RIP Jean Luc Godard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Jean Luc Godard

Just saw this one on the news. Not too many legends left.

I wasnt the biggest fan in the world. Breathess is one of my all time favourite films but none of the others really clicked for me. I've heard Tarantino saying recently that film fans go through a Godard phase because he offers something different rather than Godard being objectiely a good filmmaker. Possibly there's something in that. It was certinly the case for me.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ave-dies-at-91
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

His filmography, to me, was uneven but man did he make some great stuff in his prime. 91 isn't a bad run.

R.I.P.

Like you say, not too many legends left.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The history of cinema cannot be written without a chapter on Godard. It's that simple. Regardless of how one felt about his films, Godard and his compatriots in the New Wave movement in the 50s and 60s changed the face of the medium.
      His BREATHLESS indeed left the film world with that feeling. His free-flowing, experimental style with jump cuts (which he claimed was a bit of an accident) mixed with his love of genre and undigested chunks of dialogue written in a literary vernacular was something to examine. As the years rolled on his films such a VIVRE SA VIE, ALPHAVILLE, CONTEMPT and WEEKEND continued to bend the definition of what was a movie.
      PIERROT LE FOU with his muse Anna Karina and BREATHLESS star Jean Paul Belmondo (each of which also passed away in the last couple of years) may have been his purest expression.

He never stopped making films, nor exploring the bounds of cinema including doing a cheeky 3D film a few years ago called GOODBYE TO LANGUAGE.

His filmography is a Language all its own.

Comment

The films of his I liked, I really loved.
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Breathless is solid but my personal favourites are Vivre Sa Vie, Pierrot le Fou and Weekend. His 60s run of films is really impressive and I dig his 80s films as well.

Comment

I posted this picture when Jean-Paul Belmondo passed away last September joining Anna Karina who left us a year or so earlier. Here they were together in Pierrot Le Fou (1965). And, now, the creator of that seminal film is gone as well.

The history in this photo. A time when Cinema really did seem to matter. To be discussed. To be taken seriously. To be savored.
            Let us not forget that feeling as we say goodbye to our screen icons, both in front of, and behind, the camera.

Au Revoir, Godard, Belmondo and Karina.

Comment

Molly Ringwald on working with Jean-Luc Godard.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ean-luc-godard
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A picture of one of the programs from this years The Hong Kong International Film Festival Society event courtesy of the Carlotta Films twitter feed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FtGQGbUaEAEXT_K.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	661.7 KB
ID:	412481

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                X