James Cameron's THE ABYSS Coming to 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Cameron's THE ABYSS Coming to 4K

Somehow I missed this announcement back in September. I haven't seen this film since I saw it theatrically, but I loved it back then. Bring on the Biehn!!!!

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/j...4k-1235738502/

Aliens too. Don't give a shit about True Lies. Hoping these aren't going to look like T2 does on UHD.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

THE ABYSS: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
      THEATRICAL VERSION AND SPECIAL EDITION VERSION

Street Date
      Digital: December 12, 2023
      Physical: March 12, 2024

BONUS FEATURES (NEW):

Deep Dive: A Conversation with James Cameron – An exclusive new sit-down with James Cameron as he revisits the origin of the project and addresses some of the myths behind the production.
      The Legacy of The Abyss – Discover the lasting legacy of The Abyss with stories from James Cameron and the crew about how and why the film continues to have an impact on filmmaking today.

ADDITIONAL BONUS:

Under Pressure: Making The Abyss – The original documentary about the infamous production of The Abyss, with candid commentary by the actors and crew.
      Archives
      Deepcore Timelapse – Watch this production timelapse of the Deepcore set being created.
      Videomatics Montage – Watch a montage of behind-the-scenes production videomatics.
      Montana Bridge Flooding – See behind-the-scenes footage of the Montana bridge flooding.
      Engine Room Flooding – See behind-the-scenes footage of the engine room flooding.
      Surface Shoot Montage – Watch a behind-the-scenes montage of the surface shoot.
      Crane Crash Shoot – Check out behind-the-scenes footage of the crane crashing sequence.
      Visual Effects Reel – Watch a reel of visual effects progressions to see how they were developed for the film.
      Miniature Rear-Projection – Watch behind-the-scenes footage of how production used rear-projection techniques on miniatures.
      Motion Control Timelapse – Watch this production timelapse of the motion control technology being used.
      Teaser Trailer
      Main Trailer
      Reviews Trailer
      Still Gallery – Presented here are extras as they appeared in the “Imaging Station” on the Special Edition DVD release of The Abyss, along with the trailers. Since their original presentation has been preserved, resolution and clarity will vary from element to element.

Click image for larger version

Name:	401605522_832621395492440_2565411114501253263_n.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	423347
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

T1 aside my favourite of Cameron's films and one I've wanted to revisit for quite a while. Was excited when Cameron made the announcement a few months ago at some festival.

Comment

I purchased the Amazon Prime stream and thought it looked fairly spectacular overall. Had a blast revisiting the film. I don't agree with those who are saying it looks too processed or digital - it does not IMO. Granted there are spots here and there where there's a slight dip in quality but I chalk that up to early CGI. This is how Cameron wants his legacy films to look - I can live with that.

Comment

I hope it still looks like film. The T2 UHD was taken from a master prepared for 3D, so I'm hoping that the grain removal was because of that, rather than wanting to make his films have a modern look.

Having said that, I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to grain. I have the original Optimum UK blu of T2 and the grain is so spiky in places it hurts. I'd like something between.
            agent999
            Last edited by agent999; 12-20-2023, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
              I hope it still looks like film. The T2 UHD was taken from a master prepared for 3D, so I'm hoping that the grain removal was because of that, rather than wanting to make his films have a modern look.

Having said that, I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to grain. I have the original Optimum UK blu of T2 and the grain is so spiky in places it hurts. I'd like something between.
              It's widely known that Cameron had nothing to do with T2 on 4K - that was all StudioCanal. SC used the scan that was meant for the new 3D version, possibly in error, for the 4K release. That scan was smoothed out on purpose specifically for that release. Hopefully Cameron will get to approve a fresh scan for a proper release next year.

Comment

So someone on Reddit says that Aliens is allegedly an AI upscale with fake HDR, however it seems that may be BS. Regardless, the consensus is that it no longer looks much like it was shot on film. But don't worry, Cameron is supposedly revisiting T2, so the current UHD may be fondly remembered in years to come...

I'll pick up The Abyss as I've heard for the most part that it looks good.
                agent999
                Last edited by agent999; 03-18-2024, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I've got The Abyss on order.

Comment

So, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ... these reissues are (to my eyes) a good chunk of what I/we feared. Most of the grain is gone, there are ridiculous digital artifacts (seen within the first 5 minutes in The Abyss), etc. I've only got True Lies left to watch, and it's the one I was most expecting to be hosed, so ... I won't be terribly disappointed with it, at least?

Whoever claimed an "AI upscale" was a complete moron -- the HDR is actually quite nice. The model work, which was top tier in its day, is not done any favors by the the cleanup job. Grain would've been Cameron's friend here, but he's incapable of not making it look "the best" in his eyes that he can. All IMHO, of course. You'll see for yourselves when you get around to watching it.

I'm gonna go watch my laserdiscs again. Even with the massive resolution difference, I imagine they will still have more authenticity than these 4Ks.

Comment

Originally posted by null View Post
                      So, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ... these reissues are (to my eyes) a good chunk of what I/we feared. Most of the grain is gone, there are ridiculous digital artifacts (seen within the first 5 minutes in The Abyss), etc. I've only got True Lies left to watch, and it's the one I was most expecting to be hosed, so ... I won't be terribly disappointed with it, at least?

Whoever claimed an "AI upscale" was a complete moron -- the HDR is actually quite nice. The model work, which was top tier in its day, is not done any favors by the the cleanup job. Grain would've been Cameron's friend here, but he's incapable of not making it look "the best" in his eyes that he can. All IMHO, of course. You'll see for yourselves when you get around to watching it.

I'm gonna go watch my laserdiscs again. Even with the massive resolution difference, I imagine they will still have more authenticity than these 4Ks.
                      The Special Edition laserdisc version of Aliens shows that James Cameron is a complete moron when it comes to picture quality, and he just keeps reinforcing that with every shit transfer he approves.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

The Special Edition laserdisc version of Aliens shows that James Cameron is a complete moron when it comes to picture quality, and he just keeps reinforcing that with every shit transfer he approves.
                        Well .. that's an opinion, I guess. I don't agree, but it's the only way I had to watch the movie until the Quadrilogy box came out in '99, so almost 10 years. That means I've seen it, likely, 5 or more times. I guess I'd only really differ in the start point of the, uh, improvements. I think they started with the DVD, you think the laserdisc. Tomato, tomatoe. I think we can both agree the VHS sucked?

editL horrific grammer sux

Comment

I've seen some screengrabs of True Lies that looked pretty terrible but I'm not a fan of the film so it didn't concern me much.

Comment

I recently found the Abyss 'special edition' DVD which doesn't look great but maybe I can use as a point of comparison to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                              I recently found the Abyss 'special edition' DVD which doesn't look great but maybe I can use as a point of comparison to some degree.
                              My recollection, and I haven't watched in a minute (even tho I have it), is that it was one of the Van Ling remasters, so ... yeah. It's not good. Same problems as the 4K, but 20 years older technology doing the "improving."

Like I said ... I'll stick with the SE laserdisc.

K. I'm gonna go yell at some clouds now. </s>

Comment

Working...
                              X