Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bleak! Who else loves a black-hearted flick with a cup of nihilism that runneth over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
    Emilio Fernandez's VICTIMAS DEL PECADO (1951) has the blackest heart of any film noir ever made. It's an abyss. A nihilistic abyss. Black on black and it has no bottom. Mothers throws babies in trash cans when the milk runs dry. It's also muy macho. Jump right in, Horace, if you have the guts.
    I ordered a used copy of this from Amazon Marketplace a couple of weeks ago, and a brand spanking new copy turned up on my doorstep on Saturday. I watched it yesterday and loved it - it's a very dark film. As a parent, the scenes of the child alone on the streets whilst his mother sits in jail for doing nothing more than protecting him got to me. It's also very bold in its depiction of prostitution, as compared with American films noir of the same period. What are your thoughts on the closing sequence, Richard. It seems like a non-sequitur, but on the other hand it could be bitterly ironic.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
    X