No announcement yet.

Films that are still absent on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Wise's BLOOD ON THE MOON (RKO, 1947) with Robert Mitchum.

Joseph Kane's RIDE THE MAN DOWN (Republic 1952) with Rod Cameron.

CAT GIRL (1957) with Barbara Shelley.

Richard Fleischer's CRACK IN THE MIRROR (1960) with Orson Welles.

Roger Vadim's BLOOD AND ROSES (1960).

John Gilling's SHADOW OF THE CAT (Hammer 1961) with Barbara Shelley.

Ingmar Bergman's ALL THESE WOMEN (1964) his first experiment with color.

Robert Bresson's A GENTLE WOMAN (1969) with Dominique Sanda.

Paul Wendkos' THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (1970) with Glen Ford.

Ingmar Bergman's THE TOUCH (1970) with Bibi Andersson.

Orson Welles' THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND (1971) starring John Huston and Peter Bogdanovich. Bogdanovich has control of this one. He completed it years ago. So what's holding it up?

Costa Gavras' acclaimed THE CONFESSION (1971) with Yves Montand, made headlines in the USA and is still a very current political thriller.

Costa Gavras's acclaimed STATE OF SIEGE (1972) with Yves Montand, more relevant than ever before, took the USA by storm in 1973 and is now completely forgotten.

Mike Nichols THE FORTUNE (1975) with Stockard Channing, Beatty and Nicholson.

THE NIGHT THAT PANICKED AMERICA (1975) recreating Orson Welles' War of the World broadcast with Paul Shenar and Eileen Brennan.

Alan Rudolph's REMEMBER MY NAME (1977) with Geraldine Chaplin and music by Alberta Hunter.

Fred Zinneman's FIVE DAYS ONE SUMMER (1981) with Sean Connery's best performance on film.

William D. Wittliff's THE RED HEADED STRANGER (1981) with Willie Nelson.

Robert M. Young's THE BALLAD OF GREGORIO CORTEZ (1982) with

Leonard Schrader's NAKED TANGO (1991) with Mathilda May in her best role.

Foreign editions with no English options don't count.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
      This is my favorite western. I have a crummy torrent that I've watched over and over, would love to see a cleaned up proper version.
      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Not technically absent from DVD, but I'd really like to see a definitive version of Bava's Blood and Black Lace someday.

Comment

Costa Gavras's acclaimed STATE OF SIEGE (1972) with Yves Montand, more relevant than ever before, took the USA by storm in 1973 and is now completely forgotten.
          Nice list there, Richard. BLOOD ON THE MOON is available on English-friendly DVD from France, and STATE OF SIEGE is available on English-friendly DVD from Korea or Thailand - I can't remember which. I have both DVDs and can vouch for them.
          Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
          Did THE HOUSE ON STRAW HILL ever show up - even on an MOD program? This was part of the aborted Barrel slate.
          THE HOUSE ON STRAW HILL has had a couple of releases in the UK, Horace, both slightly cut (by just under a minute). I've a feeling that there's a European DVD release too (French or Spanish, IIRC) but might be wrong about that.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
            Not technically absent from DVD, but I'd really like to see a definitive version of Bava's Blood and Black Lace someday.
            So would I, together with THE WHIP AND THE BODY.

Marco de Gastyne's SAINT JOAN THE MAID (La merveilleuse vie de Jeanne d'Arc, 1928-9) stunning silent epic.

Guillaume Radot's witchcraft drama Le destin exécrable de Guillemette Babin (1948).

Emilio Ferní¡ndez's infidelity noir LA RED (Nosotros dos / We Two, 1955) with Rosanna Podesta and Tito Junco.

Emilio Ferní¡ndez's western noir EL IMPOSTER (1960) starring Pedro Armendí¡riz.

Emilio Ferní¡ndez's crime noir THE DOWNCAST GOD (El crepíºsculo de un dios, 1969).

Emilio Ferní¡ndez's graphic home-invasion-rape noir LA CHOCA (1974) starring Pilar Pellicer (from One-Eyed Jacks).

Emilio Ferní¡ndez's filmed-in-a-brothel noir THE RED ZONE (Zona roja, 1976) with abundant full-frontal female nudity.
            Richard--W
            a straight arrow
            Last edited by Richard--W; 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Marco de Gastyne's SAINT JOAN THE MAID (La merveilleuse vie de Jeanne d'Arc, 1928-9) stunning silent epic.
              I have heard wonderful things about this film. Maybe Criterion could be convinced to include it as an extra when they put out their edition of Dreyer's film. The comparison would fascinating.

