No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket Case - It was on in the background at a movie party was had last night. It's fun but you've all seen it so you don't need me to tell you that.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• The Funhouse - Hadn't seen this in a long time, it holds up well. Good lead performance from the chick who survives whose name I am spacing on, some cool effects, GREAT setting and lots of nice color and atmosphere. I wonder why Tobe Hooper decided to stop making good movies?
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        The Funhouse - Hadn't seen this in a long time, it holds up well. Good lead performance from the chick who survives whose name I am spacing on, some cool effects, GREAT setting and lots of nice color and atmosphere. I wonder why Tobe Hooper decided to stop making good movies?
        Yes, this holds up really well. After not having seen it for years I was kinda surprised at how good it was. The big reveal of the monster's face is quite a shock too.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
          THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS Blu.

Looks damn good and is a lot of fun. Wish Dalton had done more - he's a first rate Bond. And the opening and closing stunt sequences are excellent.
          Yeah.

Good script by Richard Maibaum. The writing is so important.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            The Funhouse - Hadn't seen this in a long time, it holds up well. Good lead performance from the chick who survives whose name I am spacing on, some cool effects, GREAT setting and lots of nice color and atmosphere. I wonder why Tobe Hooper decided to stop making good movies?
            I always thought it was decent. Held up by a couple of great scenes and Rob Bottin's makeup. Aside from that it's pretty average. I think isn't that great of a director, the only films of his that really memorable are TCM 1 and 2. Everything else was either bland, he didn't direct it, or "compromised".
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
              THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS Blu.

Looks damn good and is a lot of fun. Wish Dalton had done more - he's a first rate Bond. And the opening and closing stunt sequences are excellent.
              Definitely one of the best in the series. It is just so spot on.
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Convent Of Sinners - Joe D'Amato and nunsploitation go together like hurricanes and Rolling Rock. Thought I had seen this before but was wrong. Decent enough, didn't see the ending coming. Nicely shot, performances convincing in spots but hampered by bad dubbing in other spots. Definitely not doing anything we haven't seen before in other nunsploitation films but worth a watch if you dig the genre.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Nightmare(s in a Damaged Brain): Masterpiece. One of the great 80's psychotic serial killer slashers. Amazing effects, great acting, intense music, a helluva 3rd act. Love this film. I do not understand the criticisms that the acting is bad and the film is slow. Kids act like that, mothers act like that, etc. I can't speak for the doctor but to write off the entire film's acting because of 2 minor characters is very petty.

Comment

• Jason Goes To Hell - stepson wanted to watch this one. I hadn't seen it in years. It's fun. Doesn't fit with the earlier entries at all and it's pretty silly but I still like it.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Followed that up with Jason X - it's still really, really stupid and takes the franchise in a horrible direction but I enjoy this one as the mindless turd of a movie that it is.

After that... Planes Trains & Automobiles - saw this in the theater and loved it, it still holds up. The right mix of sweet and stupid. Martin and Candy made a great team.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN - Max Ophuls' beautiful and devastating story of obsessive love and the consequences of following your heart. I picked this up due to my ongoing Joan Fontaine crush and she's so impressive here as a woman who throws her life away for someone who doesn't even remember her. This film admittedly may not be for everyone but it'd be a mistake to write this off as a woman's picture. Unforgettable. Now, if we could just get Ophuls' great noir with Joan Bennett on dvd, THE RECKLESS MOMENT - TCM ran it this past summer.

Comment

• KOTOKO - Dir. Shin'ya Tsukamoto (2011)

One of the most devastating psychological films I've ever seen & it just lingers in your mind long after the viewing. A true masterpiece by Tsukamoto and perhaps his best yet. Special mention must be made of the pop singer turned actress, Cocco. She not only convincingly plays her role as a single mother, whose harrowing descent into madness is the focal point of the film but she also aided in the art direction and music as well. As par for the course, Tsukamoto also has a role in the movie as a writer who is obsessed with the mentally disturbed Cocco & gets involved in a bizarre and violent masochistic relationship. Highly recommended and worth watching several times to catch the nuances of the madness that envelopes the main character. Enjoyed it so much that I picked up the excellent UK blu ray release from THIRD WINDOW FILMS.

Comment

• Legend Of The Witches - This one bounces back and forth between interesting and boring as it takes us to school on the history of witchcraft and it's ties to modern Christianity. We get to watch an 'actual' black mass and learn about the in's and out's of ritual and ceremony. It's nicely shot in black and white and has good atmosphere throughout.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I Saw the Devil: Very good but also frustrating. Frustrating in the way that I hate seeing stupidity being willfully done and the crux of the film is how our main character gets his revenge. Good film but flawed.

Comment

• RUN FOR COVER - Excellent Jimmy Cagney western, maybe the best I've seen from him. Nicholas Ray directed and it's got plenty of action as well as an emotional connection. Ernest Borgnine has a small part as a baddie. Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X