Friedkin's Rampage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friedkin's Rampage

Kino are supposedly releasing Rampage on UHD. No idea which cut, but the version that the BBC used to show was very different to the UK VHS.

About bloody time.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Holy grail title for sure. This is a pretty cynical thought, but do you think this getting released had something to do with Friedkin's death? Was it being suppressed by the late director himself, for whatever reason?
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
      Holy grail title for sure. This is a pretty cynical thought, but do you think this getting released had something to do with Friedkin's death? Was it being suppressed by the late director himself, for whatever reason?
      I think he was pretty crushed about its delayed US release so it was something he wanted out there at the time. Maybe they just think it's economically viable now he's back in people's thoughts and The Exorcist has had a 50th anniversary. It could also be that he knew his time was coming so instigated a re-release.

Comment

I think I prefer your take.

Where did you originally read the news about the release?
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I think I prefer your take.

On Twitter, but it's now in the Kino thread on br.com.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Huzzah! I've missed this since I sold my laserdiscs! Dunno if it's Day 1, as Kino has been a tad dodgy, but pretty happy it's coming.

Comment

The only Friedkin I haven't seen.

Comment

I guess you're not Matt89 from br.com like I thought you were :-) I'm not on social media so I get most of my news from br.com. Whatever doesn't break on Twitter or fb breaks on that other site. That site's a dumpster fire but man is it entertaining lol.

Comment

I had read that it was a stalemate between Friedkin and the studio because he didn't want it out if they wouldn't release his cut, and the studio refused to release his cut, but that was way back in the 90s.
                  Darcy Parker
                  Last edited by Darcy Parker; 12-28-2023, 06:47 PM.

Comment

How is (the best cut of) the movie itself? Would it fall within a Friedkin Top 10?

Comment

Originally posted by ChicGandil View Post
                      How is (the best cut of) the movie itself? Would it fall within a Friedkin Top 10?
                      I found it above average Friedkin which definitely should have both versions available for the public to view instead of going the DVR route.
                      "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
                      -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
                      -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

Originally posted by ChicGandil View Post
                        I haven't seen it for over 25 years. I've seen reports that the difference is mostly in the ending, but when I saw it on TV I was very surprised about how different it was from the UK VHS so it's more than just that. It's a pretty subtle film for Friedkin, far more concerned with the legal process than the more lurid serial killer aspects. I'd rate it fairly high up his filmography as long as you don't go in expecting something flashy.

Comment

I've only seen the American VHS edit, but I liked it. I read about the differences of the two versions in "Video Watchdog" years ago. I'm interested in seeing the original edit. It'd be nice to see both edits released.

Comment

Working...
                          X