HBO, Warners, DC. The WTF thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    Sounds like James Gunn has been given he keys to the DC kingdom. Not really a fan of Gunns films but then I'm not the target market. Seems like a surprisingly sensible choice: https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/25/...udios-ceo-dceu
    Have you seen SUPER? It's the best regular-guy-puts-on-a-costume-to-fight-crime movie ever. It's astounding.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Is that the one with Rain Wilson? I have that but haven't watched it, didn't even realize it was Gunn. And I did enjoy SUICIDE SQUAD quite a bit.

Comment

Super is really good, with a genuine shock moment (and some Cheap Trick). Which reminds me, I recently found a used copy of The Specials on DVD which I must give a spin.
        agent999
        Last edited by agent999; 10-26-2022, 11:25 AM.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
          Is that the one with Rain Wilson? I have that but haven't watched it, didn't even realize it was Gunn. And I did enjoy SUICIDE SQUAD quite a bit.
          You're in for a treat. It's everything that SUICIDE SQUAD was hyped to be (although I enjoyed that one too, save for the obvious compromises). It's fearless, angry, sleazy and, best of all, it brings a real sense of danger back to cinema. It makes SS look like a PG-13.

Unfortunately, it's the film that got Marvel interested and he hasn't made anything nearly as subversive or interesting since (and probably won't).
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

Have you seen SUPER? It's the best regular-guy-puts-on-a-costume-to-fight-crime movie ever. It's astounding.
            I skipped it as it felt like there were a bunch of movies with the same premise at that time but if it's getting the thumbs up here I shall give it a look.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

You're in for a treat. It's everything that SUICIDE SQUAD was hyped to be (although I enjoyed that one too, save for the obvious compromises). It's fearless, angry, sleazy and, best of all, it brings a real sense of danger back to cinema. It makes SS look like a PG-13.
              Excellent, I'll pull it off the shelf to catch up with after my horror kick runs its course.

Comment

Interesting statement by the CEO of Warners. Basically stating that big budget movies make no financial sense for streaming services. I am Jack's total lack of surprise. Thinking back, was Bright the first one? I do recall watching Bright and thinking how the fuck does this make sense? No one is subscribing to a service just for a movie. Seems like Netflix is still going all in on the idea that movies bring subscribers though.

"We've looked hard at the direct-to-streaming business," Zaslav explained in a call to investors. "We've seen, luckily, by having access now to all the data, how direct-to-streaming movies perform, and our conclusion is that expensive, direct-to-streaming movies, in terms of how people are consuming them on the platform, how often people go there or buy it, or buy a service for it, and how it gets nourished over time. It's no comparison to what happens when you launch a film in the theaters. So this idea of expensive films going directly to streaming, we cannot find an economic case for it. We can't find an economic value for it. And so we're making a strategic shift, as part of that."
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

deleted by admin
                  Ian Jane
                  Administrator
                  Last edited by Ian Jane; 12-09-2022, 10:16 AM.

Comment

DC have the most toxic fan base since Leni Rifenstahl.

https://thedirect.com/article/dc-jam...ed-studio-plan

#firejamesgunn trending on Twitter already. Wow, that was a briefer honeymoon than even Britney Spears and Jason Alexander enjoyed.

I haven't been following closely but I believe there's some rumours that Gunn wants to junk the current set of characters and start up fresh. This after The Rock just got Warners to bring back Cavill for Black Adam.

Comment

Yes, totally unlike Snyder fans! Tarantino was right, the characters are the stars.
                      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by RacyWaters View Post
                        Most likely, Warner Bros. realized: "If the cinematic universe helped Marvel, then the same development strategy will help us." And really, why not? That's just the patience of the WB did not have enough. The film company began to rush because it is not customary to be in the role of lagging behind. Where there is haste, there are mistakes. Disputes between fans of Marvel and DC flared up with renewed vigor. Each party sees only pluses in itself, while the opponent only sees minuses. And only we, lovers of good cinema, see both sides of the coin. I recently watched a movie from Marvel and DC on [...url snipped...]and I want to say that both still compete with each other in terms of quality, and it isn't easy to single out the leader.
                        Bot detector van from the Ministry of Housinge just pulled up outside my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post

Bot detector van from the Ministry of Housinge just pulled up outside my house.
                          Thanks, missed that but it's dealt with now.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Haha. Think that might actually have been written by an AI.

Back on topic:

THEY KILT WONDER WOMEN!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235276804/

Comment

Have you heard the news? Henry Cavill is not going to return as Superman after all. The toxic fans on the internet are really pissed! I'm laughing at their comments. Henry Cavill Speaks Out on Superman Ouster: 'It's Sad News, Everyone' (msn.com)

Comment

I am not unhappy that Napoleon Solo is not also Super-Man. This was confusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X