SHOWGIRLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
    I used to have the laserdisc of this one...and it was definitely a FULL CROTCH SHOT KUNG FU KICK.....Was too busy laughing at it and thinking WTF to pay much attention....but I guess the laserdisc was correct ratio....

i am gonna watch this one again this weekend I think...See if I still enjoy it or not...

Esterhas' big mistake was believing his own hype.....He was perfectly adequate writing stuff like NOWHERE TO RUN for Van Damme...before he went up is own arse after BASIC INSTINCT...
    I like Ezsterhas' work with Verhoeven, but he's guilty of recycling the same bag of tricks he used in JAGGED EDGE over and over. (There was an article in Premiere in 1993 that highlighted this element in the scripts for BASIC INSTINCT, SLIVER, BETRAYED and MUSIC BOX - but JADE and SHOWGIRLS followed suit. An article in Neon in 1997, called 'Join the Plots', dealt with this quite openly.)
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
      I like Ezsterhas' work with Verhoeven, but he's guilty of recycling the same bag of tricks he used in JAGGED EDGE over and over. (There was an article in Premiere in 1993 that highlighted this element in the scripts for BASIC INSTINCT, SLIVER, BETRAYED and MUSIC BOX - but JADE and SHOWGIRLS followed suit. An article in Neon in 1997, called 'Join the Plots', dealt with this quite openly.)
      I presumably thought he was onto a good thing....a kind of "if its not broken...dont fix it" kind of deal......

Comment

Elizabeth Berkley finally embraces Showgirls!

LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Good on her! It really isn't as bad a film as it is made out to be. It is just so tasteless and vulgar.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

It's a horribly written, horribly acted bag of shit. I watched it recently and couldn't believe how much it sucked. Berkeley can't act and she's about as attractive as a scabby butthole.

Comment

SHOWGIRLS is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I find wildly entertaining. It's trashy fun. I find Elisabeth Berkeley to be very attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                SHOWGIRLS is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I find wildly entertaining. It's trashy fun. I find Elisabeth Berkeley to be very attractive.
                Agree with everything here...except the Elizabeth Berkeley bit

I DO however believe she gives the role everything she has got....She should have been in the sequel!!!

Comment

Paul Verhoeven reflects on the 20th anniversary of Showgirls.

Excellent stuff here written by the deviant Dutchman himself. He confirms what many fans knew all along and what most critics were too stupid to comprehend 20 years ago, chiefly:

People have, of course, criticized her for being over-the-top in her performance. Most of that comes from me. I pushed it in that direction. Good or not good, I was the one who asked her to exaggerate everything — every move — because that was the element of style that I thought would work for the movie.
                  Another standout:

I asked David Stewart of the Eurythmics, who was our composer for the film, to write the music for the big Vegas shows in a kind of banal way, because I was thinking an American audience seeing a show called "a musical" was probably expecting these numbers to be written by Leonard Bernstein and choreographed by Jerome Robbins. So I didn't do that. I wanted to push the fact that it was all not-so-good stuff. I won't say "shit," but that's what it would be. It was basically over-the-top Vegas. And I'm responsible for a lot of those things.

I always felt that it was what you might call a hyperbolic approach to filmmaking. Yes, it was over the top. And that was on purpose. The environments were very flashy. There were too many lights, too many idiotic things, and too much Vegas — not only in the surroundings, but "Vegas" in the way the people behaved, in the dialogue, in the acting. As for the finished product: I thought it was perfect. Otherwise I would have changed it. I had time to change it. I could change whatever was there.

Comment

I LOVE this movie. I saw it TWICE in the theaters. For me its an Exploitation movie with money. And I use to not be too hot on Berkley being in it- but now I realize she plays crazy pretty well. My Bf and I have made this into a drinking game which is always fun when we watch it. :) Now the sequel that has been made doesn't look like much... but I still want to watch it and own it. I just LOVE sleaze.

Comment

There is a thread somewhere on here where we discuss the sequel....In some ways the sequel is even more awesome than the first (in a different way of course!) and kind of a perfect companion piece

Comment

There is a thread somewhere on here where we discuss the sequel....In some ways the sequel is even more awesome than the first (in a different way of course!) and kind of a perfect companion piece
                        Awesome!! :) I'll wait to jump in that thread till I get the movie.

Comment

Awesome!! :) I'll wait to jump in that thread till I get the movie.

Comment

This book's supposed to be good:

Adam Nayman
                            It Doesn't Suck: SHOWGIRLS

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/1770411747/

I haven't picked it up yet.

Comment

:gory::emily:

Comment

According to Verhoeven, a "Nomi does Hollywood" sequel was originally planned called "Bimbos"!

But we had actually been working on the sequel to 'Showgirls' which was going to be called 'Bimbos' and was going to be 'Nomi does Hollywood', but after 'Showgirls' was released there was no way anyone was going to give me money for that.

If we could just make Elizabeth Berkley 20 years younger now I would love to make 'Bimbos' today.
                                I also didn't know Charlize Theron was originally considered for Nomi. He should totally make the Bimbos movie. Forget about making Berkley look 20 years younger, she's stunning the way she is now.

Comment

Working...
                                X