Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'A Walk With Love And Death' (1968)- John Huston.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'A Walk With Love And Death' (1968)- John Huston.

Filmmaking legend John Huston's visually sumptuous, rousingly full-blooded, hugely undervalued 'A Walk With Love and Death (1968) is, for me, one of the more unfairly neglected works of 60s agitprop cinema. This rather cruel, emotionally visceral, oppressively dark tale of burgeoning love set against the squalling, brutalist backdrop of 14th century France, with its increasingly malign, irreligious mania and ceaseless warmongering has retained much of its power to draw you into this especially grim and turbulent epoch.

Unlike so many bloodless, pretty-plastic cinema couples I had a great sympathy for the desperate travails of naive, haughty, yet wholly innocent Claudia of St. Jean (Angelica Huston) and her earnest young paramour Heron of Foix (Assi Dayan), and I can readily imagine Terry Gilliam, Michael Winterbottom, Andrea Arnold, and Gaspar Noe might also appreciate Huston's doomily atmospheric, frequently distressing period masterpiece. A bold, triumphant expression of refined cinematic art made ever more divine by maestro Georges Delerue's sublime score! While
    'A Walk With Love and Death' is certainly not without its missteps, it is quite obvious that Huston's majestic, witheringly unsentimental film has not only endured, the galvanizing themes of an impoverished, ruthlessly exploited minority angrily rising up against their mercenary ruling classes is disturbingly relevant!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 John Huston's hugely undervalued 'A Walk With Love and Death (1968) is, for me, one of 60s cinema's most neglected works! This dark tale of burgenoing love agianst an especially b.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	396944

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	396945

Huge Huston fan and somehow never heard of this one.

Comment

Aye! The more I watch this one, the more I appreciate it! Like you, I am a life-long Huston fan.

Comment

Working...
      X