The Banshees of Inisheren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Banshees of Inisheren

Finally got around to this last night and I really enjoyed it. I think the trailer accurately depicted what it is about so if anyone is interested in seeing this film, check out the trailer.

I thought it was well written, well choreographed, and well acted. While I made the obvious connection between the war and the dynamic between the two main characters, I'm sure I missed some of the underlying metaphors throughout. More than anything, this film had a lot of feeling. It was also interesting to see how Colin Farrell's character developed throughout the story.

Two side thoughts:
    * It was neat that the actress who played Siobhan was Mike's daughter from Better Call Saul
    * Because of the setting, I kept waiting Father Dougal to show up.

Overall I'd highly recommend it.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Two women in a general store: Ever hear the one about the two best friends who got in a feud years and years ago?! Such a row! One could imagine such a conversation taking place on the (fictional) Isle of Inisherin today. Back in 1923, the pair, Padraic (Colin Farrell) and Colm (Brendan Gleeson) are drinking buddies. Every afternoon after he's attended to his flock of animals, Padraic comes around Colm's humble home near the coast and they head to the local pub. That is, until one day when Colm decides he's heard enough of his friend's stories and just wants to be left alone with his fiddle, which completely flummoxes his pal. Padraic lives with his spinster sister, Siobhan (Kerry Condon), who unlike her brother, is well read and curious of the outside world. Unable to keep his mouth shut, Padraic only antagonizes Colm further and further until it's a full on feud.

Inisherin is just off the Irish coast, so close, that the locals can see and hear the sounds of battle raging during the mainland's civil war. The people of Inisherin enjoy being on an island to themselves, even if that isolation is as much of a burden as a benefit. The local half-wit, Dominic (Barry Keoghan) is abused by his father (Gary Lydon), who happens to also be the only cop around. The local Priest (David Pearse) can be as foul-mouthed as his Parishioners. Lurking around the fringes of the land is a real life Banshee in the form of Mrs. McCormick who is always spreading her gloom and doom about town.

Writer-Director Martin McDonagh writes sharp dialogue, often tinged with a caustic humor. As with IN BRUGES and THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING MISSOURI, that wit presages darker turns. The Irish Civil War is clearly used as a metaphor for the feud. Colm searches for more meaning in his life through music, while Padraic is content with leading his simple existence. They are like brothers, but, the friction only grows. It's “war”.

Farrell and Gleeson are very good here. Their real life friendship adds all the more realism to the battle of wills that ensues. Condon is in many ways the conscience of the movie. She loves her brother and Inisherin, but, she too needs more out of life. As fine as all the cast is, McDonagh never quite manages to fully explore his symbolism. The pub is sparsely attended, and most of the other locals only seem to interact when its convenient for the story to do so. One never gets a true sense of community. And, in that vacuum, the Padriac-Colm skirmish comes off as bitter if not outright nasty - it ends up feeling more mean than meaningful. McDonagh is trying to exposie a dark hole in the soul of the Irish people, but can't quite bring it off. Still, it's hard to criticize a movie for ambition, especially one as well-crafted and performed as THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
      As fine as all the cast is, McDonagh never quite manages to fully explore his symbolism. The pub is sparsely attended, and most of the other locals only seem to interact when its convenient for the story to do so. One never gets a true sense of community. And, in that vacuum, the Padriac-Colm skirmish comes off as bitter if not outright nasty - it ends up feeling more mean than meaningful.
      I think he succeded in what he was out to do. To me this is just a quiet little mediation on human bloody mindedness and hatred.

It's a harsh film and a hard watch. Can't say I enjoyed it that much, more a film that commands respect and a bit of rumination afterwards.

And yes, those accents, that scenery, where was Father Dougal?
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I think he succeded in what he was out to do. To me this is just a quiet little mediation on human bloody mindedness and hatred...
        I do come out as a thumbs up. But, it is flawed. Still, it was the best of the English language films nominated for Best Picture at this year's Oscars.

Comment

Loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post

I do come out as a thumbs up. But, it is flawed. Still, it was the best of the English language films nominated for Best Picture at this year's Oscars.
            I thought TAR was a superior film, but I liked BANSHEES a lot. It has some amazing shots of various animals (loved the dog with shears in his mouth and the horse looking through the window). On his podcast, Joe Dante thought the "finger" thing was ridiculous and sort of ruined the movie for him. I can see where he's coming from, but McDonagh has always included fantastical elements in his films.
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Yes, donkeys are herbivores. Also, how did they get a chance to correspond by letter during that timeframe? Loved the film though.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                Yes, donkeys are herbivores. Also, how did they get a chance to correspond by letter during that timeframe? Loved the film though.
                He actually thought everything to do with the fingers was ridiculous.
                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

He actually thought everything to do with the fingers was ridiculous.
                  I thought it worked fine as part of the rather heavy handed (lighter without fingers) metaphor for the civil war.
                  I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Working...
                  X