Godzilla 2014 & Godzilla: King Of The Monsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godzilla 2014 & Godzilla: King Of The Monsters

OK, so the first American Godzilla film was pretty much garbage but hey, they're going back to the well, this time with Monsters director Gareth Edwards at the helm.

Bleeding Cool posted a single, solitary image from the movie here. But given that this thing is still in pre-production and not slated for release until 2014 who knows if that's preliminary CGI work or what.

Click image for larger version

Name:	godzilla-carnage-600x255.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	363075

That teaser that appeared at Comic Con over the summer was cool. There's a 'recreation' here:

And a panel from Comic Con here:

And then there's this poster...

Click image for larger version

Name:	godzilla-comic-con-poster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	363076
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Hate to say it but what's the point? I doubt you could do a gritty and serious Godzilla flick because... It's Godzilla. He's identified as a silly rubber monster known for kiddie monster movies and an early allegory for the Atomic Bomb. A more "believable" and maybe "scary" flick has already been done with Cloverfield. Not that I'm a fan of Cloverfield but that's the best example I can think of. And if you make it gritty and make Godzilla vicious it would lead to fan backlash because the character is strongly identified as ironically Japan's champion and hero to children.

They could make another B flick that doesn't suck like the last remake though.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
      Hate to say it but what's the point?
      Money. There's a built in audience just ready to be exploited!

I doubt you could do a gritty and serious Godzilla flick because... It's Godzilla. He's identified as a silly rubber monster known for kiddie monster movies and an early allegory for the Atomic Bomb. A more "believable" and maybe "scary" flick has already been done with Cloverfield. Not that I'm a fan of Cloverfield but that's the best example I can think of. And if you make it gritty and make Godzilla vicious it would lead to fan backlash because the character is strongly identified as ironically Japan's champion and hero to children.
      Except that Ishiro Honda proved you wrong with the first movie. Not to say that the character hasn't been made into a kid's movie icon but the first movie is bleak, dark, and wonderful. Having been lucky enough to have seen it projected on the big screen, it still inspires some seriously dark mood and it works very well if you can look past the rubber suit aspect.

They could make another B flick that doesn't suck like the last remake though.
      Which is (if we're lucky) what this will probably wind up as. I don't expect it to be as serious as those behind it are claiming it will be. I don't have enough faith in Hollywood.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I liked Monsters well enough so I'd say this has potential to be halfway decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          Money. There's a built in audience j

Except that Ishiro Honda proved you wrong with the first movie. Not to say that the character hasn't been made into a kid's movie icon but the first movie is bleak, dark, and wonderful. Having been lucky enough to have seen it projected on the big screen, it still inspires some seriously dark mood and it works very well if you can look past the rubber suit aspect.
          BUUUUTTTT that was the first movie. The character is now established as a kid-friendly hero. Same as Jason is now established as an unstoppable zombie killer who always walks despite the fact that he was mortal and would jog in the early films.

Comment

BUUUUTTTT that was the first movie. The character is now established as a kid-friendly hero.
            Ehhh...not really. At least not among Godzilla fans. I know that the casual American viewer is most familiar with that era of Godzilla films from all the Saturday afternoon TV showings, but it actually represents a minority of the films and Godzilla hasn't been presented that way in a long time. In Japan there were three series: the Showa, Heisei and Millennium series. The cartoonish, kid-friendly Godzilla that you're talking about is basically the latter part of the Showa series. For the past thirty years the films have been a lot darker (especially in the Millennium series). So I definitely don't think it's a betrayal of tone to do a dark, relatively "serious" Godzilla film. (serious insofar as it takes the concept seriously.)

Comment

Yup. GMK was pretty dark in spots. Biollante has some very dark moments too.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Well I'll be damned.

Comment

You can also look to the Gamera trilogy to see a great example of taking a kid oriented kaiju franchise and successfully presenting it in a much more serious tone.

Comment

Another pathetic attempt to ca$h in on another classic film series.

Will this new film be in anyways an improvement over its Japanese predecessors? No. Will it be an unwatchable mess of ugly cgi? Yes, undoubtedly.

Comment

Give em a chance.....At least its not the INDEPENDENCE DAY guy doing this one!!

I am all for giant monster movies of ALL levels of quality....Just dont make it BORING!!!

Comment

I thought Monsters was godawful so I can't say I'm the least bit interested in this one.

Comment

Suddenly got MORE interesting???

(Mike Fleming at Deadline) did drop a rather large bomb that none other than Frank Darabont has been hired to write the latest draft of the script.

Comment

Shawshank Zilla!

Comment

Bryan Cransto and Elizabeth Olsen added to the cast?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/bryan...adline:default
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X