Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dom D
    replied
    Sons of bitches! Jesus, if I was working on a film these days I'd be sure that at the end of every days editing I snuck out a copy of the current cut on a thumb drive to leak to pirate bay. This is the ultimate death of mid budget movies though isn't it? Even when they, apparently, come out good it's not even worth releasing them. Why finance another $70 million film if you've got this one sitting on the shelf? With The Marvels bombing spectascularly this week you've got to wonder if there's even money in big budget movies as well. Low budget horror and films that catch that catch on as internet memes (Barbenheimmer) seem to be the only routes to success.

Leave a comment:

• James Reed

• James Reed
    replied
    Another tax write-off gone wrong at Warners. 'Coyote Vs. Acme' Earns High Praise From Industry Giants (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    DCs really taking it in the teeth with The Flash. It's not terribly reviewed and yet there's a very good chance it's not to take enough to cover its marketing budget. Which is spectacular. They could have been better off not releasing the movie at all. Warners looking at a 9 figure loss on the one. Ouch!

Following up the losses on Shazam 2 and Black Adam Warners must be wondering what they are doing in the DC business. Next up Blue Beetle which looks so done before that its hard to imagine folks turning out and then Aquaman 3. I know the last one took a billion but surely theres a limit to how often adults will turn up to watch warriors riding sharks throw tridents at one another or am I overestimating the populace?

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    The Jaime Reyes character has been a regular in the DC Universe since 2006, and while not on the level of Batman, Superman, Wonderman or the better known A-list characters DC plays with, he's definitely been around for a while and has been had a few comic book series since his introduction.

FWIW, I like the Ted Cord version too, the Ditko stories were a whole lot of fun. There's a really fun animated short included on the extras of the Constantine And The House Of Mystery Blu-ray that features the Ted Kord Blue Beetle and The Question that is worth checking out if you enjoy that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• James Reed

• James Reed
    replied
    The Blue Beetle has a looooong comic book history. Various characters with this name have been around since 1939. I'm not familiar with the version in this trailer, but I do like the 1960s version (Ted Kord) that was created by Steve Ditko.
    If you want to read the scans of the original Blue Beetle, just click on the link! Digital Comic Museum - Blue Beetle 001

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    This one kind of just appeared. I have not heard of Blue Beetle or that DC was doing another superhero introduction before the Gunn era.

It might be good but dear God it looks tired! I don't know how many films and tv shows I've seen in the last few years with the new superhero learning what his powers are. Surely even the kids are thinking that's some overly worn ground. Good to see the Cobra Kai kid getting some work though.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Someone needs to take Levis twitter account away. I can't imagine his commentary on the way his movie is crashing and burning is bringing joy to the Powers That Be at Warners. I'm guessing Gunn is pretty sanguine about this though. The last couple entries from DC give him a very low bar to clear when he starts pumping out his own product.

Leave a comment:

• James Reed

• James Reed
    replied
    More drama about Shazam! Fury of the Gods. Apparently, the rock-headed one sabotaged the movie by not allowing characters from his film to appear in the Shazam! sequel. And another article I read said that the higher-ups at Warner Bros. refused to get Henry Cavill for the first movie, resulting in a headless Superman cameo using a body double. Shazam 2 Star Blames Dwayne Johnson For Sabotaging The Film (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    Ha, must catch up.

Never going to forgive them for taking LOS ESPOOKYS away, even though it went out sweetly enough.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Goddamnit! So far I've really only had an academic interest in all the nonsense at Warners. I'm not interested in Batgirl so it doesn't bother me that much if they disappear it. But the bastards have gone and bought the fight to my door by cancelling Avenue 5 which finished season 2 with a cliff hanger. That one hurts.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    Not following this at all, just enjoy seeing the DC down to fuck thread get updated.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    All I really care about is them getting the new Swamp Thing movie right.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    One of the ideas Gunn was pushing was that movies, tv and games are treated as one continuity. That would be kind of new. Marvels done it a little bit, sort of, but never risking it's A properties to do so. This Colin Farrell quote about the new Penguin series makes it sound like Gunns supposed approach is not all hot air:

"“It’s going to be an eight-part thing around Oz’s rise to power, filling that power vacuum created when Falcone was killed. Matt’s idea was to have the Penguin show begin about a week after the end of the Batman film. And if it works, if the trajectory is interesting, and the audience goes for it, and we do our jobs right, the second Penguin feature will pick up where the HBO show will end.”

Leave a comment:

• Toyboy
    like a hole in the head

• Toyboy
    replied
    Gunn had all the passion of a McDonalds CEO making a public statement about putting the McRib on the menu permanently. This felt more like a last-ditch effort than inspired creation, and yes, I get that this is about business and competition with Marvel but that video was for Warner shareholders more so than movie goers. "I'm the guy who put dick and butthole jokes into THE SUICIDE SQUAD. You can trust me. I'll right this ship."

This announcement should feel very familiar to anyone who's followed DC Comics' regular revamps, reboots and renumberings over the last two decades (or four if you want to go back to Crisis on Infinite Earths, or five going back to the Implosion). To take this approach now that the MCU is on the downswing feels like too little, too late.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Looks like a surprisingly coherent vision. I'm hearing a lot of noise from the video game sector saying that making games to order on schedule is not the way things work for them though I assume DC must have already been in contact with games studios before the announcement so I assume they're on top of it. Curious to see if the Elseworlds concept is one the casually interested masses will be able to grasp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X