What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    I believe you are quite correct in this. Sadly RR seems destined to be the guy who never really amounted to anything other then dissapointments of various magnitude.
    PLANET TERROR was kind of awesome... and SIN CITY. Those were more collaborative projects, though.

Comment

• KILLER JOE. I liked the HORROR HOTEL cameo.

Comment

• HELLO, MY DOLLY GIRLFRIEND - Dir. Takashi Ishii (2013)

Imagine Koreeda's AIRDOLL reworked into a pinku eiga that's heavy on the exploitation -- yes, this was quite enjoyable & highly entertaining! :up:

Last edited by 47lab; 03-28-2014, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• THE MURDERER LIVES AT 21 / L'ASSASSIN HABITE AU 21 (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1942). Madcap serial murder mystery, light & dark & sardonic & saucy. Peignoirs & blackheads in the shadow of the nazis. The Masters of Cinema disc looks very fine. Thanks for the hot deal lowdown, Paul L.

Comment

• THE COMPANY OF STRANGERS (Cynthia Scott, 1990). When their bus breaks down a bunch of little old ladies rough it in the bush at an abandoned farmhouse. Decent Canuxploitation survival/slasher premise totally ruined by literate storyline, deep humanism, fine performances from a cast of improvising non-actors, and mad NFB documentary skills that capture the real. I loved it, but it's pretty core Canadian: I bet the pitch did not at any point include the words "A Mohawk, a nun, and a lesbian..."

I watched the crappy side-bleeding non-anamorphic transfer on the Yank-titled First Run Features "STRANGERS IN GOOD COMPANY" disc. I don't think it's had a decent home video release, but the NFB now has it available for viewing on their site, streaming up to 1080p (unrestored, but looks much better than the US DVD). Canadians can buy what looks to be a non-FirstRun DVD, and some regions can apparently buy a download.

NFB: https://www.nfb.ca/film/company_of_strangers/
            IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102993/
            Barry M
            Super Fiend
            Last edited by Barry M; 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• THE POM POM GIRLS blu-ray. Nicer'n ever. AMERICAN GRAFFITI but current & contemporary, none of that nostalgia crap. Leave that stuff to Richard Linklater.

Comment

• Dany - La Ravageuse on Dvd.
                I wish this was on Blu instead but this'll do. Nice print on this bonkers little gem. It's mostly played for laughs but there's some nasty stuff in here as well. Rape, sadism, murder, etc... Sandra Julien is super gorgeous as always. Also it was nice to see her perform some comedy. I'd only seen her in Rollin's Shiver Of The Vampires before. Very entertaining and fast paced (79 minutes) with lots and lots of delicious nudity. A+

Sleeping Beauty (The Emily Browning call girl one)
                For some reason this one is crazy expensive to buy everywhere so I had to aquire it... another way. Stylish but very boring and ultimately a misfire. I like Emily Browning and she does what she can with what she's given, but there's no real point to the proceedings and you fail to care about the main character. They could've shaved off 20 minutes easily. As it stands it's more sleeping audience than sleeping beauty.
                Nabonga
                Last edited by Nabonga; 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM.
                https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• LOVE SONG FOR RAPPER - Dir. Sho Fujiwara (2003)

A bizarre low budget flick shot on DV and centering around two misfit brothers from a very dysfunctional family -- one obsessed with baseball and the other a failed mangaka. Reminded me a bit of Harmony Korine's early works. I would categorize it as social satire or black comedy but it's literally beyond description. This is some crazy whacked out shit.

Comment

• THE BLUE LAMP (1950) - Decided to revisit this one after several years...it not only holds up but actually manages to impress me even more. It strikes me that Basil Dearden is vastly underrated these days, if not outright forgotten. He had a terrific knack for making socially conscious, riveting films, many being crime stories. This one's about the hunt for a cop killer in London. Tense and incredibly moving at times with lots of location work. Nice early role for Dirk Bogarde as well. Everytime I watch a Dearden film I come away more and more of a fan.
                    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• The Dark Backward - Amazing!
                      Match Point - Excellent!
                      Dance Me Outside - Phenomenal!

I forgot what other stuff I watched.

Comment

• The Charles Bukowski Tapes
                        I've always loved Bukowski and collect his writing (both poetry and novels). Here this beautiful old mind sits before the camera and smokes and drinks while spewing wisdom. This is a man kicked in the balls by life. The piece of the puzzle that just would not fit. He says some profound stuff in places and is quite funny the whole time. I love the little tours around his old stomping grounds we're treated to and the story about how a guy fell past his window one day, and his drinking buddy thought he was full of shit, is freaking hilarious.

