No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Corman's Intruder: Very good time capsule picture. Not trying to come off as one of the unwashed masses but I understand why people have difficulty watching films made in 60's and beyond. The differences are not just the way films are shot or a story is plotted out but the dialog and overall interaction is so radically different compared to today unlike films made in the 70's or quite a few in the 60's. But it doesn't really work against this film because it's very much about a time and place in america and does it very matter of factly. Though I'm no fan of the Shat but he does okay in this picture.

Check it out. Another picture on the pile point that Corman was not some B movie hack.

Edit: Holy shit William Shatner is 81!? Him and Dick Clak must've used the same witch doctor or something.
    Alex K.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 07-29-2012, 11:57 PM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• THE SKULL - Perhaps Amicus' best movie...? I think a case could be made for that. Creepy atmosphere, minimal storyline, very well acted, lots of eerie style all over, and there's barely any dialogue in the last half or so (and it's not even boring).
      bgart13
      Last edited by bgart13; 07-30-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• I love The Skull!

Last night... Wild Zero. A good family cottage movie.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Blade Runner - Deckard actually does get to finish those noodles while in the flying car with Gaff. Now I can stop worrying.

Comment

• Satan's Little Helper: God I hated that little shit head. Fucking hate little kids in movies. Aside from that, it tries to go for awkward comedy and I didn't laugh a single time. The mother and daughter were semi-likable. Has nothing going for it though.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Retribution (Guy Magar, 1987). Comments in the thread.

Comment

• SCACCO ALLA REGINA - Here's a film I would like to see come to dvd, I loved this! A troubled and bored married woman takes a job as a companion to an eccentric actress. She's strangely passive to the constant mistreatment she receives, and even seems to enjoy it. Directed by Pasquale Festa Campanile (of HITCHHIKE fame) and featuring exquisite production design from future director Flavio Mogherini, this is a strange and beautiful film. Piero Piccioni contributes one of his most famous scores - which actually becomes a character in the film it's so prominently and sometimes loudly out front. Haydee Politoff and Rosanna Schiaffino are servant and mistress and we see a lot of Politoff if you get my drift...Somewhat sad in the end but absolutely unforgettable.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• They Live - another good cottage movie with the family! Still one of the best fight scenes ever.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• THE DARK KNIGHT RISES-Much better than I expected. While the villain(s) weren't as memorable as the Joker it was still a great movie.
                    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• 3 Dev Adam - Figured the younger folks in the family should see a REAL Spider-man movie.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• BOYS ON THE RUN - Dir. Daisuke Miura (2010)

I was half expecting a Japanese version of "The 40 Year Old Virgin" or perhaps a more prurient retelling of "Densha Otoko" but this quirky sex comedy film is hard to pin down -- some of the tropes are present that are familiar (read: tedious) in Western sex/romantic comedies but there is also an odd melange of dark humor & a mean spirit running through out this film that elevates this movie above the typical genre fare.

Comment

• MST3K Fugitive Alien

Comment

• DEATH MACHINES - I think I swallowed my gum.

MALIBU HIGH - Right up there with POM POM GIRLS as the best Crown releases imo. I noticed this time that this borrows a music cue from an Italian film, not sure which one. It's something I know from one of the Easy Tempo volumes, have to check that at some point.

Comment

• Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry

Interesting documentary on Ai Weiwei. Pretty much zero critical distance, but it's enthusiastic and charming, which makes up for it. Chinese police smile a lot.

http://aiweiweineversorry.com/

Comment

• THE NAME OF THE GAME IS KILL - This starts off with some really creepy doll imagery (I mean really creepy, damn near disturbing) and then proceeds to get even stranger. Jack Lord is a Hungarian (!) drifter who is taken in by three odd sisters and their mother. We already know from the opener that the last man who stayed with them was murdered, so you have to wonder if this will end well. I had a feeling this would have a twist ending but I sure as hell never saw this one coming, a revelation that prety much freaked me out. Then the capper is a chilling final scene, a facial expression that you'd never expect to frighten but in this case it certainly did. Directed by the awesomely-named Gunnar Hellstrom and with Susan Strasberg as one of the sisters, it also has a killer Electric Prunes song. Good stuff, this cries out for a dvd release, it'd have a big cult following if it did.

Comment

Working...
                                X