Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

I'm just going to leave this here...

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I'm not sure what to think of it but I do want to see it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      I'm not sure what to think of it but I do want to see it.
      I wanted to see it too and so I did. Quite enjoyed it up until the plot started. It starts out well enough with a very self deprecating turn from Mr Cage. I liked the stuff with him trying to keep his career humming. At a certain point it starts playing like an 80s buddy action movie. The set-ups too silly for that to work. It gets to feeling very long even though its not. I lost the will to live a half hour or so before the film ended.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I wanted to see it too and so I did. Quite enjoyed it up until the plot started. It starts out well enough with a very self deprecating turn from Mr Cage. I liked the stuff with him trying to keep his career humming. At a certain point it starts playing like an 80s buddy action movie. The set-ups too silly for that to work. It gets to feeling very long even though its not. I lost the will to live a half hour or so before the film ended.
        This sums it up perfectly. The thriller plot was so generic I couldn't believe they actually thought people would care.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
          This sums it up perfectly. The thriller plot was so generic I couldn't believe they actually thought people would care.
          Entirely agree with you both.

In fact, Dom's post succinctly makes the same points I used about 500 words of rambling blather to try to convey in the 'What Have You Watched Recently?' thread a few months ago.

It's a shame it goes off the rails so quickly, because the first act, featuring Cage's travails in Hollywood, is really strong; if they'd just stuck with that and played it as a semi-fictionalised meta-comedy / film industry satire kind of deal, it could have been great.
          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have to agree with the posters above. It starts of great, and the primse is fantastic. Then it just fizzles into predictable and mediocre. Some highlights such as Cages disguise near the end,but overall this film just doesn't cut it.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Everyone here has pretty much covered my thoughts

Comment

Of all the actors in Hollywood, there is no better choice than Nicolas Cage to take on the role of....Nicolas Cage. Director and co-writer Tom Gormican (with Kevin Etten) has created a truly Meta movie. Cage is brave enough to essay a character which most would find too uncomfortably close to portray in a fictional drama.

The onscreen Nicolas Cage we find here is no longer the A list Oscar-winning star he once was. He's a novelty item who takes roles for the money. He's become a pain to his ex-wife (Sharon Horgan) and daughter (Lily Mo Sheen). He's even seen literally begging for a role in a parking lot from a young director. His agent (Neil Patrick Harris) bails him out of his financial bind by selling him out to a rich overseas olive grower with mob connections, Javi (Pedro Pascal).

Cage and Pascal have good onscreen chemistry, but, once the plot gets revealed (which includes Tiffany Haddish as a CIA agent) the script becomes pretty rote. There are a few amusing bits and homages to Cage's films (including giving him a twin 'Nicky' - shades of ADAPTATION), but the main plot is the kind of second rate TAKEN knockoff that even the real Nicolas Cage would probably turn down. And, if you can't guess the ending, you're not really trying.

Cage gives it his all. Despite the cult that surrounds the actor for giving over the top performances in straight to streaming B movies, Cage is still a very talented actor as PIG reminded audiences just last year. UNBEARABLE needed to be more clever to truly pull off the Meta concept, but, Cage and Pascal do make it quite 'bearable' at least.

UNBEARABLE is available to stream on Starz and on VOD. It's on DVD, Blu Ray and 4K UHD.

Comment

Working...
                X