No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marey Shelley's Frankenstein (1994): Worthless. Just a meh remake with some good acting but it doesn't do anything unique enough (unlike Coppola's Dracula) to set it apart. De Niro gives in a blatant paycheck performance here.

Re-watched Cannibal Ferox in a weird way to honor Sage.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• THE EVIL DEAD - Strangely enough, although I've seen Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness many, many times I hadn't seen the original since I first rented the VHS tape about twenty years ago. My memory of this film did not do this one justice. I remembered it as being mostly interesting as a dry run for Evil Dead 2. I suppose I still like the second one better, but it's a close call.

NAKED CAME THE STRANGER - Not my favorite Metzger or Paris film, but still pretty good. Absolutely loved the silent sequence and the NY cinematography.

Comment

• PRIME CUT- Lee Marvin plays a hit man who gets pressed into service after an associate gets turned into hotdogs. Along his way to kick Gene Hackman's ass he saves a nekkid Sissy Spacek from human trafficking. Features one of the slowest chase scenes ever. It's not as good as it wants to be, but is worth a look for the always awesome Marvin and Spacek's surprisingly fantastic boobs.

SLEEPING DOGS LIE- Bobcat Goldthwait wrote and directed this dark romantic comedy that features bestiality, paint huffing and Elvis masturbating. Better than Shakes the Clown.

Comment

• Hell Night - not nearly as good as I remember it being. Linda Blair has chipmunk cheeks.

Cheerleader Camp - rappin' Leif Garrett. Nuff said?
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Mister Buddwing (Delbert Mann, 1966). Amnesiac James Garner wakes up in Central Park, spends the day looking for himself in b&w NYC. Evan Hunter's fakeass pyscho-allegorical odyssey is a real grey-flannel trip: Garner meets God, shoots craps with Uhura, sparks a 60s riot, gets scavenged as a forgotten man a la MY MAN GODFREY, and wears a velour pullover. The flashback revelations and the conceit of the serial women actually worked okay for me, but my resistance was low. Co-starring New York; also Angela Lansbury, Katherine Ross, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jean Simmons (as maybe his Circe/Nausicaa/Calypso/Sirens/Penelope). The Warner Archives dvd includes a 9-minute promo piece ("Searchers for a Special City") that offers even more NY b&w cheesecake, and some cool shots of Garner goofing and perching on a ladder to talk to a crowd of location spectators.

Comment

• My Bloody Valentine - more Moosehead product placement than any other movie ever made ever in the history of forever. Lots of good gore too.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Smokey and the Bandit BD. Not as beautiful as I wanted it to look, but at least they changed the title song back to the original one.

Comment

• EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN -- Having now caught up with the black sheep of the Hammer Frankenstein family, I'm happy to say that I think this one has been unfairly maligned over the years. Certainly it's not as good as others in the series, and can't compare to the first...but its far from "dismal" as some put it. The whole "fair-ground hypnotist uses the monster to do his bidding" plot echoes Caligari in fun ways, there's some really nice matte work, there's a handful of genuinely witty lines, and Peter Cushing remains excellent (unsurprisingly) as the mad Doctor. Definitely worth watching for Hammer fans even if its unlikely to make anyones list of all time best from the studio.

Comment

• The Crucible aka Silenced (2011) - Dir. Hwang Dong Hyuk

I picked up this blu ray about a month ago & finally got around to watching it. It centers around a newly hired teacher from Seoul who begins teaching at a school for the deaf out in the boonies. It doesn't take him long to discover the school is harboring a horrifying secret. With the aid of a sympathetic social worker, he undergoes a plan to expose the truth of sexual & physical abuse at the school but soon runs into an administration, law enforcement & community who are not only apathetic to his case but outwardly hostile to an 'outsider' stirring things up in their close knit community due to some of them being active participants in the crimes against the deaf children.

Emotionally gut wrenching movie with fine acting all around especially by the young child actors in spite of the disturbing material & scenes of physical and sexual trauma. This movie is all the more disturbing when I found it was based on true events & the courts recently re-opened some of the cases against the defendants portrayed in this movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                      The Crucible aka Silenced (2011) - Dir. Hwang Dong Hyuk

Emotionally gut wrenching movie with fine acting all around especially by the young child actors in spite of the disturbing material & scenes of physical and sexual trauma. This movie is all the more disturbing when I found it was based on true events & the courts recently re-opened some of the cases against the defendants portrayed in this movie.
                      Yep..it was actually this movie (and a few other big news sex crimes against kids) that opened up this case file by the police....The main perp has gone to jail now and they are looking to get some of the others locked up too.....There have been one or two other high profile cases that have caused the sentencing for crimes against kids to be toughened up somewhat recently..Sad to say for a long while the sentences in Korea (and the conviction rate)for this type of crime were laughable!!

Back on topic...

WRATH OF THE TITANS...

More enjoyable than the first part...everyone (including the lead) seem to be up for a fun time for ths ne...and it helps the movie e more enjoyable....

STILL not great movie...but enjoyable..

Comment

• THE YOUNG SAVAGES (John Frankenheimer, 1961). Another Evan Hunter book, with Italian & Spanish gangs running wild in the streets of East Harlem. Burt Lancaster vs switchblades, a subway chain beating, Batman, Zorro, Shelley Winters, and Telly Savalas with hair. I thought it would be greater, but I was in a pissy mood.

Comment

• The Tribe season 1 part 2

Got this set for my birthday and haven't watch the first season in years. Now I am hooked again on the show. It is a weird mixture of Mad Max,Degrassi and 90210.

Comment

• KAKERA: Piece of Our Life - Momoko Ando

I really enjoyed this debut effort from Ando. It's a quirky lesbian love flick & it was interesting to see Hikari Mitsushima play the polar opposite of her character in LOVE EXPOSURE.

Comment

• Batman Returns: A re-watch of my favorite of the oldschool (Is it really oldschool now? Sigh) Batman flicks. It's silly at times but I love the production design and music and cinematography. It works better if you look at it like an Opera.
                              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Hard To Kill - Steven Segal is Mason Fuckin' Storm and some corrupt politicians and cops and mobsters don't like him cause he can blow their deal wide open. They try to kill but they can't cause he's hard to kill. His wife is pretty easy to kill though. He gets hurt, goes into a coma for 7 years, grows a giant beard, wakes up, porks Kelly Lebrock, and then goes out for revenge. AWESOME.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X