Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROGER CORMAN, RIP

RIP ROGER CORMAN.
    Had the pleasure of meeting him a few times including in his office (pictured).
    My condolences to his wife Julie and all his family and friends.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roger.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	432387

R.I.P.

Best film?

Comment

R.I.P. I like a lot of his films.

Originally posted by Randy G View Post

Best film?
      Pit and the Pendulum because it has Vincent Price and Barbara Steele with a screenplay by Richard Matheson.

Comment

R.I.P.

Best film?
        The Intruder
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

R.I.P.

Best film?
          The Masque of the Red Death
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Whether by design or cheapness he's responsible for the best generation of filmmaking that America has ever seen, and no slouch as a director himself. Whilst he excelled in many genres he was a master of the gothic and introduced the cinema to Lovecraft (albeit rather surreptitiously). He always came across as a likeable and cultured personality although I'm sure he was pretty ruthless behind the scenes.

Favourites: The Undead, Tower of London, The Raven, The Masque of the Red Death, The Pit and the Pendulum and The Haunted Palace.
            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

So sad to hear this this morning.

I know he had a great run, but I was really hoping he'd make it to 100 in a couple of years; in fact I was already vaguely planning a party of some kind to celebrate.

Far too much to go through re: the scope of his achievements and influence across the decades, but for now I'll just say that, whenever I hear that insipid phrase "live your best life", Corman is the person I think of.

I mean, I know he had some difficult moments in his career, and sometimes made some questionable decisions, but for the most part, whenever he put his hand to something, he aced it. He created an incredible body of work, had a vast influence on our culture, changed the face of cinema on all levels - whilst similtaneously making a shedload of money, living a rich and fulfilling life, and even (for the most part) playing fair and treating other people well.

That's a combo that I feel very few people in the entertainment industry have managed to achieve, and - though again, he didn't always manage it perfectly - the way he consistently found a way to square the circle between art and commerce is exemplary.

More than anything, what I love about the films he made as director is that, despite initially working in a field (low budget sci-fi/horror) which just about all other filmmakers at the time regarded as sub-normal junk, he never looked down on his audience and always took the work seriously, doing his best to deliver films which were well-written, smart, funny and explored unusual / intriguing ideas, in spite of their minimal resources. As a result, almost all of his early double feature quickies remain entertaining and worth a watch to this day, whilst the best of them hold up as classics.

And... I could continue in this vein for some time, so will save it for a longer obit at a later date, I suppose.

Best film as director?

A toss up between 'Masque of the Red Death' and 'A Bucket of Blood', I suppose.
              https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
              http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sad news. I will watch those Poe adaptations for the rest of my days. Another good one that hasn’t been mentioned yet is The Tomb of Ligia.
                https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

His Poe adaptations meant a lot to me. They, along with the original The Fly, were may gateway to horror as a 5-6 year old sitting on the couch with his grandfather and a bowl of popcorn.

I met him about 7 years ago at NYCC. They weren't allowing photos and he was only signing the poster for whatever new Deathrace movie was being released at the time. I brought my Shout! Factory Corman/Poe boxed set and my RNR Highschool Blu-rays not knowing he wasn't signing them or taking pictures. When I got to the front of the line I noticed security wasn't paying attention so I politely asked him if he'd sign the discs for me and let me take a quick picture. He kindly obliged at which point I completely geeked out, which is rare for me, and told him in a very loud voice "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, YOUR MOVIES CHANGED MY LIFE!" and I think he got a little freaked out by me, haha. He was very kind though.

RIP. Like Mr. Haggar says, he clearly had a great run but I was also hoping he'd hit 100.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

What a legacy. By sheer coincidence, I happened to watch The Wild Angels last night, but my favorite film of his as director is The Undead. RIP.

Comment

I could listen to him talk about the movie biz all day long. RIP.
                      The Raven is probably my favorite, with Pit & The Pendulum a close second.
                      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I'm a fan of Bucket of Blood but need to revisit his gothics, which I haven't seen since I was a teen.

Comment

As Ian previously commented, the entire Poe cycle was massively influential to me growing up, and a major contributing factor in me becoming fanatical about genre films. I second BW Haggar's comments above regarding Corman's attitude about pleasing his audience, without looking down on them. He was always laughing with them, not at them, regardless of what challenges he may have faced at bringing his vision to the screen.

He's made so many films that have impacted me, and that I return to regularly. I guess the 5 that stand out above the rest are The Intruder, Pit And The Pendulum, House Of Usher, Masque Of The Red Death, and Bucket Of Blood.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Night Corman small.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	432455

For no particular reason, here is a scan of a flyer for a series of Corman screenings I picked up in Tokyo in 2011.

Night Corman!
                            https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                            http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              He kindly obliged at which point I completely geeked out, which is rare for me, and told him in a very loud voice "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, YOUR MOVIES CHANGED MY LIFE!" and I think he got a little freaked out by me, haha. He was very kind though.
                              What a cool story!

Yeah, so sad to hear about Roger's passing away. I pulled out my old "Roger Corman's Cult Classics Triple Feature Sci-fi Classics" and rewatched the "A Salute To Roger Corman" doc. It's basically just people who got their start with him talking about him.

I agree on the Poe films. I first got introduced to them - and Corman - when the BBC screened all eight films all during 1990. They also made a two part doc entitled "The Curse of Corman". From then on I was a fan.

Rest in peace, Roger Corman. Thanks for the many, many, many films. :(

The Curse of Corman part one:

The Curse of Corman part two:

2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Working...
                              X