Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you watching?

LEGEND OF DINOSAURS AND MONSTER BIRDS

A movie that inspired Aliens, Jaws, Piranhas and Godzillas.

The letter s at the end of a noun sometimes indicates the plural. But not alway.

Comment

• Rented "White House Down" tonight. Ugh. I expected it to be shitty, but this was outright the dumbest film I have seen in years, and I saw "Olympus has fallen". Jamie Foxx is horrible, just horrible. What a waste. 1 out of 5 toasters!
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
        Rented "White House Down" tonight. Ugh. I expected it to be shitty, but this was outright the dumbest film I have seen in years, and I saw "Olympus has fallen". Jamie Foxx is horrible, just horrible. What a waste. 1 out of 5 toasters!
        LOL...Maybe should be 1 BROKEN toaster out of 5 toasters!

Comment

• YEAR OF THE GUN (John Frankenheimer, 1991). Italy, 1978: Andrew McCarthy and John Pankow are our guides to the heady political subtleties of the time, going mano a mano with the Red Brigades. Spoilers: Aldo Moro gets kidnapped, Sharon Stone is blonde, and there're a lot of cats in Italy, and at least one nun. Much of the movie is in Italian without subtitles for authenticity. Bonus Star Wars poster cameo. The DVD's full-frame & crap, but it doesn't really dimish the half-in-the-bag occasional charms of the film. Hard to recommend, but it was something. Nowhere to go from here but up, Mr. Frankenheimer.

Comment

• THE NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS - Dir. Chang Cheh/ Wu Ma (1976)

Another SB vehicle highlighting young star, Alexander Fu Sheng. I actually enjoy this one more than his more notable roles in DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN & CHINATOWN KID. His display of Choy Li Fut style kung fu is impressive & the fight choreo is top notch especially the finale against Wang Lung-wei, who wears a spiked iron fist reminiscent of the "Gods of Death" from LW&C. Other notable cameos include Philip Kwok of Venoms Mob fame & Leung Kar Yan aka Beardy. The ending is a bit of forced tearjerker with the flashback montage sequence & the redemption of Fu Sheng's character in the eyes of his hostile neighbors but it doesn't distract from the overall tone of the film. A great flick for casual fans & kung fu film aficionados alike. :up:

Comment

• I'm really surprised no one (on any the boards I visit) has mentioned SWEETWATER. I saw the trailer on the BD of another film I've been surprised to see no buzz about, BOUNTY KILLER. BOUNTY KILLER was a bit of a letdown because the lead female just couldn't carry the role, SWEETWATER is terrific. It's a female revenge tale with some excellent performances and some nice exploitation elements. Ed Harris and Jason Isaacs are amazing but the rest of the cast does well along with the lead, January Jones, who handles her character perfectly. IMO, the film does everything well and is a real treat that I can see revisiting.

Jason C
              Last edited by Jason C; 02-03-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Saw LONE SURVIVOR last night, it didn't quite pack the emotional wallop I was expecting but was quietly moving. Good cast (including another impressive character turn from Ben Foster). Very bloody and intense at times. I know this generated some controversy in some circles for supposedly glorifying war and whatnot but I really didn't come away with that impression. It does justly honor the men who died in this based-on-fact story though.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• vicious lips (1986)

I wanna punch albert pyun in his face for this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                    vicious lips (1986)

I wanna punch albert pyun in his face for this one.
                    In his career he has made about 10 films that make me wanna hug him, 10 that does nothing, and 30 that makes me wanna punch him in the face or kick him in the balls. And I am his greatest fan!

Comment

• okay, now I'm dying to know: what are the good ones?

only saw three pyun flicks so far:

cyborg - yeah!
                      captain america - wtf is this sh*t? the "car sickness" trick is the most retarded move in an action movie ever.
                      vicious lips - punchy punchy, punch punch!

Comment

• The good ones are: Nemesis. Cyborg. Down Twisted. Mean Guns. The Sword and the Sorcerer. Hong Kong 9. Brainsmasher a Love Story. And possibly Spitfire and Blast, but you have to be a serious masochist like me to enjoy those.

And to keep on topic:
                        I am half way through "Force of Execution" with Seagal, Danny Trejo and Ving Rhames. It took a whopping 51 seconds (no joke) for the character played by Seagal to explain that he was once a CIA operative. So that makes it about 40 out of 45 films he has made in which he is Ex-Agency. Very creative with the characters he plays, good old Steven.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                          Brainsmasher a Love Story.
                          Always thought that was a fantastic title.
                          Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
                            Always thought that was a fantastic title.
                            It is, and a fantastic film as well!

Comment

• Don't know anything about it!
                              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Rabid - A wonderful Cronenberg classic. Marilyn Chambers is a goddess immortalized thanks to celluloid. Big fan of the stock horror movie music used too.
                                Johnny Stickman
                                Way Out Hep Cat
                                Last edited by Johnny Stickman; 02-06-2014, 06:09 AM. Reason: Cottage cheese held me hostage.

Comment

Working...
                                X