As for THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, as far as I know Bogdanovich doesn't have total control. The rights are apparently something of a clusterfuck which is why it hasn't surfaced yet, despite being finished for ages. I believe about 20 minutes of the film turned up on YouTube last year. Didn't last long though.

Comment

I believe Mondo Macabro plans to release How to Seduce a Virgin (Plaisir í  trois, 1974) end of 2013, but there are many other Franco films that have not been released, and many more that have not been released in region 1 and English friendly editions. It's time to get the rest of those Franco films released in the largest market of his fandom.

Which ones would you like to see? Here's my list:

Les gloutonnes (Les exploits érotiques de Maciste dans l'Atlantide, 1973)

Tendre et perverse Emanuelle (1973)

Al otro lado del espejo (The Obscene Mirror, 1973)

The Brutal Nights of Linda (Les nuits brí»lantes de Linda (1975).

Justine and the Whip (1979) according to imdb finished by Joe D'Amato,from an unfinished Franco film shot in 1975 spliced up with footage from Franco's own Midnight Party and Shining Sex.

Elles font tout (Quel certo sapore, 1979)

Je brí»le de partout (Rapt de nymphettes, 1979)

Historia de una perversií³n (Eugenie / Wicked Memoirs of Eugenie, 1980)

Sinfoní­a erí³tica (1980)

í“palo de fuego: Mercaderes del sexo (Two Female Spies with Flowered Panties, 1980)

Voces de muerte (1983) based on a Edgar Wallace play.

La Virgen pervertida (Lilian / Lilian the Perverted Virgin, 1984)

El lago de las ví­rgenes (The Lake of the Virgins, 1987)

Even his unfinished films -- like The Mystery of the Red Castle (1973) -- should be collected in a 2-disc or 3-disc box-set with two or three or more titles per disc entitled The Utterly Outrageous Unfinished Films of Jess Franco. I'll bet there'll be a lot to enjoy in there. It will sell.

Home video distributors, what are you waiting for?
                Richard--W
                a straight arrow
                Last edited by Richard--W; 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM.

Comment

It would be amazing if HEADLESS EYES got any kind of decent release, if the equally squalid (and great) MARDI GRA MASSACRE can get a DVD release why not HE?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius View Post
                    Originally Posted by Richard--W
                    I have heard wonderful things about this film. Maybe Criterion could be convinced to include it as an extra when they put out their edition of Dreyer's film. The comparison would fascinating.
                    Try to convince Criterion to put it out individually, Ignatius, if you can.

SAINT JOAN THE MAID isn't a minor or secondary film. It's a major work that holds its own against the Dreyer film. It was restored photochemically in 1983 and circulates among private collectors in variable quality on DVD-R. It merits a special edition blu-ray, with commentary and supplements at the very least. Everyone who sees it is blown away by it.

Comment

SAINT JOAN THE MAID isn't a minor or secondary film. It's a major work that holds its own against the Dreyer film. It was restored photochemically in 1983 and circulates among private collectors in variable quality on DVD-R. It merits a special edition blu-ray, with commentary and supplements at the very least. Everyone who sees it is blown away by it.
                      That's what I've been hearing from others who have seen it. I think it may even be up in its entirety on YouTube but there's no way I'm watching it like that. It's unfortunate that the rising acclaim of Dreyer's film over the years has pushed it into the background.

Comment

For me the holy grail is "Making Waves" by George Saunders (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110445).

I saw it few times on TV ~12-13 years ago and since it was never released (AFAIK) on any home format I hasn't been able to find it. It's kinda sad cause it's the best film by Saunders and all his other titles are rather easily available. Don't get me wrong it's not a masterpiece and not even agreat film, but it's fun and cheesy in just the right way. Shame that nobody knows about that. Except for 2 reviews available on the net I've never met anyone who's even heard about it.
                        Here's a plot summary by Joe Bob Briggs:
                        "Making Waves" is the story of three couples who go off on a yacht, Alan Alda-style, to help their friend, the manic depressive schizophrenic, stop talking to his invisible stuffed dancing bear, "Oswald," and go back to his gynecology practice. Meanwhile, a nekkid New Age angel is sent down from heaven by angelic drill sergeant Mickey Rooney to teach everybody the true meaning of love, only the angel turns out to be hornier than Mickey counted on.

Sure, we've seen it before, but HAVE we seen it with talking water fowl serving as an aquatic Greek chorus?
                        I'd love to see it one day and check if it's as fun as I remember.

Last edited by edkrak; 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X