No announcement yet.

‘Dead of Winter’ (1987) - Arthur Penn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Dead of Winter’ (1987) - Arthur Penn.

Much admired filmmaker, Arthur Penn's glacial, immaculately plotted 80s thriller, 'Dead of Winter' (1987) has more twisted turns than a cat's agitated intestines, and fiendishly delivers a plethora of nerve-splitting shocks, with more scalp-twitching suspense than a hat full of pregnant spiders! A splendidly malevolent, Hitchcockian neo-noir nightmare loosely based on the classic 1945 thriller, 'My Name is Julia Ross', wherein aspiring actress, Julie Rose (Mary Steenburgen) successfully auditions for the exquisitely mysterious, Mr. Murray (Roddy McDowall) and is very soon thereafter deliriously swept up in a frosty maelstrom of diabolical deceit, invidious, reality warping intrigue and cold-hearted murder, all coolly masterminded by one of cult cinema's grossly neglected Machiavellian fiends, the fascinatingly despicable, Dr. Joseph Lewis, perfectly performed with a barely repressed maniacal glee by the enormously enigmatic Czech/Canadian actor, Jan Rubeš!

Darkly shaded with the devious duplicity of vintage, De Palma, Arthur Penn's wonderfully mean-spirited thriller, 'Dead of Winter' has much to recommend it, the handsome photography by lauded cameraman, Jan Weincke is a true movable feast for the senses, and another glistering highpoint being the rousing, pulse-pounding score by, Richard 'The Prowler' Einhorn, while I am loath to say old-fashioned, as it erroneously infers the entirely false impression of filmic fustiness, when I mean in the sublimest sense of watching a true master filmmaker at work, much like a, Robert Wise or fellow genre craftsman, Don Siegel, the viewer's interest is rigorously maintained throughout by expertly deceitful hands! If you especially relish slickly fashioned, obsidian dark thrillers with a razor-edged core, the deliciously black-hearted 'Dead of Night' will curdle the very marrow in your bones!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	779.2 KB
ID:	407104

Love this film. Haven't seen it in years.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Big Penn fan but haven't caught this one.

Comment

It's really good, but I think MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS is even better.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
        X