Reservoir Dogs Coming To UHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reservoir Dogs Coming To UHD

Regardless of how you feel on the movie, you've got to appreciate the steelbook/slipcover art for the Best Buy exclusive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reservo...?skuId=6521312

Click image for larger version

Name:	308340536_1766341827042362_7889198609479664983_n.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	400873
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The film is a classic (as were all his first three, before the egotistical rot set in), but the slip cover is a bit gimmicky in my opinion. But then again, I own the petrol can edition.

Reminds me of the time it was on a double bill with Blue Velvet at the Prince Charles many years ago. The tagline was (along the lines of) 'if you're going to lose one ear, why not lose both...'
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Jesus Christ, the steelbook is the only option so far in the UK and they want 35 quid for it! Now I know how it feels to be Canadian.
      agent999
      Last edited by agent999; 09-22-2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        Regardless of how you feel on the movie
        There are people here who do not love this movie? Say it ain't so! One of the best debuts of all time. I have no time for anyone who runs the line that it's all lifted from other movies. There's bits and pieces from other movies here and there but the overall effect is of a very original film experience. No other film has the cadence of Reservoir Dogs.

That said, that's a bloody awful cover.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Personally I like it quite a bit, but I understand why people think it's a rip off of City On Fire and that QT should have been honest about taking from it. But I have no problem putting that aside and enjoying the movie on its own merits. FWIW, I enjoy most of his movies, though Jackie Brown is probably the only one I genuinely love.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

For me, the turning point was Kill Bill. Before that, he was taking elements from genre films and improving on them (even City on Fire), but then he started to make films with lesser impact than the genre films he was referencing + adding a tonne of bloat. He also started acting like he was fucking Shakespeare with none of his recent work being able to back him up on his inflated opinion of his own abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              but I understand why people think it's a rip off of City On Fire and that QT should have been honest about taking from it.
              I never really understood that criticism. The similarities are relatively minor. However, the Japanese film Blood and Diamonds (血とダイヤモンド) (1964) is a whole different tale. Or, the exact same tale in fact. The entire plot from start to finish is the same as in Reservoir Dogs.

Blood and Diamonds is about a group of criminals who get together for a diamond heist (SPOILERS AHEAD). The heist goes wrong and one of the members gets shot in the stomach. They hide in a war time bomb shelter, including the shot man who keeps bleeding throughout the film, where the criminals start arguing amongst themselves. Near the end one of the criminals in revealed to be an undercover cop. Then there is a shoot-out at the end as the police surround the bomb shelter.
              - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162240/reference/

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post

I never really understood that criticism. The similarities are relatively minor. However, the Japanese film Blood and Diamonds (血とダイヤモンド) (1964) is a whole different tale. Or, the exact same tale in fact. The entire plot from start to finish is the same as in Reservoir Dogs.

Blood and Diamonds is about a group of criminals who get together for a diamond heist (SPOILERS AHEAD). The heist goes wrong and one of the members gets shot in the stomach. They hide in a war time bomb shelter, including the shot man who keeps bleeding throughout the film, where the criminals start arguing amongst themselves. Near the end one of the criminals in revealed to be an undercover cop. Then there is a shoot-out at the end as the police surround the bomb shelter.
                - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162240/reference/
                Sounds like Blood and Diamonds is worth tracking down.

I like Reservoir Dogs. I have to admit, I did LOVE it when it came out, but that was because I didn't really know much about film at the time, and just thought that QT was a damn genius. I do still enjoy watching it, though. Like Ian, Jackie Brown is the one film of his that I go back to over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                  Jackie Brown is the one film of his that I go back to over and over again.
                  I need to talk to my therapist about the visceral gut reaction I have to people's love of JACKIE BROWN. It genuinely causes gastro-intestinal distress in me, followed by thoughts of "Should I try watching JACKIE BROWN again and see if maybe I'm missing something?" followed by thoughts of Samuel Jackson and Robert DeNiro sitting on a couch watching TV followed by more GI problems. It's the same feeling I get when I hear people refer to pizza as "Za"
                  Toyboy
                  like a hole in the head
                  Last edited by Toyboy; 09-23-2022, 11:58 AM.
                  Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

I wrote a review of Reservoir Dogs in my high school paper. So yeah I'm still a fan. Agree though that JB is his best film. I find it endlessly rewatchable as well, very chill.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post

