X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kino Releasing Bad Lieutenant On UHD

Coming Soon on 4KUHD and Blu-ray!

Brand New 2023 HDR/Dolby Vision Master!

Bad Lieutenant (1992) Starring Harvey Keitel, Victor Argo, Paul Calderon & Zoë Lund – Shot by Ken Kelsch (The Funeral) – Music by Joe Delia (Body Snatchers) – Written by Zoë Lund & Abel Ferrara – Directed by Abel Ferrara (Ms. 45, Fear City, King of New York, Pasolini).
    Film Independent Spirit Award Winner: Best Actor (Keitel)

Click image for larger version

Name:	331920809_2496904630611011_6940048522340417169_n.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	409929
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Assuming the worst regarding the soundtrack. I only saw it with the original music at the cinema, but I still find the substitutions annoying (with the exception of the end credits).
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I'm sure I can look it up, but has it just been a situation where the Led Zeppelin people flat out refuse to let anyone use "Signifyin' Rapper" or is it a case where the studio doesn't feel like it's worth it to shell out the money to be able to put it back in? The song doesn't use an actual sample - there's a live band performing the chord progression on the track - but there's a video up on Youtube featuring the song and it's been up for 14 years, although presumably demonetized. I don't know if it's available on streaming services.

I feel like a very early VHS version had the track in it, but I could be wrong. Is it a case where once Ferrera substituted his song in there he said fuck it and has never attempted to go back to the Schoolly D song?
      Toyboy
      like a hole in the head
      Last edited by Toyboy; 02-20-2023, 08:25 PM.
      Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
        I feel like a very early VHS version had the track in it, but I could be wrong. Is it a case where once Ferrera substituted his song in there he said fuck it and has never attempted to go back to the Schoolly D song?
        I have a copy of the original VHS and it has the track. It's played twice, just the riff during the rape scene (could this be a reason why LZ refuses to license it?) and most of the song as Harvey walks to the hospital to meet the nun. I think the rape scene is just as disturbing in the cut version where it's just generic church organ music in the background.

Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

I have a copy of the original VHS and it has the track. It's played twice, just the riff during the rape scene (could this be a reason why LZ refuses to license it?) and most of the song as Harvey walks to the hospital to meet the nun. I think the rape scene is just as disturbing in the cut version where it's just generic church organ music in the background.
          I thought it was on the end credits too? Perhaps I'm mis-remembering, but I thought that the Bad Lt song was a substitution. Due to its lengthy delay coming out on VHS in the UK (because, in their infinite snobbery, the BBFC allowed it uncut for cinema but thought that home viewers would want to learn how to shoot up heroin from it - you couldn't make that shit up) the UK tape already had the music substitutions. Can't believe it's 30 years ago that I saw this at the flicks (at my favourite long-since defunct sleaze pit at Piccadilly Circus where I also saw La Bete. Sadly not the same cinema from American Werewolf).
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I seem to recall the end credits having no music. We both need to watch it again!

Comment

Pretty sure there's no music at the end, just the sound of the street. I have this on DVD, miss the Schooly D track which was very memorable when I first saw this in a theatre.

Comment

I just put the uncut tape on and the track does indeed play again during the end credits. On a sadder note, my tape looks pretty much pooched (I'm hoping it's just the VCR that's dirty).

Comment

To quote MichaelB over at Criterion Forum:
                  I’ve just done a bit more digging and it seems that Jimmy Page’s refusal to license the relevant sample is most likely connected to personally abusive comments that Abel Ferrara made about him during the original copyright kerfuffle - the evidence being that Page has subsequently licensed the same sample elsewhere.

And if that’s the case, the original version of Bad Lieutenant isn’t going to be reissued legally within Page’s lifetime (as an absolute minimum).
                  Ferrara's certainly never been one to mince words about anything and he's made his opinion pretty clear over the years.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	EnoUuieXYAMVkhF.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	409994

At least there are bootlegs floating around out there with the original soundtrack synced to the Blu-Ray, and I'm sure someone will eventually create something similar for the 4K, but it fucking sucks that all official releases are inevitably compromised.

Comment

Led Zeppelin refuses to allow the School D track to be used because he never cleared the sample and they were unwilling to negotiate a clearance for any samples of their music. The song was deleted from subsequent pressings of the album it appeared on, and it was Zep's lawyers that demanded the track be removed from Bad Lieutenant. It won't ever be restored, because Jimmy Page is a massive dick. He even told the makers of the Rock Band video games that he would consider licensing Led Zeppelin songs for use, but at 10 times what even The Beatles charged, and he would not, under any circumstances, allow the master stems to be used, which would have made it impossible for the songs to be used in the game on a technical level.

Comment

As I'm sure everyone is aware, Led Zep and their management have a very long history of being absolute arseholes when it comes to issues like this -- eg, threatening to sue the makers of 'Phantom of the Paradise' back in the mid '70s for daring to call the fictional record company in the film 'Swan Song', meaning that to this day that movie can only be seen with reframed shots and weird, pre-digital black boxes painted onto footage to obscure the offending logo. Absolute nonsense.
                      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                        The song was deleted from subsequent pressings of the album it appeared on
                        Ha, I've got it on cassette (it's called Smoke Some Kill) with that track on it. Fuck you two times Led Zeppelin!

Comment

Ha, I've got it on cassette (it's called Smoke Some Kill) with that track on it. Fuck you two times Led Zeppelin!
                          My friend managed to snag a copy from a third-party Amazon seller in 2020, $300 in mint condition, genuine disc, not a bootleg. He is considering buying a fireproof safe to store it in.

Comment

Working...
                          X