Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Releasing The Mexico Trilogy

Coming in August!

The Mexico Trilogy: 4 DISC COLLECTION (3 DISC BLURAY + DESPERADO 4K) LIMITED EDITION

DISC 1 - EL MARIACHI (BLU-RAY)

DISCS 2 & 3 - DESPERADO (BLU-RAY / 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)

DISC 4 - ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO (BLU-RAY)

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of all three films
    - 4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of Desperado
    - Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Carlos Aguilar and Nicholas Clement
    - Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
    - Double sided posters featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
    - Collectable poster featuring Robert Rodriguez’s original poster concept for El Mariachi

DISC 1 - EL MARIACHI (BLU-RAY)

- Original uncompressed Latin-American Spanish stereo audio, plus an English dub in lossless stereo
    - Optional English subtitles, plus English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    - Commentary by writer-director Robert Rodriguez
    - Big Vision Low Budget, a newly filmed interview with Rodriguez
    - The Original Mariachi, a newly filmed interview with producer/star Carlos Gallardo
    - The Music of ‘El Mariachi’, a newly produced featurette on the music in the film, featuring interviews with composers Eric Guthrie, Chris Knudson, Alvaro Rodriguez and Marc Trujillo
    - Ten Minute Film School, an archive featurette produced and narrated by Rodriguez
    - Bedhead, a 1991 short film by Rodriguez
    - Theatrical trailer and TV spot

DISCS 2 & 3 - DESPERADO (BLU-RAY / 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)

- New 4K restoration from the original camera negative by Sony Pictures
    - Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
    - Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    - Audio commentary by writer-director Robert Rodriguez
    - Lean and Mean, a newly filmed interview with Rodriguez
    - Shoot Like Crazy, a newly filmed interview with producer Bill Borden
    - Kill Count, a newly filmed interview with stunt coordinator Steve Davison
    - Lock and Load, a newly filmed interview with special effects coordinator Bob Shelley
    - Game Changer, a newly filmed appreciation by filmmaker Gareth Evans (The Raid)
    - Ten More Minutes: Anatomy of a Shootout, an archive featurette narrated by Rodriguez
    - Textless opening (“Morena de mi Corazón”)
    - Theatrical trailers

DISC 4 - ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO (BLU-RAY)

- Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround and 2.0 stereo audio
    - Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    - Commentary by writer-director Robert Rodriguez
    - The Revolution Will Be Digitized, a newly filmed interview with Rodriguez
    - Troublemaking, a newly filmed interview with visual effects editor Ethan Maniquis
    - Eight deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Rodriguez
    - Ten Minute Flick School, an archive featurette narrated by Rodriguez
    - Inside Troublemaker Studios, an archive featurette on Rodriguez’s studio in Austin
    - Ten Minute Cooking School, an archive featurette in which Rodriguez shows you how to cook Puerco Pibil
    - Film is Dead: An Evening with Robert Rodriguez, a presentation by the director given in 2003
    - The Anti-Hero’s Journey, an archive featurette on the arc of the Mariachi
    - The Good, the Bad and the Bloody: Inside KNB FX, an archive featurette on the film’s special effects
    - Theatrical trailers

Click image for larger version

Name:	447029425_966198645468047_712967313808837540_n.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	433379
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Tired of these partial UHD box sets from Arrow. Not going to buy this for the one UHD. I think they're fucking insane, surely everyone who likes these has them on Blu already? Are sane people going to pay for a boxset just to get one film (okay, ignore the Homegrown Horrors set I got just for Winterbeast)?

Hoping there'll be a standalone Desperado later. I can only imagine what El Mariachi would have looked like in 4k...

Edit: Ok, I'm a tit. I see Desperado is getting a standalone release. Fair play. I'll shut up.
    agent999
    Last edited by agent999; 05-30-2024, 12:35 PM.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

To be fair to Arrow, these are Sony titles and they do not let boutiques do their own transfers and Sony must have (wrongly) felt a 4K transfer for El Mariachi was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
        To be fair to Arrow, these are Sony titles and they do not let boutiques do their own transfers and Sony must have (wrongly) felt a 4K transfer for El Mariachi was worth it.
        Considering El Mariachi was shot on NTSC video, even a Blu version is dubious, but a 4K upscale of it would be a complete joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Considering El Mariachi was shot on NTSC video, even a Blu version is dubious, but a 4K upscale of it would be a complete joke.
          It was shot on film. Rodriguez prefers his original video edit picture quality, but it is transferred from film on the Blu Ray. It's insanely grainy so a 4k disc would be interesting.
          agent999
          Last edited by agent999; 06-03-2024, 12:26 AM.

Comment

He initially cut it on video, but when Sony bought the film they spent like $200,000 doing an actual post production on the film, including conforming the negative to the video cut. So, unless the negative is gone, Sony could have scanned it in 4K.

Comment

I remember when Arrow released cult titles that were sort of hard to find. Those were the days.
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                I remember when Arrow released cult titles that were sort of hard to find. Those were the days.
                They have to make up for the loss they make on all of those Nico Mastorakis titles that they had to buy just to get Island of Death!

Comment

Doesn't everyone buy all the Mastorakis titles? I sure did!
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

El Mariachi sucks (but IS interesting as a one time watch), Desperado rules! The third film I don't even remember... so, yeah. If they put out Desperado separately without the steelbook BS, I'll bite. I really love that film and it created my perma man crush on Antonio Banderas.
                    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

I'm not sure why he decided to conceive a fairly complex plot for the third one. Few people care. Same with Machete. I'm sure it was fulfilling as a filmmaker, but I just wanted more of the same.

I'd love Sin City in 4k, he couldn't go wrong with that material.

Comment

I liked the gag that the third film is really the fourth film in the series, but other than a few jokes, it was pretty meh. And the early digital photography did it no favors.

Comment

Someone should release Run, the HK rip off of Mariachi. I've got a VCD of it somewhere but those are hard to watch nowadays, especially on a nice modern TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                            He initially cut it on video, but when Sony bought the film they spent like $200,000 doing an actual post production on the film, including conforming the negative to the video cut. So, unless the negative is gone, Sony could have scanned it in 4K.
                            Ah, I had it mixed up in my memory. A 4K makes more sense then.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Ah, I had it mixed up in my memory. A 4K makes more sense then.
                              Not an issue. Some of the myth around the film and its ultra-low budget has kind of buried the part that Sony spent a lot of money doing proper post production on it after they bought it.

Comment

Working...
                              X