Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEODROME Remake/ Update

Yes....I can't believe it either....

David Cronenberg's VIDEODROME was released theatrically on February 4, 1983. It was outgrossed in the U.S. by Peter Greenaway's THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT. The film has since acquired a cult following, but it remains virtually unknown by mainstream moviegoers.

But Universal, the studio that thought it would be a fine idea to make a prequel to one of the biggest bombs of 1982 (John Carpenter's THE THING), is once again going to the flop well because they're petrified by original ideas. And they've hired an unproven commercial director (which worked so well for them on THE 47 RONIN) and a guy who once accidentally wrote an above-average screenplay to update it.

According to Deadline's Michael Fleming, Ehren Kruger (who will write the film) and producer Daniel Bobker plan to "modernize" Cronenberg's film by addressing nano-technology. They also want to turn it into a "large-scale sci-fi action thriller". Um, Universal? Have you looked at the box office for the TOTAL RECALL remake? That was actually a hit in its original incarnation.

The director of this proposed remake, Adam Berg, does appear to be talented.
    So...there you go...depressing news of the day....they are going to remake VIDEODROME to be a large scale sci-fi thriller....In other words...they are NOT going to re-make Videodrome...they are going to use its name to make a crap movie .....

Proof positive that there should be an indefinite moratorium placed on the making of any new films.

Comment

Cronenberg is spinning in his grave.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
        The director of this proposed remake, Adam Berg, does appear to be talented.
        Well that's good enough for me.

EDIT Just looked him up. Doesn't appear to have done anything to show that he can, you know, tell a story but the effects here are awesome:

Last edited by Dom D; 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

come on Dom, don't be so negative....

It has been proved time and time again that making 30 second tv commercials OR 3 min music video is VIRTUALLY THE SAME AS making an intelligent, exciting well made 90 + minute movie...so you can all relax now...i see no problem with a guy with NO EXPERIENCE in making movies and a scriptwriter who doesnt write the best screenplays ever being let loose on an old Cronenberg classic....

Actually...wonder what Cronenberg thinks of this move....hope he is not behind it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
            come on Dom, don't be so negative....

It has been proved time and time again that making 30 second tv commercials OR 3 min music video is VIRTUALLY THE SAME AS making an intelligent, exciting well made 90 + minute movie...so you can all relax now...i see no problem with a guy with NO EXPERIENCE in making movies and a scriptwriter who doesnt write the best screenplays ever being let loose on an old Cronenberg classic....

Actually...wonder what Cronenberg thinks of this move....hope he is not behind it!!!
            He's probably thinking the same thing John Carpenter thought when he heard that that no account hack RZ was going to be making a mockery of out of his film Halloween, "at least I'm getting a check out of this."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
              He's probably thinking the same thing John Carpenter thought when he heard that that no account hack RZ was going to be making a mockery of out of his film Halloween, "at least I'm getting a check out of this."
              That's probably it right there. I know there was talk of a Scanners remake at one point a few years back. Evidently it never happened. Figures someone would start mining Cronenberg's stuff for remakes sooner or later, but I am pretty surprised that Videodrome was the first one to go.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Assuming it actually happens, it'll just be another cinematic excuse to throw some sloppy cgi up on the screen. Then off to dvd with an hour of behind the scenes footage that no one could care less about. Of course there will have to be an interview with the director in which he'll fumble through some "softball" questions thrown his way.

Yes, the cinematic future for this film looks great, doesn't it?

Comment

Cronenberg already did this. It was called eXistenZ

Comment

Working...
                  X