Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

Anyone else intrigued by this idea?

"When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes — a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) — who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind's last hope against the mounting apocalypse."

Del Toro is directing, the script is by Travis Beacham who did.... the Clash of the Titans remake. Ick.

But it's got Ron Perlman in in it and it's about giant robots fighting giant monsters.

It's not out until July 2013 but the hype machine has started.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

http://www.panpacificdefense.com/

Discussion panel!

One sheet!
    Attached Files
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I bet this film will be very popular in Japan!
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

It has the potential to be FANTASTIC!!!

ROBOT JOX lives!!!

But it's got Ron Perlman in in it and it's about giant robots fighting giant monsters.
      THIS ^^ is all you need to know!!

Comment

It's an intriguing concept but I will wait for the dvd if it looks like a CGI orgy.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

OK, so that's a 54 second shaky cam found footage nightmare BUT... if you're careful with the pause button and quick with the screen caps button... MONSTERS!
          Attached Files
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

An yes, I'm well aware of how dorky it was for me to do that, BUT.... MONSTERS!
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              It's an intriguing concept but I will wait for the dvd if it looks like a CGI orgy.
              While I definitely understand that impulse, del Toro is one of the very few contemporary directors that I have a lot of faith in. When you combine that with the fact that it is a movie about giant monsters AND giant robots...well, this will be the rare movie I'll see in theaters on opening day

Comment

Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post
                While I definitely understand that impulse, del Toro is one of the very few contemporary directors that I have a lot of faith in. When you combine that with the fact that it is a movie about giant monsters AND giant robots...well, this will be the rare movie I'll see in theaters on opening day
                EXACTLY.....and maybe it will be one of those VERY rare occasions where i might have to see it MORE than once in the theater.....I fear it will not be as impressive on the small screen.....

Hopefully this will set the bar high enough that other directors pull their fingers out and start doing better!

Comment

I'm up for it. I haven't seen a giant monster on the big screen since Godzilla 1985.
                  "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

ROBOTS!
                    Attached Files
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Del Toro's use of CGI and real effects is pretty unmatched in the big budget realm and he's a major talent so I'm looking forward to this, and hopefully he'll follow it up with another artful horror/fantasy film.

Comment

Del Toro is a pretty solid bet that this will be a good movie.....He is one of the ONLY big name director who won't water his stuff down...He has a big love of the kind of movies he does and is usually allowed his indulgences without much interference I think.......

Comment

Agreed. He has this awesome 'kid in a candy store' vibe to him that I really like. Dude is definitely a fan of a lot of the stuff that we all love. I have faith in him.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, Del Toro getting to do this means I'm all over it like another pair of shorts. About time we have a giant robot movie that isn't a fucking idiotic pile of crap and/or about the stupid Transformers.

And I hope he makes fuck-you levels of money so he can finally make At the Mountains of Madness the way he wants to.
                            It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Nolando View Post
                              And I hope he makes fuck-you levels of money so he can finally make At the Mountains of Madness the way he wants to.
                              Seconded.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X