No announcement yet.

The Terminator Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might just be because I was feeling zonked out as a result of watching it mid-way through a long haul flight, but I remember thinking 'Genesys' had a few good ideas; the whole business of restaging scenes from the first two films from a different perspective, with new characters teleporting in to try to alter the course of events, was quite well done, and I liked the character of the cop who witnessed the events of the earlier movies and has subsequently seen his life & career ruined because he keeps insisting that killer robots from the future were responsible. Also, the big action scene with the bus on the Golden Gate Bridge was memorably ridiculous.

That said though, much of the rest of the film was absolute nonsense, so - *shrug*. I basically only watched it because I was curious to see what explanation they came up with for a T-800 getting old. Spoiler: it's a pretty disappointing one.
    https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
    http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I used to be a big fan of T3. My enthusiasm has started to wane a little in my last couple of viewings while my appreciation of T1 and T2 only grows (they started as all-time favorites and I only love them more each time). I really enjoy the way T3's story unfolds especially the ending. Some of the action scenes are epic (that car/crane chase). I also dig Kristanna Loken's TX. I didn't care for the casting of Claire Danes and Nick Stahl from my first viewing but the more I revisit T3, the more I dislike their characters. I also think it becomes more obvious upon each revisit that there is less substance. T3 is just spectacle with a Terminator veneer. That's not a problem with me, but it does chip away at my enjoyment of the film as time goes on and I experience more film. T3 is never going to be removed from my potential watch but I expect the time between revisits will grow more and more.

Its been awhile since I've revisited Terminator Salvation, but I'm going see it soon. I've been torn on it in the past.

Genesys is kinda meh

I liked Dark Fate the first time. I'll be interested to see how it holds up.

Comment

• The movies had nowhere to go after T2 lol. They put so much in SFX into that one, there was no way they were going to top that feeling of seeing it for the first time, watching Robert Patrick's melty metal body get melty before it got body again.

I didn't like 3 when I saw it, but warmed to it on a further visit.

The rest of them, outside of the one where they blow Furlong away, can suck it. And that one, only the part where they blow Furlong away.

Comment

• haven't seen any termintator movie after part 4. but I remember enjoying terminator 3 as a kid, haven't seen it since then.
          geez, kristanna loken what the fuck happened to her? I can still vividly picture her f̶a̶c̶e̶ boobs being on the cover of every monthly jerk-off mag back then...

Comment

• That's crazy - last night my wife and I were watching an episode of Beach Front Property Hunt and the couple on it had a son named Maxim and I said "...and their daughter, FHM."
            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

• I watched the first one with the girlfriend last night because she'd never seen it. It was enjoyed. Barely into it before she was saying "so this guy from the futures going to be the kids father right?" So the story was pulling no surprises. It's just a very well made movie though. What I'd forgotten was how much of a horror movie it is. The lame robot, dragging it's leg, seemingly moving at 2km an hour, somehow gaining on our leads through the final chase is straight out of Friday the13th or the like. The very elongated final action scene where the monster comes back not once, but twice is the first of its kind that I can think of and has to be as influential as anything.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• While T2 certainly has technical advances over the original, not to mention action beats, this is still the case where the first two films are a relative tie. And, with me, a Tie always goes to the original (see also LET THE RIGHT ONE IN "tying' LET ME IN

Comment

• We progressed to number 2 tonight which I hadn't seen for a long time. My feeling is, this one has not aged as well as the first. The effects are better, the story grander but there's a lot that borders on unintentionally funny.

"Now I know why you cry". "In an insane world it was the sanest choice". It's just a bit overwrought at times. Furlongs dialogue is often very uncool, a bit Pepsi Max! While Hamilton's is a bit too distraught. The 80s is the decade that Irony forgot and while tecnically T2 may be from the 90s, it's from 91 and the 80s is still there in force. I submit that time has not been entirely kind to this one.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I saw T2 on the big screen at the perfect age: 11. Pretty much the greatest thing ever at the time. I remember saying to one of my brother's older, wiser friends, "That was better than the original" to which he replied, "The original is a cult classic." I never forgot it.
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                      I saw T2 on the big screen at the perfect age: 11. Pretty much the greatest thing ever at the time. I remember saying to one of my brother's older, wiser friends, "That was better than the original" to which he replied, "The original is a cult classic." I never forgot it.
                      I was just turned 16 when I saw it. Blew me away. As Dom said, though, some of it is so lame. In any case, T2 would have been the perfect end to the franchise, but of course, somebody had to fuck wit it

Comment

• I was about 16 when I first saw T2,after having seen the original a pile of times. Went twice the first month it was out ot see it. But over the years I just gotten where I don't like it. Really wish the series had ended with the first film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                          We progressed to number 2 tonight which I hadn't seen for a long time. My feeling is, this one has not aged as well as the first. The effects are better, the story grander but there's a lot that borders on unintentionally funny.

"Now I know why you cry". "In an insane world it was the sanest choice". It's just a bit overwrought at times. Furlongs dialogue is often very uncool, a bit Pepsi Max! While Hamilton's is a bit too distraught. The 80s is the decade that Irony forgot and while tecnically T2 may be from the 90s, it's from 91 and the 80s is still there in force. I submit that time has not been entirely kind to this one.
                          Which cut did you watch? I can't stand watching the Director's Cut anymore and find the Theatrical has far less that I have to look past to enjoy the film. Most of Furlong's dialogue/moments are cringy and Linda Hamilton is a bit to over-the-top at times, but I still find Arnold and the T-1000 to be a real treat in the film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post

Which cut did you watch? I can't stand watching the Director's Cut anymore and find the Theatrical has far less that I have to look past to enjoy the film. Most of Furlong's dialogue/moments are cringy and Linda Hamilton is a bit to over-the-top at times, but I still find Arnold and the T-1000 to be a real treat in the film.
                            We were watching the original. Not sure if I've seen the Directors Cut... the terminators are indeed great. Arnold's often made a bit too cute but the T1000 is one of the great movie villians. This was my first time watching a HD copy on a big TV. The effects don't always hold viewed that way but it's fascinating to see the tricks the effects team are pulling with very limited tools. They get really sophisticated results out of very clever use of extremely basic tools.

Comment

• Probably already said this but I much prefer T1 to the sentimental T2.

Comment

• There's a listing up on a French website for a UHD release of the first movie, it would stand to reason that a domestic release is coming soon as well.

https://www.fnac.com/a20240526/The-T...Flm-Blu-ray-4K
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X