No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-watching The Final Terror. Criminally underrated slasher film in my book.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• ENTRAPMENT on the telly whilst I work. I don't know whether it's Cath Zeta-Jones in that leather catsuit (probably is, tbh) but whenever this is on television I end up watching it. It's got a lovely score, admittedly.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
        ENTRAPMENT on the telly whilst I work. I don't know whether it's Cath Zeta-Jones in that leather catsuit (probably is, tbh) but whenever this is on television I end up watching it. It's got a lovely score, admittedly.
        Both hands on the keyboard!
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
          Both hands on the keyboard!
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• I polished off Turkey Day with a viewing of Fritz Lang's THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW last night. The ending of this one used to annoy me some but over time I've come to forgive that, and perversely enough, actually like and approve of the end now. There are days when I would probably rate this a tad higher than SCARLET STREET. There are some beautiful shots in this film, and the holy trinity of Robinson, Bennett, and Duryea are simply unbeatable in the noir stakes. I've said it before and it bears repeating: I wish they had made a few more films with Lang, say a dozen or so. That ending weirdly reminds me of THE WIZARD OF OZ.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• THE MAN CALLED TIGER - Dir. Lo Wei (1973- Golden Harvest)

I had mixed feelings watching this one because I'm a big JWY fan but this shit was terrible! The screenplay was a mess & JYW's wooden fight scenes were a joke. Ok, he was never the most polished in terms of fight choreo & even his famous roles where he has one arm, still can't hide his deficiencies in this regard but he was the MAN before Bruce came on the scene. Makes me wonder how Bruce would've done in this role as originally planned before his fallout with Lo Wei?

Comment

• TRUE LEGEND - Dir. Yuen Woo Ping (2010)

I re-watched this again after a couple years. I didn't like it upon my first viewing and my opinion hasn't changed upon revisiting it. The screenwriter, Christine To should of stuck to a bio pic of historical figure, General Su Can instead of this mish mash homage to old school kung fu revenge flicks. Cameos by Michelle Yeoh & Gordon Liu are wasted and the God of Wushu character portrayed by Jay Chou is just absurd even by wuxia standards. The wire fu & CGI is too much at times & generally distracts from the fight scenes rather than enhancing them. I have to say that Xun Zhou, who plays Su Can's wife is the only one who gives a halfway decent acting performance & the only character worth caring about as this movie devolves into a farce by the time the end credits roll.

Comment

• TALES OF A EUNUCH - Dir. Hua Shan (1983)

I was expecting the usual comical sight gags & physical gags of SBs comedic stalwart Wang Yu in the lead role and it played out that way for the most part. But I was a little taken back at the level of violence & gore on display for what is essentially a kung fu comedy & a precursor to Stephen Chow's Royal Tramp series as both are based on the popular novel by Louis Cha. It wasn't Riki-Oh level or anything but I was still a little taken back at the scenes involving arterial blood sprays, fists punching through body cavities and pulling out entrails & the copious amounts of the red stuff flowing. Perhaps the opening scene where a decapitated head goes flying through the air & lands in Wang Yu's hands should have alerted me to the level of violence that was going to be on display. In between the scenes of graphic violence were also some bawdy sex jokes including a running gag involving Wang Yu's mother, played by Shaw Yin Yin, who works as a whore in a local brothel being caught in a difficult position while fellating one of her regulars.

Comment

• The Gate part 2. It's a pretty decent film. Better then its reputation for sure.
                    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• LOVELINES (Rod Amateau, 1984). Michael Winslow (in inserts) plays the Duke of Verona (and switchboard phoneservice narrator) to star-crossed battle-of-the-bands rival-high lovers. Shakespeare improved: it starts out like Romeo and Juliet and ends up a teen comedy. Hijinks, boobs, oh-god-its-a-musical. Caught dildo in hand, hero tells principal lady it's an ancient Chinese artifact. "Ming?" "Dong." Miguel Ferrer punks up credibly (The Flying Phlegm), Shecky Greene's the MC, and there's breaking at the break. Cyrano de Bergerac cameo (hi, Mel). Derivative, cheap, energetic, the balls are equal part cheese, corn, goof and balls: like a John Hughes movie made for Crown International. (William Hillman (THE PHOTOGRAPHER, DOUBLE EXPOSURE) co-wrote, so maybe this was headed for Crown at some point.) Lowly recommended.

Now I want to see THE SENIORS, DRIVE-IN, and HIGH SCHOOL USA.

Comment

• There are a shitload of telephones in this movie. It was 1984, and people were yearning to connect: Michael Winslow pretty much plays the internet.

Comment

• That would be about 25% balls, after you do the math.

Comment

• I really enjoyed LOVELINES. Nothing special but its a fun watch that covers all the bases.

Comment

• THE MAN FROM HONG KONG - Dir. Brian Trenchard-Smith (1975)

I re-watched this to get the bad taste of A MAN CALLED TIGER out of my mouth. Ok, this is somewhat cheesy & dated as fuck & like a lot of 70s exploitation flicks, it doesn't really stand the test of time of being considered a "cult classic" but I've always enjoyed it. Perhaps, the director not taking things too seriously and playing it tongue in cheek helps matters. After reading about all the problems involved in this joint production and hearing from the director that JWY was very difficult on the set with an ego the size of China -- all things considered, it's a fun flick and wildly entertaining in parts.

Also a nice antithesis to the emasculated image of the Asian hero that is prominent in Hollywood these days with JWY literally "going down under" on a couple of Aussie broads. None of this nonsense like Jet Li shirking his manly duties when Bridget Fonda is offering her poonanny in KISS OF The DRAGON or Chow Yun-fat acting like a homo towards Mira Sorvino in THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS...no sirree, no 'yang wei' for Wang Yu in this one. He came off as a virile Asian pimp daddy laying the pipe on these pinktoes and letting 'em know that the proverbial "ancient Chinese secret" is plenty of bear gallbladder & deer penis wine.

Comment

• He came off as a virile Asian pimp daddy laying the pipe on these pink toes and letting 'em know that the proverbial "ancient Chinese secret" is plenty of bear gallbladder & deer penis wine.
                                I am pretty positive the man himself would be EXTREMELY happy with these words from you....I am sure he was pretty much like that in real life too!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X