RIP George Barry (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP George Barry (Merged)

Oh man, Cult Epics are reporting that George Barry has passed. Can't fucking believe it...
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

What? Oh fuck no....
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Oh no, this one hurts a lot. The nicest guy you could ever interact with. I still have a Christmas card he sent me some time ago. He was always just such a pleasant and seriously friendly guy.

I've known him online for close to 20 years. He first reached out to me back in the AVM/DVDM days after I wrote up a piece on Death Bed just to thank me for taking the time to do it.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Nothing but nice things to say about the guy. Damn, this stinks.

Comment

Oh man. It just keeps getting worse. RIP George. You were one of the good guys.
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Oh no. This is so horrible. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met online. Out of the blue he sent me an autographed BD of DEATH BED. One of the treasures of my collection. So loved him talking to Stephen Thrower on an extra on some disc that I can't recall at the moment. RIP to an extraordinary man. Feel so sad for his family.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Sad. He was a nice guy. Always chuckled that he referred to everyone as "kids."
              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I'm devastated. George was a close, dear friend of mine. Stephen Thrower just told me of his passing. I had an email in my inbox from George from a couple days ago that I had yet to respond to. He lived just 40 minutes away, here in Michigan, and I'd meant to go see him soon. I knew he wasn't well but this was still unexpected. He was a warm, smart, erudite man; he loved books and had a voluminous collection of them. He talked to me of Russ Meyer films for hours. I'm going to miss him so fucking much. Love you, George.

Comment

Like everyone else, I'm incredibly sad to hear this news.

Ever since I registered here and noticed George was posting, I'd been meaning to drop him a line to let him know how much I love 'Death Bed', but couldn't find a way to phrase it that wouldn't sound gushing or awkward, so just thought 'oh well, an opportunity will arise some time'. Now of course I'm gutted that I didn't just get on with it, however little random praise from one more person on the internet might have meant.

I can't claim to know much about him as a person, but he came across as an incredibly nice and interesting guy in the features included on the blu-ray, and via the chapter on him in 'Nightmare USA'. Based on his posts here, he was still in good humour, engaging with culture and enjoying movies right to the end - which is definitely something to aspire to. RIP.
                  https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                  http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                    I've known him online for close to 20 years. He first reached out to me back in the AVM/DVDM days after I wrote up a piece on Death Bed just to thank me for taking the time to do it.
                    I had a similar experience. It was 2004, I had just watched the DVD release of Death Bed and written a short review of it on a now long-gone forum called the Creature Corner, praising the film for its originality, weirdness and a dreamlike atmosphere I compared to the works of Jean Rollin. The next day, I was beyond surprised to find a personal message from the film's director in my inbox thanking me for my review and offering to forward me a short article ("George Barry on Death Bed: The Bed That Eats") he had written for a book (or magazine?) about making the film. To this day, receiving that PM remains one of the nicest things that ever happened to me on the internet and I will never forget it. RIP, George!

Comment

Sad to hear this. Saw him post around here a lot and always appreciated his presence. Like BW Haggar above, I always meant to extend my gratitude to the man, but always resisted for some unfathomable reason. Death Bed is a real favourite with me and, like others have mentioned, an almost perfect evocation of a dream-state/nightmare that one could wish to see. R.I.P George.

Comment

I still am absolutely gutted by this. My memory is for shit now, but I think I wrote a post at AVM after watching the dvd and George pmd me and asked for my address. He then sent me the BD. I hope he knew how much he was respected around here. It is like losing a family member.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Yeah, definitely a hard one. I very much enjoyed his posts and it's very cool hearing about everyone's good experiences with him. RIP

Comment

Very sorry to have missed this. Only had a couple of interactions with George, and he was a great guy. Rest well, buddy.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

This is Darcy Barry, George Barry's daughter. I signed up for an account on Rock Shock Pop but it doesn't look like it's been approved yet so I'm using my Dad's account at this time. I just want to thank everyone for their memories and kind words, it means a lot to my brother and I. Although my Dad's health had been fragile for some time, his passing has come as a terrible shock to us. There is a vast and terrible void without him. Dad was in good spirits and was looking forward to the holidays. Our last conversation, just a few hours prior to finding him in his home, involved the Resident Evil TV series (he hadn't watched it but was asking about it) and looking forward to the three of us (myself, my brother Sean and my husband Dave) coming by later. We always ended our conversations with an "I love you."

My Dad requested that when he passed away we submit a post on Rock Shock Pop to let you guys know. I'm sorry for the delay as this has been a lot to process. Even as I write this, sitting here at my Dad's computer, none of this feels real. The day he passed, he still had active tabs on the computer. Amazon, IMDB, e-mail, and Rock Shock Pop.

I would like to wish everyone a Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. I'll probably find myself on this board from time to time as being here makes me feel closer to Dad.

With Love and Gratitude,
                              Darcy, Sean and Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X