Dialing for Dingbats (1989)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialing for Dingbats (1989)

One of my favorite movies. I don't believe there's an official DVD release of this yet. I monitored USA Up All Night for a year in the '90s to record this on VHS. Later, I transferred the VHS to DVD. A couple years ago, copies were scarce, and the DVD I had got me invited to PTP and some other sites. Think it's quite available now; it's probably on YT. I have yet to see the not-cut-for-TV version, which I believe has a couple nude scenes. Though garbage, this movie has a particular vibe I really enjoy. It's like bargain-bin surrealism or something. Reminds me of video-stores and 900 numbers, satellite dishes and cable. I often watch it with Terrorvision (1986) or Remote Control (1988)...

This is on YouTube. It's actually the original USA Up All Night broadcast. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
      This is on YouTube. It's actually the original USA Up All Night broadcast. Thanks for the recommendation!
      If you like USA Up All Night fare, you should enjoy it. And it's quite fun to watch the original broadcast because of those fantastic '90s commercials.

Comment

I'm usually pretty confident with Troma pickups; they've always had a good sense when it comes to offbeat and unusual stuff.

Comment

Brett Taylor reviewed this in Shock Cinema #62. I like how he sums it up:

"If movies like TOP GUN represented the supposedly cool side of the eighties, then DIALING... FOR DINGBATS! pulls you into a hairgel whirlpool of coke-era dorkiness. It gives you the feeling of being trapped in the food court of a New Jersey mall for 81 minutes, surrounded by people with clothes that ought to be burned and haircuts you'd prefer not to look at."

Comment

Still need to see this, learned about it from this thread. Maybe this weekend...

Comment

Working...
            X