I need to talk to my therapist about the visceral gut reaction I have to people's love of JACKIE BROWN. It genuinely causes gastro-intestinal distress in me, followed by thoughts of "Should I try watching JACKIE BROWN again and see if maybe I'm missing something?" followed by thoughts of Samuel Jackson and Robert DeNiro sitting on a couch watching TV followed by more GI problems. It's the same feeling I get when I hear people refer to pizza as "Za"
                      Was just having the identical conversation with a buddy of mine who is a huge film fan. I told him, "You are saying the same thing that I was saying (the same thing that you're saying now, Matt)", and I lent him the blu-ray. He returned it a week later, shrugged, and said, "fuck, would have rather known that years ago so that I could have watched it a few more times, great film." It's got it's flaws, for sure, but having some great source material to stick to really kept Tarantino on a bit of a leash.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

Was just having the identical conversation with a buddy of mine who is a huge film fan. I told him, "You are saying the same thing that I was saying (the same thing that you're saying now, Matt)", and I lent him the blu-ray. He returned it a week later, shrugged, and said, "fuck, would have rather known that years ago so that I could have watched it a few more times, great film." It's got it's flaws, for sure, but having some great source material to stick to really kept Tarantino on a bit of a leash.
                        I think that often times I take a love for JACKIE BROWN as being indicative of a general distaste for QT as a whole, which I get for the most part. The problem with that take for me is that if the person is actually a Tarantino fan it would be like someone saying that their favorite Beastie Boys record was The Mix-Up: decent enough album but at the end of the day anyone who says that is also saying it's a stronger effort than Paul's Boutique, which would be madness. If that crazy person then admitted "I really just can't stand their voices" I'd understand that we live in two separate musical universes and wouldn't try to change their mind in anyway. On the other hand, if that same individual said they actually liked the Beastie's hip hop stuff I'd be more likely to want to argue the point.

By that same criteria I would believe that if someone didn't care for Tarantino's films generally that it would make total sense for them to gravitate to JB, but it would put them in the category of "non-fan" and again, two separate universes and useless to argue. However, a friend of mine who does indeed like the majority of QT's films told me he recently gave JB a rewatch and said it was his favorite. As with the B-Boys scenario, I find it hard to fathom that in a world where PULP FICTION exists someone could prefer JACKIE BROWN. It doesn't compute in my brain, but to each their own.

I don't hate JB by any means, but I was really disappointed with it when it came out and at the time felt like it was a mediocre experience, and on top of that, because the Tarantino-isms were fewer and farther apart they actually stuck out much more than in his films where he is off that proverbial leash. By that I mean that if you're at the bar with Quentin, going shot for shot and bump for bump, it would be tolerable because you're on the same train. If you arrived late and he's been at it for an hour already you may be better off taking a cab home. I guess what I'm getting at is that JB feels like watered down QT, which then places it among all the post-PULP FICTION, neo-Noir, Tarantino wannabe crime films that came out in the late 90's. I'm also saying that overall, I'd much rather be on the coke train with him at full speed than being half sober and looking at Jackson and DeNiro watching TV.
                        Toyboy
                        like a hole in the head
                        Last edited by Toyboy; 09-25-2022, 11:49 AM.
                        Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

There's a hell of a lot of wisdom in what Toyboy says. It sums up my feelings of JB pretty well- I don't know my Beastie Boys well enough to entirely follow the analogy but I think I got the gist. I like it a lot but its mid tier Tarantino for me. The reason it's not at the bottom is because I actively.dislike Inglorious Bastards and Django but otherwise if I'm going to watch a Tarantino movie I want to watch a Tarantino movie and JB only half scratches the itch. True Romance actually feels more Tarantino than JB.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

A very big part of what makes Jackie Brown my favorite is the casting. Pam Grier and Robert Forester? I'll watch those two in anything and they're given excellent roles here. The Tarantinoisms come second, I guess. Those two seal it for me. I also really just genuinely like story. I will admit, seeing it first run after Pulp Fiction, I was seriously let down by it but having gone back to it a few times since then, I do enjoy it more than his other movies, and I'm someone who does enjoy his other movies. I'm not on the QT hate train at all, I own every one of his films and while not every one of them is a masterpiece, they're fun, entertaining and for the most part well made.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The Tarantinoisms aren't entirely missing in JB; he manages to sneak a neat meta-reference to THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE into the mix. There's a character in EDDIE COYLE called Jackie Brown.... and he's a gunrunner, just like Jackson's character in JB! Pretty cool.
                              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Working...
                              X