Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some pretty great ones in this weekend:

Saturday I watched:

A BELL FROM HELL: The discussion on this one in the "Art House Horrors" thread pushed this one up my queue, and boy it was not a disappointment. It's a real shame about the director's death after this -- would have loved to see what else he did.

SATAN'S SLAVE: Man I dug the hell out of this one. I have a real fondness for the 70's Satanic/Occult/Witchcraft trend, and this one did not disappoint.

FEMALE TEACHER - DIRTY AFTERNOON: Definitely the better of this month's Nikkatsu titles from Synapse. Several scenes in this were shot in areas I spent time in when I was living in Japan, which was kinda cool. Also illustrated just how much Tokyo grew in the last 40 years -- the view from the Tokyo Tower looks NOTHING like that today!

Last night I had an awesome double feature...

WILD BEASTS: Camera Obscura scores again. This movie was just ridiculously fun, and way better than I expected. Knowing the budget limitations of Italian genre cinema I expected a lot of dodgy fake animal effects. So seeing all the real animals in action was awesome. Also continued my inadvertent Lorraine De Selle film festival with having watched this, Madness, and Damned in Venice within a few days of each other.

BLONDE AMBITION: Jessica Simpsons and Luke Wilson were just electric together... No, of course not. Watched the VideoXPix special edition of the Amero Bros. film (actually my first exposure to any of their work.) Man that movie is fantastic. Worth the cost of the DVD for the Gone With the Wind bit alone.

Comment

• Red Riding: In the year of our lord 1974. The intensity of the cop violence floored me: I thought it'd be more along the lines of baby-raping. It's like I was braced expecting a blow from one direction, then went down all the harder for being prepared for it. Violence-jitsu.

Comment

• Zeder: After many years of hearing about this one I decided to finally watch it with an open mind. And just like Avati's House of Laughing Windows I found myself bored. Not as bored as House of Laughing Windows but still bored. It plays out more like a gialli than anything else. I found it amusing during the pool scene that it played a sound effect that sounded very, very similar to the one that the eggs make in Luigi Cozzi's Contamination. But yeah, it's very well shot and acted and has great music. But I didn't care. Same with House. Only in House's case I was even more bored with it and I saw the twist coming about 20 minutes in.

I could see the twist in this one, but not as clearly. I really wanted to like it but it failed.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Forever Evil - How they stretched this thing to 2 hours I'm not sure, pretty awesome in its awfulness as it rips off Evil Dead and somehow winds up more like Things. I liked it.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• What are you watching?

LISA AND THE DEVIL Blu last night.

I forgot just how much I love this movie. Gorgeous to look at, weird to the bone and simply mesmerizing. Elke looks amazingly hot too.

This also contains my favorite Telly Savalas performance. I love his playful but sinister portrayal and he makes perfect use of his wonderful voice.

Comment

• Last night:

BLACK SUNDAY: New blu-ray a great excuse to revisit a classic. The last time I saw this was many years ago, and I have to say all the movies I've seen since then have only made me appreciate this one more.

AU PAIR GIRLS: I know a lot of people aren't fans of the 70's British sex comedies because of their relative tameness and their corny "wink wink nudge nudge" humor. If you feel that way, this one won't change your mind. I am a fan of the genre, however -- I really love the playful, innocuous quality a lot of them have -- and this is one of my favorites in the genre. A bevy of ridiculously hot girls, a ton of goofy situations, some genuine laughs, and a fun catchy score.

Comment

• Hostel II: This really wasn't all that different from the first one, other than that it focued on a group of young women instead of young men. Cool to see Edwige holding up well and Ruggero as a cannibal was an amusing bit of novelty casting. Some good gore, not much of a story, characters are pretty thin. It killed an hour and a half and didn't make me want to claw my eyes out.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• LISA - A teenager makes prank calls to good looking men she sees on the street, she inadvertently calls the Candle Light Killer, a sex maniac who's operating in her neighborhood...This is a weird film, obviously influenced by I SAW WHAT YOU DID, with a PG 13 rating it's not explicitly gory or sleazy but it is very effective and gets quite intense. Good turns by Staci Keanan and Cheryl Ladd too. I have to wonder who this was intended for, it's not graphic enough for the horror crowd yet it's probably too scary for younger teens. Directed and co-written by Gary Sherman of DEAD AND BURIED and RAW MEAT fame.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• revisited seasons 1-4 of Breaking Bad over the space of a week. Liked it even better the second time around. Hope season 5 measures up.

Comment

• FLOSSIE: Really fun Swedish smut from Mac Ahlberg. Thin on plot, but the sex scenes are edited really well, the pace never flags and Marie Forsí¥ is absolutely radiant.

A SMELL OF HONEY, A SWALLOW OF BRINE: I mentioned in the "Ultimate Degenerate" thread awhile back that I'd yet to see a roughie that really hooked me on the genre. Well, this was the one. Absolutely scorching performance from Stacey Walker, cool hypnotic soundtrack, and a great seedy atmosphere.

FASCINATION: I hadn't gotten around to re-watching this since the BD came out. Absolutely stunning transfer of one of Rollin's best.

Comment

• Finished RED RIDING (80/83). To trivialize it, sort of like James Ellroy in Yorkshire: power, corruption and I guess class (instead of race). The decade-long timespan lets history haunt the story, and the pre-strike timing makes it feel like the end of a long coal-dirty era: despite those feudal stronghold coal stacks, Fitzwilliam would soon be a ghost town.

Comment

• Smell Of Honey is AWESOME!!

Last night, got 15 minutes into Sisters Of Death before realizing I'd just watched it. Followed that up with Killer Klowns From Outer Space, which I hadn't seen in quite some time. It still blows my mind that that movie got a major studio release.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Cosmopolis: Pretty interesting. It's the kind of picture you have to re-watch a few times to get I think.

Comment

• Moonrise Kingdom: Easily best of 2012.

Comment

• HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH-I'd forgotten how mean spirited this film was which means a good time to be had by all. It also looks great. One of the top Blu Rays of the year for me.
                                "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Working...
                                X