaining with some great fight choreo (mercifully free from undercranking for the most part) and Lo Rei is his typical bad ass self.

The second feature was actress Bang Eun-jin's 2005 directorial debut, PRINCESS AURORA starring pop icon cum actress, Uhm Jung-hwa in the lead role as a grieved mother who goes on a murderous rampage. If you want to know the reason why & how she dispatches each of her victims, here's a blog that gives a rundown and body count spoiler. It's no SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE (also released the same year) but still quite entertaining.

Comment

• I'm pretty much burnt out on superhero movies these days but being a huge fan of Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America, I had to go see CAPTAIN AMERICA THE WINTER SOLDIER...I think this is probably my favorite superhero film of the last 15 or 20 years. The fact that it's just as much (if not more so) a conspiracy/espionage thriller as it is superhero story probably has a lot to do with that. Lots of little details for Cap fans too, some threads that have me really interested in where they'll go next with this. Don't want to get too detailed yet but I'll just say this was the rare 2 hour plus comic book film that didn't have me restless after 2/3 of it.

Two unrelated observations - 1. seeing a new trailer for GODZILLA on the big screen has me very fucking excited about this. Damn, this looks impressive! 2. I predict GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY will not do very well. Judging by the very poor reaction the trailer got, I think the non-comic geek segment of the movie-going public will mostly pass on this. I'm not too interested myself, it looks very goofy.
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Breakfast At Tiffany's
                        One of my all time favorite films. This movie would be perfect had it not been for the racist caricature Mr. Yunioshi. There really was no actual reason for him to be Asian. Mickey did a good job with what he was told to do (the scenes ARE funny, but you know... yellow face). He could've just as easily been called Mr. Walters or Mr. Knudsen or Mr. whatever generic. It really sticks out like a sore thumb. If the character necessarily had to be Asian, why not cast an Asian actor in the part? At the same time you have to put in perspective considering the time it was made. It was a different world. Still extremely poor judgement on the filmmakers part. Great film otherwise.

The House On The Edge Of The Park
                        Hot diggity! I'd forgotten how downright nasty this flick is. I love it! Hess careens right of the tracks here, flies over the mountain and shoots straight for the moon. He mugs wildly before the camera, almost like a demented clown, and it would be a horrible performance if he didn't have that inherent creepyness about him. It's high camp acting that just about works, but Deodato could've told him to dial it down just a bit, considering how pitch perfect almost everybody else is in the ensemble. Especially John Morghen. The pace is great, the sleaze is ramped up to eleven (the scene with the very underage looking girl is still hard to watch) and the music is awesome. Ruggero Deodato is a genius. A completely English friendly Blu-Ray is a must!

Comment

• THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK (Mike Newell, 1976). Louis Jourdan, Patrick McGoohan, Richard Chamberlain X 2, Ralph Richardson, Ian Holm and Jenny Agutter. Requisite swords, muskets, cut velvet, brocade, gilt, lace and perruques. Stripped down to tv-movie scale (just D'Artagnan, no other musketeers), it's a great simple machine, with a psychological horror motif (the disintegration of self) that gives the ending a nice kick. McGoohan and Jourdan do cross swords at one point, but there's more fun in a coming-of-age training montage with Chamberlain and Jourdan leaping around. Looks nice on the Hens Tooth blu-ray. I dug it.

Comment

• Had a trashathon last night with some red wine and easter candy.

Bloody Pit Of Horror
                            Another movie in desperate need of a good blu-ray. Mickey Hargitay (over)acts his tight little ass off in this one. For such a short film it feels very slow until Mickey flips his shit. From then on it becomes fantastic fun all around. If I ever attend a halloween masquerade I'm totes going as the crimson executioner. Should probably get swole first though. Il Boia Scarlatto is pure cheesy and awesome pulpy goodness.

Firecracker
                            Bad ass karate chick (though in some places, there's some dude-in-a-ratty-wig-doubling going on) kicks scumbag hiney in the Philippines. A rollicking good time. Stylish, violent and perfectly paced. Who can forget the saw mill fight for instance. Shameless exploitation but in an empowering way. Kind of. I'm not complaining. The cutting off each others clothes love scene is genuinely sexy. This one's a keeper. Too bad it's not completely uncut apparently.

The Cover Girl Models
                            Fun, light, breezy exploitation about models lounging around in Hong Kong and Singapore. All the girls are game but the adorable Pat Anderson steals the film just like she did in the equally awesome "Fly Me". This one is very short. I wonder if there were any cuts made? Great stuff regardless.

Comment

• As always on good friday I watch The Long Good Friday

Comment

• The Councellor Pretentious wank. Cormac McCarthy is a very overrated writer. Cameron Diaz is a horrendously bad actress. Ridley Scott should have been the one to commit suicide, not his brother Tony.

Comment

Working...
                                X