• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Red Sonja Film Coming From Millennium Media

Press release!

MILLENNIUM MEDIA STARTS PRODUCTION ON ‘RED SONJA’

MATILDA LUTZ STARS AS RED SONJA ALONGSIDE WALLIS DAY AND ROBERT SHEEHAN

M.J. BASSETT DIRECTS

Los Angeles - August 23, 2022 – Millennium Media announced today that they have started principal photography on the highly anticipated comic book adaptation, RED SONJA, starring Matilda Lutz (Revenge, Rings, Medici) as Red Sonja, Wallis Day (Sex/Life, Batwoman) as Annisia, and Robert Sheehan (The Umbrella Academy, Misfits) as Draygan.

Additional cast include Michael Bisping (xXx: Return of Xander Cage) as Hawk, Martyn Ford as General Karlak (F9: The Fast Saga, Final Score), Eliza Matengu (Thor: Love and Thunder) as Amarak, Manal El Feitury (Code Red) as Ayala, and Katrina Durden (Doctor Strange, Shadow and Bone) as Saevus. M.J. Bassett (Solomon Kane) will be directing with the script written by Joey Soloway (Transparent) and Tasha Huo (Netflix’s Tomb Raider). The start of production will be at the Bulgarian Nu Boyana Studio with additional shoots at the Greek Nu Boyana Studio.

RED SONJA is derived from the sword and sorcery comic books of the same name by Dynamite Entertainment, based on the heroine created by Robert E. Howard and adapted by Roy Thomas.
    “I’ve wanted to make a Red Sonja movie since I was a teenager - she has been a powerful presence for me and a character that I have always wanted to bring to the screen with my own voice and vision. When I met Matilda Lutz, I knew she had all the magic I was looking for and could see the complexity and depth she would bring to Sonja,” stated M.J. Bassett.

“This has been a long journey from script to screen and we are excited to go into production after assembling the best creative team, an amazing band of up and coming talent and a fun and fantastical world fueled by the Red Sonja IP. M.J. is an amazing filmmaker with fantastic vision and Matilda was absolutely brilliant in Revenge that we knew she was right for this role the moment we saw her - making them the perfect duo for Red Sonja,” said Millennium Media’s President, Jeffrey Greenstein.

“I’ve been working with the Millennium production team on adapting this extraordinary graphic novel since Luke Lieberman brought it to us seven years ago. M.J. is a fantastic filmmaker who truly understands the power of this story that will ignite audiences everywhere. In the realm of fantasy and graphic novels, there is no greater, more empowered female character who has stood the test of time. Courtney Solomon and I are privileged to be a part of this fabulous producing team,” Producer Mark Canton stated.

Matilda Lutz’s recent projects include Paramount Pictures Zone 414 starring Guy Pearce, Neon’s Revenge, Paramount Pictures Rings starring Vincent D’Onofrio, and Netflix’s Medici starring Daniel Sharman. Her upcoming projects include Netflix’s Reptile with Alicia Silverstone, Benicio Del Toro, Frances Fisher, and Justin Timberlake, Helen’s Dead starring Dylan Gelula and Emile Hirsch, and Magpie with Daisy Ridley and Shazad Latif. Lutz is repped by The Gersh Agency, Matt Goldman, and Jackoway Austen Tyerman Wertheimer Mandelbaum Morris Bernstein Trattner & Klein.

Wallis Day is best known for her roles in Paramount’s Infinite starring Mark Wahlberg, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rupert Friend, and Dylan O’Brien, E!’s The Royals starring Elizabeth Hurley, Syfy’s Krypton starring Hannah Waddingham, and The CW’s Batwoman starring Ruby Rose. Her upcoming projects include Paramount’s Sheroes starring Isabelle Fuhrman and Netflix’s Sex/Life starring Sarah Shahi and Mike Vogel. Day is repped by UTA.

Robert Sheehan is best known for his role as Klaus in Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy starring Elliot Page, Adidan Gallagher, Tom Hopper, Emmy Raver-Lampman, David Casteneda, and Rita Arya. Sheehan is also known for his roles in Sony’s The Mortal Instruments Franchise starring Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower, Misfits starring Iwan Rheon and Antonia Thomas, and Amazon's Fortitude starring Dennis Quaid. Sheehan is repped by Lisa Richards Agency and Felker Toczek Suddleson Abramson McGinnis Ryan.

M.J. Bassett’s projects include Solomon Kane starring James Purefoy and Starz! Power starring Omari Hardwick. Her recent projects include Lionsgate’s Endangered Species starring Rebecca Romijin and Jerry O’Connell, Lionsgate’s Rogue starring Megan Fox, and episodes with Freeform’s Motherland: Fort Salem, Netflix’s Altered Carbon, and Syfy’s Nightflyers. M.J. is repped by Ragna Nervik Management and Felker Toczek Suddleson Abramson McGinnis Ryan.

