Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (Daniels, 2022)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (Daniels, 2022)

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (2022) - If nothing else, Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (collectively Daniels) certainly must be credited with a truth in titling nod for their movie - It certainly (and repeatedly) lives up to its moniker.

Scraping away all of the noise, EVERYTHING actually has a very basic premise which could have resulted in some poignancy. A Chinese-American couple, Evelyn (Michelle Yeoh) and Waymond (Ke Huy Quan), are having marital issues which extend to communicating with their daughter Joy (Stephanie Hsu). Adding to the discord are a crusty IRS Agent (an almost unrecognizable Jamie Lee Curtis) who has the family business under audit, and Evelyn's father Gong (James Hong; a fine presence here) -- who she also has parental issues with.

Unfortunately, Daniels have piled on a Multi-verse plot which combines elements of THE MATRIX, SLIDING DOORS and the recent SPIDERMAN: FAR FROM HOME. Instead of having three Spidermen, we seemingly have dozens of iterations of Evelyn. What the Daniels don't bring are a clear clean narrative, genuine insight or a semblance of drama (something the other three pictures all had). Certainly, Daniels get points for a few amusing bits and pieces along the way, but no matter how many hot dogs, bagels, pet rocks and raccoons that are fetishized here, the characters get lost in the sound and fury. Also noteworthy is that any faintly clever notion will be repeated and repeated -- so it's safe to take refreshment breaks. It's like an old Warner Brothers cartoon, except that Chuck Jones and Tex Avery could express their craziness in a tidy 7 minutes, not the elephantine 132 here (a couple of times, audience members got up thinking it was over; and, at the end there was audible sighs of relief that it actually was).

The cast is game (dozens of Michelle Yeohs isn't a bad thing) and the effects are quite good for a fairly modestly budgeted effects extravaganza. As noted at the outset, there is an actual family story to be told here (and, eventually, does), but for all of Daniels' fancy tricks, the ending could much more cogently been arrived at with little if any of the sound and fury. After all the convoluted metaphysical happenings the big takeaway is the simplest of homilies. Indeed, one could eliminate almost the entirety of the almost two hour SFX sideshow and arrive at the very same life lesson with only a couple of 'verses' - or, even just one.

I was listening to The Movies That Made Me yesterday. It's my absolute favourite podcast, Joe Dante and Josh Olsen get people who have a movie to push and rather than have them sell their movie they get them to tell us about the movies that made them who they are. They had the team behind this film on the other day. The worst episode since the David Arquette one (I'm quite sure David Arquette has never actually seen a film). No discernible knowledge or passion for film- is anyone passionate about Who Framed Roger Rabbit? They mentioned that they first met while learning Maya together. I got the impression that those behind the scenes technicalities are the true passion. Anyway, this seems to mostly get good reviews but I'm already feeling biased against it.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      I was listening to The Movies That Made Me yesterday. It's my absolute favourite podcast, Joe Dante and Josh Olsen get people who have a movie to push and rather than have them sell their movie they get them to tell us about the movies that made them who they are. They had the team behind this film on the other day. The worst episode since the David Arquette one (I'm quite sure David Arquette has never actually seen a film). No discernible knowledge or passion for film- is anyone passionate about Who Framed Roger Rabbit? They mentioned that they first met while learning Maya together. I got the impression that those behind the scenes technicalities are the true passion. Anyway, this seems to mostly get good reviews but I'm already feeling biased against it.
      Interesting. Haven't read or heard much about Daniels. Are they really that lite-weight?

One critic had a good line about them: "the film comes off as a sickly cynical feature-length directorial pitch reel for a Marvel movie."
      JoeS
      Last edited by JoeS; 04-17-2022, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post

Interesting. Having read or heard much about Daniels. Are they really that lite-weight?

One critic had a good line about them: "the film comes off as a sickly cynical feature-length directorial pitch reel for a Marvel movie."
        The Daniels did SWISS ARMY MAN, which was pretty interesting.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

No discernible knowledge or passion for film- is anyone passionate about Who Framed Roger Rabbitt?
          Maybe the Daniels are? You could pretty much say that about any film, particularly one that you're not passionate about. Any and all titles are fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

