Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

""Who needs heroes when you have thieves? Watch the NEW trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves and get ready to see it in theatres March 2023. #DnDMovie

A charming thief and a band of unlikely adventurers undertake an epic heist to retrieve a lost relic, but things go dangerously awry when they run afoul of the wrong people. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves brings the rich world and playful spirit of the legendary roleplaying game to the big screen in a hilarious and action-packed adventure.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

"Do you like those THOR movies? This is like those THOR movies! LED ZEPPELIN! SNARK! FLASHING LIGHTS! AN ACTOR NAMED CHRIS!"
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Joey, do you like movies about level 5 paladins?

Stranger Things has a lot to answer for.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

The last one was so incredibly bad I never thought anyone would ever touch d&d again. This looks ever worse!

Also: impressive career suicide Chris Pine has been on lately.
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

For a big mainstream action film I think it looks fine. The directors also did Game Night, which is quite good.

Comment

There's a problem in Tinsletown. How the hell do they make money now? Here you have a big budget special effects epic that was almost universally loved by critics, loved by audiences and still, somehow, took a vicious boot to the nuts at the box office.

There's a fair bit of Taika Watiti about this. His shtick of people behaving anachronistically/banally in extroidinary situations is pushed hard and long. I think it out Watiti's Watiti though in that it actually is fairly funny at points. Okay it's skating on charm, a lot of it provided by Hugh Grant who has become a welcome prescence now that he's an old man with a face that looks like a scrotum that smokes a pack a day. More of it comes from Pine though who shows himself to have very unexpected comic sensibilities. The man shoulders this movie and carries it bodily across the line. I enjoyed it, I tuned out during the actions sequences and checked my email, but there's a lot to like.

Here's the rub, the movies 135 minutes long. It's full of side quests and pointless dalliances that drag on horribly. Cut this down to 105 minutes and maybe you have a film that you could mention in the same breath as, say, The Princess Bride without people calling you a mindless fuckwit. No one's making those comparisons as is.

Why are all movies so long now? You remove every special effects action sequence in this and you have a really fast fun little caper. Maybe keep the one where they get chased by a Dragon but cut all the other fighting which was boring as fuck. Now you got yourself a movie son. Cut 30 minutes out of the runtime you also remove $40 million from the budget and add an extra showing a day at every cinema. How is that a bad thing? There are so many movies now that are taking hundreds of millions at the box office and still losing money. Just this year Elemental, Indy, Fast X, Flash etc etc. Of course Tom's going to make a billion with his new MI film and Barbie is going to make more money than Jesus and his disciples which is going to mask things a bit. I think the core point stands though, the cinema economics of 2019 do not hold now in 2023 and movies have to be made differently.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

It was fun and entertaining, respected the source material nicely, and didn’t look like it was made for $10. That puts it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY ahead of the previous D&D movies.

Comment

Working...
              X