No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 Jump Street, the 2011 movie. I expected it to be bad. It was worse. It is as if noone in hollywood even tries with comedies anymore. Every one of these new "funny" movies feel like they were written in 15 minutes tops, with no rewrites.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• What are you watching?

Finally saw The Hunger Games - not bad, like BR-Lite I guess.

Also watched V/H/S and enjoyed it pretty thoroughly. Some bits clearly better than others but overall not too shabby.
      It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

• Brief Encounter. Criterion blu-ray's stunning; a bit British.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
          Brief Encounter... a bit British.
          Ha. Yes, I love this film, but it's so buttoned up it makes my teeth hurt.

Comment

• STILL OF THE NIGHT. Great American giallo with some terrifically eerie scenes and an unsettling atmosphere throughout. This holds up pretty well and feels more like De Palma than most of De Palma's work.

Comment

• BASHING -Dir. Masahiro Kobayashi (2005)

An exceptionally brave film that pulls no punches in critiquing Japan for its "the nail that sticks up must be hammered down" group think mentality. A young girl volunteers in Iraq as an aid worker but is kidnapped and taken hostage by rebel forces. Eventually she is freed and returns back to her provincial hometown in Japan but rather than being hailed as a good samaritan or shown empathy for undergoing such a traumatic ordeal -- she instead has become a pariah, is ostracized by her peers & is harassed on a daily basis for bringing shame to her parents & being a national embarrassment.

Comment

• Nutbag: How the fuck did Nick Palumbo use this film to raise capital for what is essentially a remake (MSP). The acting is just as bad if not worse than MSP, the dialog is on another level of so-bad-it's-good and it's very, very badly shot. I lost my shit when a cartoon sound effect (used in the pilot episode of South Park on top of that) is used during a shock moment.

A good film to learn what not to do.

It's the Troll 2 of serial killer movies.
                Alex K.
                Last edited by Alex K.; 09-02-2012, 01:22 PM.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• [REC] 3: Genesis - I'll have a formal review up tomorrow but I liked this. I can understand that certain horror fans will not, as it's a big shift from the first two, but I thought it worked pretty well. Not a perfect movie, but definitely a fun one.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• BLIND - Dir. Ahn Sang Hoon (2011)

Inspired by Terence Young's British thriller, Wait Until Dark...we have essentially the same storyline transplanted to contemporary Korea with Kim Ha Neul in lieu of Audrey Hepburn in the lead role as a blind ex-police trainee on the hunt for a serial killer. Kim Ha Neul gives a strong performance but felt the rest of this move fell flat & was nothing special in regards to the typical girl vs psycho killer showdown that punctuates this rather mediocre movie.

Comment

• Christina (1984) 91m. Not Rated. Soft Core late night garbage. Stupid Emmanuelle ripoff. Lame, poorly choreographed girl fight. Hot, mean girls racing toy cars around Christina's private area. Completely insipid. I loved it!

The Cold Light Of Day
                      (1996)...seen on Netflux instant. Richard E Grant stars in the Jack Nicholson role from The Pledge (2001). It took me about 20 minutes to realize that it was the same story. Then I started doing some research and found that the same novel has been adapted 5 times over the years: 1958, 1979, 1996,1997, and 2001.

The ending is a lot different than Sean Penn version.

Spoiled.

I had no idea.
                      paul h.
                      woly boly
                      Last edited by paul h.; 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM. Reason: I LOvE Editing my posts!!!!!

Comment

• Porkchop

Fun low budget homage to 80s backwood slashers. A group of 6 young adults plus a robot head to the backwoods of West Virgina to go camping. Set in the 80s this film is a fun tribute/homage to stuff like Friday the 13th,The Burning and Sleepaway Camp. The only member of the cast I have ever seen in anything before was Ruby Larocca. But the real stand outs were whoever did the voice for the robot and Ian the British punk rock guy. I also liked how all the gore effects were done with practical FX. No CGI at all in this film. Only thing missing was the rampart nudity that was in the 80s slasher films.

Comment

• The second Porkchop film is fun too. Not as good as the first one but if you liked the first one, you'll probably like the follow up. Same quality of practical gore effects, a bit of nudity, and a random musical number or too. It will be interesting to see what they do with the third one.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• THE TURN OF THE SCREW - Eloy de la Iglasia's version of the classic ghost story makes some changes, the governess is now a male teacher, a failed seminary student. The repressed sexuality is still there, this time it's repressed homosexuality. The perversity is more pronounced and there are some genuinely eerie moments (not to mention some awesome creepy doll action) but this still pales in comparison to THE INNOCENTS. Well worth seeing all the same though.

KIDNAPPED (SECUESTRADOS ) - Very effective Spanish film that concerns home invasion. Brutal thugs invade a family's new home as they're moving in, giving the husband the choice of emptying his bank accounts or watching his wife and daughter murdered. This has some interesting twists and surprises and an ending that is truly shocking. Very unsettling stuff.
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                              KIDNAPPED (SECUESTRADOS ) - Very effective Spanish film that concerns home invasion. Brutal thugs invade a family's new home as they're moving in, giving the husband the choice of emptying his bank accounts or watching his wife and daughter murdered. This has some interesting twists and surprises and an ending that is truly shocking. Very unsettling stuff.
                              I really enjoyed this as well. I was expecting perhaps another take on Funny Games but it reminded me quite a bit of the New French Extreme films in their tone & mean spirit. I could've easily mistaken this as the work of Maury & Bustillo which is a backhanded compliment haha. The ending was quite shocking but not for the reasons one would initially suspect.

SAWAKO DECIDES - Dir. Yuya Ishii (2010)

What can I say about this film other than I am a fan of Hikari Mitsushima.

Comment

• Mother's Day - hadn't seen this in years and forgot how grim it gets towards the end. It's actually a surprisingly effectively skuzzy film, I liked it more than I remembered.

Nympho Diver: G-String Festival - fairly plotless but enjoyable and sexy little comedy with some dramatic bits thrown in towards the end.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X