No announcement yet.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if their strategy is to make this deliberatly bad, so as to make part 4 seem less awful.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Oh how they scoffed! Indy debuts to a 5 minute standing ovation.

Has anyone ever actually seen a 5 minute standing ovation before? You read this all the time for movies and I can't visualise how it would work. People are literally standing there clapping their hands for 5 minutes? Wouldn't their hands get sore? I just dont think I can get that excited about anything. The invention of electricity? If I was present for the switch being thrown I could go maybe 30 seconds. After that it feels a bit redundant.

Anyway.... get excited.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ge-1235494757/
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Ah, those zany French! They'll clap anything at Cannes if the stars and director are there. Not looking so good on Rotten Tomatoes after eight pro reviws at 50%.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Review: Harrison Ford Cracks the Whip One Last Time in a Final Chapter Short on Both Thrills and Fun

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-1235495914/#!

Not holding much hope for it. Wish Indy was just recast but still set in the 1920s-40s.
            Oily Maniac
            Last edited by Oily Maniac; 05-19-2023, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
              Ah, those zany French! They'll clap anything at Cannes if the stars and director are there.
              killers of the flower moon just got a 9 minute standing ovation and so, by my maths, must be 80% better. Imagine clapping your hands for 9 minutes...
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Because I has no choice, I went and saw this. And to my surprise, it wasn't half bad. Of course it doesn't stand a chance against the original films, but it is infinitely better then Crystal Skull.

Despite starring the antichrist herself and having that hazy somewhat unfocused photography in all the action sequences due to CGI, the film worked. I felt very entertained. Also, our beloved Mads Mikkelsen is perfect as a nazi. And I liked seeing John Rhys-Davies again, even if he looked really worn and skinny. I like my John Rhys-Davies fat.
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I wish I could be as positive. Saw it on Saturday.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (USA, 2023) [DCP] – 1.5/5
                  Colossally disappointing follow-up to three of the best (the fourth one was thankfully never made) adventure movies of all time. It’s so bad that the opening CGI fest where Harrison Ford has been digitally de-aged is actually the least of the film’s problems. Gone is all the wonder and suspense, religious myths, exoticism and risqué violence, and the cockiness of its protagonist, replaced by by-the-numbers dullness served in an excessively digital looking package. Gone is also Indy’s son, replaced by an even more annoying god-daughter character Ford has zero chemistry with. The old man himself sleepwalks through the film and looks very old. Okay, he is old but sadly the film doesn’t do anything meaningful with that fact: there are no funny gags let alone anything more sophisticated like old Indy having to come up with an alternative plan of action due to being past his prime. Speaking of action, there is not a single inspired or exiting action beat in the entire film, nor a joke that would make one laugh. Any remotely good bits are recycled from the old films, with dozens of familiar moments especially from The Last Crusade remade here in a slightly different context but without the old magic. Any characters who aren’t familiar from the old films are mere substitutes for missing old characters, e.g. Mads Mikkelsen’s duller than dishwater Nazi villain, Indy’s god-daughter substituting for his father, and even a new Short Round. And then there's the titular item, the dial of something that they forget to mystify or make meaningful in any way. What’s good then? Well, it’s still Indy on screen. And the ending, as dumb as it is, is at least of some interest.

Comment

Words going around that this actually cost 320 million. If true the box office losses on this are going to put a noticeable dent on Disneys bottom line. Maybe even 9 figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Oily Maniac View Post

‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Review: Harrison Ford Cracks the Whip One Last Time in a Final Chapter Short on Both Thrills and Fun

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-1235495914/#!

Not holding much hope for it. Wish Indy was just recast but still set in the 1920s-40s.
                      We can all thank River Phoenix for fucking THAT up for the world.

Comment

I ended up ejoying this more than I thought that I would. It's badly paced and downright stupid, and that ending made no sense. But Ford was fun to watch. I enjoyed it slightly more than the previous one, which isn't saying that much.

Comment

I probably preferred the 4th one over the new one. The 4th does have those diabolical, physics defying cgi monstrosities but it does clock in a good half hour shorter and I just got more laughs from it.

Comment

I popped this in not expecting much but I was actually entertained by most of it. Actually, all of it, beginning with the familiar font of the first two films (maybe all three?) for the opening credits, something which immediately drew me in, as silly as that sounds. The train sequence was thrilling IMO and I wasn't too bothered by the CGI, which I thought would be really bad. There's no denying that there's a very obvious digital feel to everything but I chalk that up to cost cutting at the studio level and Ford's age. Ford obviously can't be running around real locations getting hurt. And, my goodness, the guy really did look old in this. A lot of people may someday end up calling this the geriatric Indy movie. Gotta give Ford a lot of credit for donning the hat and whip one last time at his age.

The time travel stuff? Don't ask, lol, but I still found that very interesting and fun. I think I enjoyed this movie a little too much :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Trench View Post
                              There's no denying that there's a very obvious digital feel to everything but I chalk that up to cost cutting at the studio level )
                              The budget on this is said to be $300,000,000 so I can't think there was too much cost cutting. I didn't have an issue with any specific CGI in this, but there's just an unreality that comes with films at this budget point. They have to look like they cost $300 million or people are going to ask where the money went. As such they don't look anything like the real world and that makes them less interesting. I thought the CGI de-aging of Harrisson was very well done. It would prehaps have been more fun to do most of the movie with young Indy, maybe with old Indy narrating it or something. He could be doing a tour of a history museum and telling incredibly bored students wild tales of how he got the relics and they care not a jot. I'd watch that, but then I watched this so, you know?

$300 million is a lot to spend on a movie. I'm hoping with the incredible string of failures we saw this year at that budget point that we see a lowering of budgets in future. The Creator did a blockbuster movie at $80 million dollars and by all accounts looks a treat. Then again, that bombed too. I hear the new Godzilla cost $20 million, looks great and is cleaning up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                                I hear the new Godzilla cost $20 million, looks great and is cleaning up.
                                It's an interesting comparison. I think Toho have reverence for their property and a unified purpse. By all accounts they've managed to shame those US Legendary efforts. Disney just seem very complacent and directionless, they can't sustain this meandering cycle of reshoots model for much longer. Guardians 3 was their only money maker this year, and they lose the copyright on the Steamboat Willy incarnation of Mickey Mouse next year. I'm not sure if they have anything they can pull out of the bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X