What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Christian Bates-Hardy View Post
    Star Troopers aka The Baron Against the Demons (El barí³n contra los Demonios) (2006) - Directed by Ricardo Ribelles

Everyone who is a fan of Metal Hurlant, Alejandro Jodorowsky, GWAR and crazy-ass European science fiction needs to watch this.
    I will do that. Speaking of Metal Hurlant, the recent TV-series Metal Hurlant Chronicles was fucking horrible. I do not recommend it to anyone, unless you have a fetisch for poor greenscreen work and bad dubbing.

And to keep on track I saw "Bad Country" a DTV (?) Movie with Matt Dillon and Willem Dafoe as criminal and cop in Louisiana in the 80s. Everyone had a mustasche in it, and I liked the story (if a bit cliché) but the execution was to poor. To much bad Southern accents and really poorly made action sequences and a generally cheap look and feel. Could have been a really solid DTV effort if made by a pro.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
      I will do that. Speaking of Metal Hurlant, the recent TV-series Metal Hurlant Chronicles was fucking horrible. I do not recommend it to anyone, unless you have a fetisch for poor greenscreen work and bad dubbing.
      Hmm. On second thought maybe you won't like it. It is very rough around the edges and has all the hallmarks of a low-budget passion project. Although it isn't dubbed (at least not in the version I watched).

Here's a trailer that just barely scratches the surface of this weird piece of Spanish Sci-fi WTF:
      It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

• FOUR RIDERS aka Hell Fighters of the East - Dir. Chang Cheh (1972)

Forget about the ridiculous allusion to the biblical prophecy of the "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" that Chen Kuan Tai spouts while recovering in a military hospital post Korean War, ignore the numerous anachronisms that surface in terms of the cultural timeline and the out of place fashions (I sincerely doubt bell bottoms & hot pants were all the rage in mid-50s Korea) & forget about the plot holes in the story. Instead, just be amazed at the sheer carnage that ensues during the final half hour as SBs stalwarts (representing the 4 horsemen) Ti Lung, David Chiang, Wang Chung and the aforementioned Chen Kuan Tai kick major ass all over the place. The final fight scene takes place in a gymnastics training center & various pieces of gym equipment is employed in the fight choreography to maximum effect including a trampoline and still rings. Japanese action star, Yusuaki Kurata is also a welcome addition playing the leading "heavy." Not too mention the Celestial/IVL print that I viewed is absolutely pristine and the picture quality top notch! :up:

Comment

• JOBS (2013) The Steve Jobs biopic starring Ashton Kutcher. Yeah. No. Just doesn't cut it. The casting is a bit off (Kutcher sucks), and everything is presented in a nudge nudge wink wink way, like names of characters being repeated so that noone can miss who they are etc, as their real life counterparts are the shiznit as far as nerds are concerned. Steve Jobs is depicted as being a total douche/weirdo, which I am sure he is. But whom am i as a Viewer supposed to identify with? Also, any film that goes into a montage within 10 minutes running time is just not that good.

Not awful either. Just not cutting it.
          The Silly Swede
          Last edited by The Silly Swede; 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Watching Zombie Aftermath (aka The Aftermath) a very low budget apocalyptic film that is a bizarre mix of zombies, a rampaging gang of rapists led by Sid Haig and family drama. Surprisingly violent in places..

Comment

• The UK VHS cover for the film is a little misleading to say the least...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140317_203845.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	345455

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard C View Post
                The UK VHS cover for the film is a little misleading to say the least...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9791[/ATTACH]
                Cor blimey, I remember that one!
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• THE DAREDEVILS aka DAREDEVILS OF KUNG FU aka SHAOLIN DAREDEVILS aka MAGNIFICENT ACROBATS - Dir. Chang Cheh (1979)

No surprise here but yet another winner from Chang Cheh featuring the venoms. One of the rare ones where all the venoms are all good guys and on the same side. Worth it just to see the training and street acrobatic scenes. Never tire of watching Philip Kwok, Chiang Sheng & Lu Feng do their thing. yes, Lo Meng is the first venom to meet his demise...yet again. The coolest scene for me though didn't feature any of the venoms but instead it was lead villain, Wang Li showing off his prowess with a Chinese version of the jitte. His opponent was a guy dressed up like the Michelin man with his blubber suit filled with colored dye which explodes into a fiery mist upon being pierced by Wang Li's weapon. Pretty damn cool! :up:

Comment

• NOWHERE TO TURN - Dir. Lee Seung-young (2008)

A so-so indie flick from Korea chronicling the travails of a quirky slacker whose dreams of moving to England and becoming a famous musician are hindered at every turn. A couple of secondary story lines involving her platonic relationship with another slacker musician and a more established indie musician are amusing but ultimately fruitless. I think I would've enjoyed this movie more if the lead actress was more sympathetic (read: likeable)...she's just so damn clueless and annoying that it's frustrating because this role would've been perfect for someone like Bae Doo Na.

Comment

• VIY. Greatest thing I've seen in years.

Comment

• GOOD BURGER. Pretty excellent cheese, actually.

Comment

• MACHETE KILLS. Crap. Not at all as fun as the first one, and quite cheap and tacky looking :(

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                            MACHETE KILLS. Crap. Not at all as fun as the first one, and quite cheap and tacky looking :(
                            I haven't seen this yet, but I remember that when I saw Robert Rodriquez's ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO, it struck me that he is sometimes similar to Ed Wood Jr when in auteur mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul h. View Post
                              I haven't seen this yet, but I remember that when I saw Robert Rodriquez's ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO, it struck me that he is sometimes similar to Ed Wood Jr when in auteur mode.
                              I believe you are quite correct in this. Sadly RR seems destined to be the guy who never really amounted to anything other then dissapointments of various magnitude.

Comment

• In the middle of Season 1 of HOUSE OF CARDS (US). Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are both excellent in their roles, and it's better than I thought it would be so far, but I'm a little tired of every show having a major theme of marital infidelity. Here's looking at MAD MEN, and CALIFORNICATION. Well I guess it's not every show. I suppose it has to do with manipulative characters angling for control of people and situations, and more sex for better ratings.

Comment

Working...
                                X