2012 Sight And Sound poll is in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Sight And Sound poll is in.

The problem with the Sight And Sound poll is becoming more obvious with every edition. Previous lists are affecting the current one. Critics know from past polls that if, for instance, they want a Hitchcock on the list then they have to vote for Vertigo. And so they are choosing their titles from an ever decreasing pool of films. At this point it looks like the snake has well and truely eaten itself. The winners are:

1. Vertigo
    2. Citizen Kane
    3. Tokyo Story
    4. The Rules of the Game
    5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
    6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    7. The Searchers
    8. Man with a Movie Camera
    9. The Passion of Joan of Arc
    10. 8 1/2

Vertigo: I like Vertigo. It's a bit of fun. Saying it's the best film ever made is like reading The Postman Always Rings Twice and declaring it literatures greatest work.
    Citizen Kane: Lost top spot at last. Interesting to see how that affects blurbs on DVD covers for the next 10 years.
    Tokyo Story: Perfect critic movie. Very long and dull to the point of phone checking tedium but it is quite moving as these things go and also- and this is important- it's very, very basic so critics can discuss it safely knowing they're not missing out on any subtext. This is why Antonioni misses out on these lists despite being just as slow. Critics can help suspecting there might be something underneath his films that they're missing.
    The Rules Of The Game: Never made it to the end of this one so can't honestly comment. Tried a few times though.
    Sunrise: Fuck me... A technical marvel of '20s filmmaking with a story so basic and absurdly silly it couldn't pad out a short.
    2001: Okay. I guess.
    The Searchers: I like The Searchers. Can't think of a single way in which it's superior to Once Upon A Time In The West though.
    Man With A Movie Camera: okay now this is getting silly. You get exactly what the title promises you if you sit down to watch this one. Yes it's experimental, does a few new things but really who gives a fuck? Throwing in some split screen and whatnot is not enough to make your film important.
    8 1/2: Fair 'nough. Prefer early Fellini myself, before it all became about midget and fat women but I understand a lot of people are quite taken with the midgets and fat women phase of his career so there you go.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Vertigo: I love this film although it competes with Shadow of a Doubt as my favourite Hitchcock. I wouldn't say it's one of the best films ever but I think it's a lot more complex than you're giving it credit for by comparing it to the Postman Always Rings Twice.

Citizen Kane: Great movie although I like Magnificent Ambersons even more.

Tokyo Story: Sorry, I love this film too and while I can see that some find it boring, it's not actually slow at all, just about characters which I guess some find slow. 2001 is a much slower film.

The Rules Of The Game: Never seen all of Rules of the Game? This film is really funny, different stroke for different folks I guess...

Sunrise: I dig this a lot too, sure the story is basically a melodrama, that's true for the majority of films ever made.

2001: An easy one to hate but some great stuff here, not nearly as great as some claim, I prefer The Shining.

The Searchers: This is a very well written western but I prefer Ford's B&W westerns like My Darling Clementine and Fort Apache.

Man With A Movie Camera: You seem to really get worked up here, this is a fun and interesting film. Best film ever? Probably not, but who can really pick the 10 Best Films Ever? I'd probably go with Earth over this in terms of early Soviet films.

8 1/2: For my money Nights of Cabiria is Fellini's masterpiece, 8 1/2 is excellent but after that it's downhill although I've come to enjoy some of his later films more than I did initially.

You didn't comment on Passion of Joan of Arc I noticed, have you seen it? I think it's simply amazing, really one of the greatest films I've ever seen, tremendously moving. I can't see putting Sunrise or Man with a Movie Camera ahead of it, personally I might put it as number one.
    Randy G
    Last edited by Randy G; 08-02-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

http://www.ultraculture.co.uk/12342-...db-reviews.htm

Comment

Working...
      X