The Most Dangerous Game
                        Wow, this was pretty dark for such an old film. I enjoyed this very much. I've seen various newer interpretations of the story (Hard Target, Surviving The Game) before but never this old gem. The guy who plays Count Zaroff chews scenery gloriously throughout and Joel Mcrea is a decent hero to Fay Wrays heroine. Strange that it's only one hour long however but packs quite a nice punch in that time.

Whirlpool
                        Another good turn from Gene Tierney. This one stretches credibility somewhat (I've always considered hypnosis a bunch of hooey) but it's a nice little yarn if you just go with it. It was weird because the whole film I kept imagining Miguel Ferrer (currently binge watching Crossing Jordan) in his dads role (they look so much alike). Great performances all around and pretty suspenseful.

Lady In The Lake
                        Very cool and well done with the subjective camera schtick! Loved the snappy writing and the awesome Audrey Totter (I think I just fell in love) did a great job interacting with just a camera for almost all of her scenes. Maybe I'm stupid or just tired but the plot was a bit confusing in spots (still don't know what the killers motive was). Still, I had a great time watching this. Also, Lila Leeds... WOW! Talk about a swell dame.

The Big Heat
                        I've been checking out a lot of old Noir's lately and this is probably my favorite so far. Completely engaging all the way through and a tough cookie of a movie. There's some really dark stuff here and Lee Marvin excels as an unstable henchman. A real mean and imposing dude ready to snap in a second. At anyone. The real star here though is Gloria Grahame who completely steals the movie and runs away with it. Perfect acting from everyone involved and despite being 61 years old it feels very contemporary and modern except maybe the house wife stuff. Great movie!
                        Nabonga
                        Last edited by Nabonga; 04-06-2014, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Caught a double bill earlier today...first up was Sonoda Kenji's 2002 film, MADNESS IN BLOOM which follows a trio of neo-fascists who patrol Shibuya to cleanse it of its "unpure" elements. They claim the banner of "the new generation" and their ideology is a melange of third position fascism intertwined with traditional Japanese right wing ideology. They reminded me of a hip hop version of Mishima's Shield Society with obvious homages to Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE & traditional ninkyo Yakuza flicks. This was also former MMA star, Genki Sudo's debut acting role. Quite a memorable debut too as he is stark naked drunk in an elevator in front of a surprised crowd of onlookers in a flashback scene. As you can see from this YT clip, he's also boning some chinpira chick while listening to headphones.

The other one was the 2013 documentary, CUTIE AND THE BOXER by Zachary Heinzerling which follows Japanese expatriate artist, Ushio Shimohara and his wife as they canvas the NY art scene from the 60s to the present. Quite interesting and poignant. Think I'll eventually pick up the blu ray as it is well worth multiple viewings.

Comment

• Some Girls Do
                            A lesser Bond-knock off/spoof starring Richard Jonson (he looks eerily like Connery in some scenes, if you squint). Plotwise it's some bunkum about supersonic planes and sabotage/death by soundwaves or something like that. It's a short movie but it barely held my attention at times. Had to split it into two sittings to be honest. Sydne Rome is downright adorable though. Apparently Johnson was offered Bond at one point and while I do like him I don't think it would've worked as well as it did with the other guys/guy. Decent on a rainy day if you have nothing better to do. I would like to see the first film in the series even though I'm more of a Flint, or even Matt Helm, guy.
                            Nabonga
                            Last edited by Nabonga; 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                              Some Girls Do
                              A lesser Bond-knock off/spoof starring Richard Jonson (he looks earily like Connery in some scenes, if you squint). Plotwise it's some bunkum about supersonic planes and sabotage/death by soundwaves or something like that. It's a short movie but it barely held my attention at times. Had to split it into two sittings to be honest. Sydne Rome is downright adorable though. Apparently Johnson was offered Bond at one point and while I do like him I don't think it would've worked as well as it did with the other guys/guy. Decent on a rainy day if you have nothing better to do. I would like to see the first film in the series even though I'm more of a Flint, or even Matt Helm, guy.
                              The first film, DEADLIER THAN THE MALE is quite good and realistically the better of the two...but SOME GIRLS DO has one thing that film doesn't -- Beba Loncar! Never underestimate the power of Beba...
                              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I'll have to seek it out then. 60's spy capers are good breezy fun for the most part. Beba didn't do much for me personally. Edwige is more my jam (I swear I'll get a tattoo of her some day).

Green Mansions
                                Jeez... talk about a slog to get through. I'm a fan of Audrey but this was horribly boring I'm afraid. Henry Silva lends some decent menace but ultimately this is a misfire. Also, Audreys hair stylist gave her a very unflattering hair cut here. Directed by her then hubby Mel Ferrer.

Comment

Working...
                                X