Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin Diesel is... KOJAK?

So says Den Of Geek:

"The writers of Skyfall are penning a big screen take on Kojak, with Vin Diesel set to star

The resurgent Vin Diesel has an increasingly busy roster of movies to keep him busy. Production is nearly done on next summer's Fast & Furious 6, and already Universal is pushing ahead with Fast & Furious 7 as well. Furthermore, Diesel has been reprising the role of Riddick on the big screen for a third time. We're expecting to see the new Riddick film at some point in 2013.

While he's juggling those, though, Vin Diesel also now has Kojak to keep him busy.

A big screen take on the 70s crime series, the film is being penned by long-time James Bond writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade (Skyfall marked their exit from the 007 franchise). Diesel will take on the role made famous on the small screen by Telly Savalas, and he'll be producing the film as well."

You know what? There's only one Telly and nobody could possibly replace him. The character is sooooo closely identified with the actor in this case that it almost seems like blasphemy to bring him back. BUT... Vin's not a bad choice. He's bad, so there's that, but he's also got the right sort of smart ass attitude and self assurance that Telly had. So if they're going to do this, at least they seem to be moving in a reasonably good direction by casting him.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Um... have they not realized that any actor could shave his head and therefore be the new Kojak? Cause Vin Diesel sucks major balls.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I disagree. I like Vin. Of course any actor could shave his head but Vin can actually act. He rarely does, but he can.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have never seen him do it. In what movies does he actually act?
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Why The Pacifier of course!

Saving Private Ryan I think definitely counts. And I like what he did with the character of Riddick in Pitch Black.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

KOJAK will always be Savalas for me - I was careful not to phrase that the other way round, as Savalas was a good actor who was more than 'just' KOJAK.

That said, I enjoyed the Ving Rhames KOJAK series from seven or eight years ago - despite being very doubtful about it before it aired. (Then again, I also loved the 2003 DRAGNET revival. Come to think of it, where are the Ving Rhames KOJAK and the 2003 DRAGNET on DVD?)

However, I have no doubt that with Vin Diesel in the role, this will be utter rubbish. I can see Diesel's onscreen arrogance as fitting for the role, but...
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              I disagree. I like Vin. Of course any actor could shave his head but Vin can actually act. He rarely does, but he can.
              I agree. Vin can act and I really dig his movies. He will make a fine Kojak.

Comment

He did some short about auditioning for a role. it was fucking amazing. I couldn't believe it was him.

I've never once seen him carry that skill over to his bullshit movies. this will be another cop movie. That they can make a TV show out of later.

Comment

It's true, Vin can act. He chooses not to in the big action flicks though.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Not bad....

I have a feeling that Vin Diesel could do this.....He needs to do some SERIOUS acting though...and the script needs to be tight!

Comment

See I don't know that he needs to be all that serious about the role. Was Telly? He was definitely having fun with the part, you could always tell that.

Agreed on the script though, but that's more or less a given.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        See I don't know that he needs to be all that serious about the role. Was Telly? He was definitely having fun with the part, you could always tell that.

Agreed on the script though, but that's more or less a given.
                        Lol...Sorry about that Ian....When I said SERIOUS acting, I mean that he should do some HARD CORE acting....bring his game up and puit his heart into it...show everyoen he can do it......I didn't mean "serious" as in "opposite of fun"

Comment

Gotcha. In that case, I can't argue with you.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                          X