Producers include Mark Canton (300, Power), Courtney Solomon (Cake, After), Luke Lieberman on behalf of Red Sonja LLC, Millennium Media’s Les Weldon, Jeffrey Greenstein, Jonathan Yunger, and Yariv Lerner, and Joe Gatta (Out of the Furnace, Conan the Barbarian).

Avi Lerner, Trevor Short, and Boaz Davidson from Millennium Media are Executive Producers alongside Dorothy Canton, Millennium Media’s Tanner Mobley, Nick Barrucci on behalf of Dynamite Entertainment, Lati Grobman and Christa Campbell on behalf of Campbell Grobman Films, Eclectic Picture’s Heidi Jo Markel, and Joey Soloway on behalf of Topple.

Hannah John Kamen has stepped aside as the lead of Red Sonja due to scheduling conflicts, and Joey Soloway will remain in their role as an EP.

ABOUT MILLENNIUM MEDIA

Millennium Media. Inc. is one of the longest-running independent film companies in Hollywood and has established itself as a leader in creating multi-billion dollar box office action franchises and acclaimed independent films. The full-service entertainment company finances, produces and sells films worldwide and has a production facility, Nu Boyana Studios, in Bulgaria, which hosts international and Hollywood productions.

Millennium is best known for the box office hits The Expendables franchise, the Fallen franchise, The Hitman’s Bodyguard franchise, Mechanic: Resurrection, and the successful reboot of the Rambo franchise, Rambo: Last Blood. It has also produced the acclaimed independent films, Rod Lurie’s The Outpost, Tesla starring Ethan Hawke, and Blackbird starring Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet. Recently released films include The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard, Till Death starring Megan Fox, Amazon’s Jolt starring Kate Beckinsale, and Lionsgate’s The Protege starring Maggie Q. Upcoming releases include the horror film Abyzou. The Enforcer starring Antonio Banderas and Kate Bosworth, The Piper starring Charlotte Hope and Julian Sands, the 4th film in The Expendables franchise, and The Bricklayer starring Aaron Eckhart and Nina Dobrev recently wrapped production.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This has been announced for at least a decade. Nice to see it finally getting started.

Also, I feel like a complete geezer because I don't recognize any of the actors in it.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Bassett's SOLOMON KANE was pretty solid, so she's at least one name I recognize. She directed the REACHER S1 finale, which blew things up okay. Not sure about the Megan Fox lion movie, gotta admit, but her multi-season run on STRIKE BACK means I'll probably see some more of her work.

Waving the Roy Thomas flag around is encouraging, maybe?

Comment

Matilda Lutz

Click image for larger version

Name:	matilda-lutz-vanities-opener-ss01.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	399079

Comment

Press release!

Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	402258

MILLENNIUM MEDIA REVEALS 'RED SONJA' FIRST LOOK FEATURING MATILDA LUTZ IN STARRING ROLE

Image Courtesy of Millennium Media

Los Angeles, CA -- October 11, 2022 - Millennium Media revealed a first look image of its upcoming film, Red Sonja, starring Matilda Lutz (Revenge) in the title role. Principal photography is currently underway at the Bulgarian Nu Boyana Studio with additional shoots at the Greek Nu Boyana Studio later this month. Based upon the popular comic book character, the film also features Wallis Day (Sex/Life, Batwoman) as Annisia and Robert Sheehan (The Umbrella Academy, Misfits) as Draygan.

Additional cast include Michael Bisping (xXx: Return of Xander Cage) as Hawk, Martyn Ford as General Karlak (F9: The Fast Saga, Final Score), Eliza Matengu (Thor: Love and Thunder) as Amarak, Manal El Feitury (Code Red) as Ayala, and Katrina Durden (Doctor Strange, Shadow and Bone) as Saevus. M.J. Bassett (Solomon Kane) is directing with the script written by Joey Soloway (Transparent) and Tasha Huo (Netflix’s Tomb Raider).

RED SONJA is derived from the sword and sorcery comic books of the same name by Dynamite Entertainment, based on the heroine created by Robert E. Howard and adapted by Roy Thomas.

ABOUT MILLENNIUM MEDIA
          Millennium Media. Inc. is one of the longest-running independent film companies in Hollywood and has established itself as a leader in creating multi-billion dollar box office action franchises and acclaimed independent films. The full-service entertainment company finances, produces and sells films worldwide and has a production facility, Nu Boyana Studios, in Bulgaria, which hosts international and Hollywood productions.

Millennium is best known for the box office hits The Expendables franchise, Olympus Has Fallen and London Has Fallen, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, and Mechanic: Resurrection. Recent films include Angel Has Fallen and the successful reboot of the Rambo franchise, Rambo: Last Blood. It has also produced the acclaimed independent films, Rod Lurie’s The Outpost, Tesla starring Ethan Hawke, and Blackbird starring Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
          X