Maybe the Daniels are? You could pretty much say that about any film, particularly one that you're not passionate about. Any and all titles are fair game.
            Possibly. Not all films are created equal though. If I'm at a party chatting to a couple guys, and favourite movies comes up, and one of them loves Apocalypse Now and the other loves Suddenly 30 I'm going to be chatting with the Apocalypse Now guy. Just much greater odds that dude is interesting. Although if you're going to talk about Roger Rabbit with anyone Dante's the man. Looking back he should have been the one directing that movie. His passion for the old cartoons should have carried the day and I'm sure he would delivered a much more intersting movie. Apparently he did audition to be Roger Rabbit's voice. He was Zemekis' first pick.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Possibly. Not all films are created equal though. If I'm at a party chatting to a couple guys, and favourite movies comes up, and one of them loves Apocalypse Now and the other loves Suddenly 30 I'm going to be chatting with the Apocalypse Now guy. Just much greater odds that dude is interesting.
              Really? I'm actually tired of hearing people talk about APOCALYPSE NOW. I'd personally rather hear somebody praise an oddball title, as long as they're passionate about their reasons; I don't care if somebody likes APOCALYPSE NOW if they have nothing interesting to say about it.

I understand your point, though. Obviously I can't take someone that seriously when they tell me that TRANSFORMERS is their favourite film, but on the other hand, it's a slippery slope when you start signalling out specific titles that you deem unworthy of praise. It's all subjective.

Comment

Roger Rabbit is just one example from a passionless hour. When you get guests on to talk about the artform they get to work in (such a privilege) the passion should be dripping from 'em. It almost always does. Sometimes that passion can be conformist and boring. Laurence Of Arabia comes up so often I wan to scream when it gets mentioned but often guests surprise you. Who expects Thomas Jane to come on an do a deep dive for an hour into French 60s crime but he did! I love that stuff. Or an actress from Downton Abbey called Tuppence Middleton (Tuppence ffs!) who I thought would be an incredibly boring listen and came on and started discussing very obscene, extremely obscene, German transgressive cinema? I'm just suspicious of anyone working in a field like this who doesn't radiate a love for it.

Comment

Thanks for turning me on to this podcast, BTW. The guest list is very cool. I'm going to listen to the Bobcat Goldthwait/Dana Gould episode first.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                    Thanks for turning me on to this podcast, BTW. The guest list is very cool. I'm going to listen to the Bobcat Goldthwait/Dana Gould episode first.
                    The Daniel Waters episode is pretty good too. Next in queue: Charles Band. Likely not great but could be interesting, as they (Dante / Olson) aren't likely to get too confrontational.

Comment

I went into a theater for the first time since the pandemic started to see Everything Everywhere All At Once, since a pal who was visiting was eager to see it again and described it as well worth seeing on the big screen. I gotta agree with him: I thought it was one helluva great flick. Yes, it’s a family melodrama with the heaviest possible gonzo veneer laid on top of it, but Daniels just go all out with things escalating into ever-increasing amounts of batshit insanity and it’s a lot of fun. All of the actors are swinging for the fences, with Michelle Yeoh both leaning into the hijinx and also grounding the film emotionally, along with Ke Huy Quan, who brings equal parts gusto and heart to the experience. There was more than one fight scene where I laughed harder than I have at a movie in quite some time and other moments - not many, admittedly, but some - that are quietly poignant. Do you need this level of zany hijinx to get people to watch a drama of this sort? Of course not, but it’s certainly a fun change of pace. I had a great time with the film, didn’t feel it was overlong even at 130ish minutes. I didn’t love Swiss Army Man - I thought it was good but mostly remember being delighted by the opening sequence and returns diminishing for me from there - but I thoroughly enjoyed Everything Everywhere All At Once and highly recommend it, on the big screen or otherwise.

Edit: Also, someone please give the editor a raise and/or Academy Award.

Comment

UHD/Blu-ray release coming from Lionsgate 6/14/22.

Click image for larger version

Name:	278929623_1660256784317534_1432212428902376361_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	391736
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I sort of liked Swiss Army Man, but felt the hype for this could not really be warranted. I hate being right. My god what an overlong self indulgent turd this was. And I still absolutely loved the first hour or so. But these Daniels certainly do not shy away from overexplaining and repeating over and fucking over again. Even the jokes that were funny the first time become pretty stale the third of fourth time they are repeated within minutes.

Such a waste of a good idea and some very fun actors. I feel that if there was ever need for studio interfearence, this was it. Someone needed to come in and demand cuts and re-editing to make this watchable. (Cause there is somewhat of a fun idea hiding in there)
                          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Cover art for the Walmart exclusive UHD release.

Click image for larger version

Name:	284561027_1683561785320367_5542959225181383603_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	394173
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X